Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

School seizes rosary beads from student,

lpveland school rosary beads manuel vigil

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

wow......this is pretty much on the same level as the pepsi protest -.-

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#17    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

Ummm just watched the clip and seems very fake.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#18    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 16 September 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

So all the nuns wearing rosary beads I saw were doing something inappropriate? I can understand that faithful Christians might not like to see them being worn by a "non-believer" as a fashion item, but that is not the case here.

Edit: I also think that there is nothing more graceful as wearing something around your neck. It is certainly nicer than stuffing it in your pocket.
you're suppose to stuff em in your pocket or your a gangster

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#19    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

i sorta understand why schools ban you from wearing rosary beads cuz once i saw a gangster wearing buddha or rosary beads (cant tell difference) and a cross shouting on the streets saying "GOD IS A VIRGIN A*HOLES!" so i sorta understand why schools think tat he is a gangster and btw the article sounds exaggerated

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#20    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

View Postcsspwns, on 17 September 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

you're suppose to stuff em in your pocket or your a gangster
If I wear them around my neck, that doesn't turn me into a gangster.

Something about this story bothers me: So they claimed this boys very own rosary is a gang symbol, because one part of it consists of 13 beads instead of 10? How did they know that before they had confiscated it? Who came up with that idea anyway? If it"s a gang symbol, I am sure the other gang member would flash this as well, or is this boy the only member?

Anyway, I really hope they turn those hideous Ed Hardy shirts into a gang symbol pretty soon.

#21    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

Children shouldn't be allowed to show any individuality ever. Anything can be a gang sign! Just stick them in burlap sacks, also, gals, no more makeup. Gang signs! Children and their religions and their clothing with signs and words on them scare me. Protect me, protect our children. -sarcasm-

Posted Image

~MEH~

#22    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,211 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 16 September 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Hey, maybe they should make the kids come to school naked that way they won't have any symbols at all.
Or, like in other countries make them wear uniforms to school.
Also ... if you wear Rosiary Beads, they're to worn around the wrist, not the neck.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#23    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

There is no hard and fast rule regarding if you can wear the rosary around the neck since it is dependant on culture. Hispanics often wear them this way. They can also be used as fashion statements since there really is no other reason to buy a Dolce and Gabbana rosary. Some will say that is sacrilegious but those type of people would probably find you guilty of some other sin anyway.

The kid's parents should look into getting an education voucher and sending him to a parochial school. Maybe they wouldn't even let him wear it there if they do not respect his culture and want to do things "their way".

Kids really need to stop trying to break rules and stuff even if it is for a legitimate reason. School should not really be the place to express your religion in the first place since we are there to learn. It is not like one would even have time to even begin praying the rosary at school.

I swear people want to whine about anything now days.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit, 18 September 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#24    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Also why was the media even contacted. It doesn't even sound as if the parent of this student has even made contact with the school.

#25    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,520 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

In western cuture Rosaries are not typically worn around the neck or even the wrist (chaplets are worn on the wrist generally) However, in Mexico, and I believe the student in this article was Mexican, they are often worn around the neck. If he's really not a gang member and it sounds like he probably isn't, then slipping it inside his shirt shouldn't have been a problem. This might be more of a cultural problem rather than a religious one.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#26    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,389 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Many teachers and school administrators do not understand that it is perfectly acceptable under the Constitution for a student to express his/her religious opinions in public school.  What is outlawed by the Constitution is imposition of religion by the teachers or administrators and it would seem that this is exactly what they are doing.  The school is allowed to ban disruptive behavior.  In that case, they need to show how the wearing of Rosary beads is disruptive.

It seems to me that the school has overstepped its authority out of ignorance.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#27    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

i am catholic but i never wear my rosary around my neck. it is used while praying. My great aunt was a nun and she never wore her rosary either. get him a small cross on a chain and he can wear that under his shirt.  kids are more tolerant than adults. I agree it is the adults who have the problem. If there is an issue at what kids are wearing then every one should be wearing school uniforms. the school should be concentrating on TEACHING children their three r's not their fashion or religious symbols. would a child wearing a burqua offend the rest of the students? I think no more than a christian or any other religious symbol. adults are passing on their lack or tolerance and divisions to the children. thankfully my kids went to school when the schools were actually sane and a place of learning not intolerance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users