Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Eye Contact Quells Online Hostility

online hostility human behaviour eye contact

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Read any Web forum, and you'll agree: people are meaner online than in “real life.” Psychologists have largely blamed this disinhibition on anonymity and invisibility: when you're online, no one knows who you are or what you look like. A new study in Computers in Human Behavior, however, suggests that above and beyond anything else, we're nasty on the Internet because we don't make eye contact with our compatriots.

http://www.scientifi...on-the-internet

Posted Image

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

I've met some of my detractors in person,a few times. They say ,nothing in person .....go figure .

Miss me?

#3    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm a nice person online and offline.

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

I guess Psychologists come out with any old rubbish at times.I do look a person in the eyes,and if I get the right vibes I'm ok with them. The same applies on the web,if a person is ok, I'll be friends, if not,  well ......you can learn a lot from a persons eyes, and I reckon you can also learn a lot from the way a person expresses themselves in writing...( how am I doing so far) ha ha..Cheers.

Edited by spud the mackem, 17 September 2012 - 04:01 PM.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,270 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

That's why I wear my shades in my avatar, I don't want all you UM monkeys to start going soft on me after a bit of eye contact!

Edited by Junior Chubb, 17 September 2012 - 04:37 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,453 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

I'm pretty much the same online as I am in person.  If the topic of discussion bores me I don't have anything to say.  I'll treat you like you treat me.

#7    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Me too. I don't really change a great deal because I simply don't have to change, however I was on a local chatroom once and we had a couple guys who were abusive and often times hijacked threads, started flaming wars and pretty much threatened to kick my ass to a fair-thee-well if we ever met in real life. I actually got a nasty email for one of the admins, so one day out of the blue someone decided to have a real life met thing for all of us at a local hotel. So I show up and they have name tags for us all with our real names and our on-line handles. I got to meet the real bad-ass who was gonna whip my ass and he was a freaking sawed off little dork of a kid who had no social skills and *I swear* taped together glasses. So I walk up to him and smile, he looks at my name tag and very nearly wets himself when he sees I didn't exaggerate my size, He'd described himself as being a real bad ass biker type. All I could do was laugh at him, he was pathetic.

I do actually try to walk away from some posters now *Snip* I just used the ignore feature and pretty much don't have to worry about them, even had to complain to the admins about a couple of them......... *Snip*  That pretty much sums it up.

Edited by Karlis, 17 September 2012 - 09:32 PM.
6c. Appeal: Do not ... make posts ... to complain about, ... moderator action.

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,792 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

I am about the same. I am neither black or white, I am a gray wizard.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

I think I may be nicer online then I am offline.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#10    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Since I believe I'm one of the people ken has ignored, I have free reign to say anything about him I want without his defending himself so:

If I ever ran into him I'd...

<sorry, damned glasses fell apart again> ... whip his ass!!

Jokes aside, something very similar to what he described happened to me. When I was in college I was chatting with people via telnet and this dude enters the room starts immediately trolling hard. I was in the library and tried to ignore him but he kept going on and on about what he'd do to me if we ever ran into each other. I asked him if he was at home right now. His response was, "Huh?". I explained that being students at the same university we were able to look each other up via username. When I arranged for us to bump into each other and give him a chance to make good on all the things he was dying to do, he decided he'd only been joking.

While there are "keyboard warriors", I think as much as anything the lack of body language and tone make it easier to miss someone's humor.

#11    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

I've learnt to take negativity from online people with a pinch of salt, even though it can be hurtful to be trolled and attacked. Human's use body language to communicate so we're already at a disadvantage when we start chatting online without a webcam. That's why I like to use smileys because they help to portray a little of the emotion behind my words. We have to give each other the benefit of the doubt sometimes but then also have the sense to realise that some people just choose to be mean online for their kicks!

#12    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

View Postsam12six, on 17 September 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

While there are "keyboard warriors", I think as much as anything the lack of body language and tone make it easier to miss someone's humor.

Agreed.

Don't forget online you have a greater chance of meeting people who don't agree with you and some topics you talk about online rarely comes out in everyday conversation which can turn nice people in to a prick sometimes. Competition like online gaming can turn the nicest people comparable to football hooligans who would riot after their favorite team lost. If it was just the eye contact thing wouldn't it also apply to like uhh phones. The losing anonymity and invisibility makes more sense then just eye contact. Eye contact means you get to see their face.... which means you can find said face.... then you can slap it for being smart.

It's honestly more fun to call internet tough guys then actually meet them. It's often more frightening to know that somebody knows where they are and where they live and have no idea what you actually look like. It's even better when you find out they live with their parents. :yes:

Edited by Jinxdom, 18 September 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,270 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

View PostJinxdom, on 18 September 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

It's honestly more fun to call internet tough guys then actually meet them. It's often more frightening to know that somebody knows where they are and where they live and have no idea what you actually look like. It's even better when you find out they live with their parents. :yes:

You should try on-line gaming, your words ring even more true when applied to PlayStation Network or Xbox Live...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#14    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:29 AM

I don't make eye contact with people in real life. It makes me feel awkward.

I don't think I am mean in real life or on the internet. But I'm not nice either.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#15    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

View PostHasina, on 17 September 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

I think I may be nicer online then I am offline.
same, but not by my choosing or anything i just dont think when i talk so i come off as rude in person.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users