Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 6 votes

The Girl Scout Camp Murders

girl scout murder oklahoma

• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#1    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

I did a forum search for this and found it has been mentioned but in a topic of its own...

Posted Image

On June 12th 1977, three young girls from Tulsa, Oklahoma - Lori Lee Farmer, 8, Michelle Guse, 9, and Doris Denise Milner, 10, were at Camp Scott – a Girl Scout camp near Locust Grove, Oklahoma, with about 100 other girls.

This link is from a 2008 post by gaia227… so if you’re still here Thanks!
http://voices.yahoo....481.html?cat=37

There is a forum specifically for this case for any interested…
http://girlscoutmurders.yuku.com/

#2    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

POPULAR

It was Incredibly irresponsible of the counselors to ignore the girls report of some creepy man peeping his head in the tents and another being grabbed.

#3    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostThomas J, on 17 September 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

It was Incredibly irresponsible of the counselors to ignore the girls report of some creepy man peeping his head in the tents and another being grabbed.

Yes, that is the most incredible thing about this to me... I've looked around to see what (if anything) was done to them, but can't even find their names - except for Barbara Day... I'm sure they felt just absolutely horrible about it all, and it probably haunted them for the rest of their lives ... but still, they should have at least conducted a head count to see if any of the girls had wandered off in the confusion...

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

With the girls reporting a man being around and grabbing one of them I think I would of called police, posted guards, something.

#5    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

The comment by Barbara Day that she had received death threats for the camp and that '4 girls would be killed' struck me as interesting...  Each of the other tents had four girls in them... A last minute change had the victims tent with only three... So the killer may have known a lot about how the camp was set up and run...

#6    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Found this website if anyone is Interested:
http://www.girlscout...s.com/index.php

#7    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostThomas J, on 17 September 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Found this website if anyone is Interested:
http://www.girlscout...s.com/index.php

Thanks, every interesting site...  I was reading about some of the people involved and was struck by a comment by the judge following the acquital verdict "Sometimes in our system of justice, even the guilty go free"... Seems the judge was fairly convinced that Hart was the guilty one...

Also I note that earlier I stated the girls were carried 150 yards from their tents.. apparently it was 150 FEET not yards... my bad...

#8    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Actually Thomas J that was an excellent site about this crime...  I am learning a lot of things about it I never knew.. Right now I am reading up on the medicine man Crying Wolf, and his being questioned about 'skin walkers' and 'Stageny' and if Hart was one or thought he was one...

Very interesting find thank you very much...

#9    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

Two books have been written about the murders, the first by two of the OSBI agents Mike and Dick Wilkerson (brothers) called "Someone Cry For the Children", and the last one which came out last year by Gloyd McCoy titled "Tent Number 8"... I am going to look on line tonight and try to pick up a copy of both of these books...

As we say here in "Okie-land"   I'll let y'all know how they are...

#10    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Ok getting death threat and still opening the camp not good. Why were the girls camping a little ways from the camp? Why didn't the someone post guards? Was everyone that worked there told about the death threats? There are more holes in this than a peice of swiss chesse.

#11    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 17 September 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Ok getting death threat and still opening the camp not good. Why were the girls camping a little ways from the camp? Why didn't the someone post guards? Was everyone that worked there told about the death threats? There are more holes in this than a peice of swiss chesse.

The only thing I can think of (and this is not an excuse, just possibly a reason) is that it was the 70's... In places like Eastern Oklahoma it was still the 50's (culturally) and things like this just weren't 'real'....   Sadly it is cases like this that make us so security concious today...

In the link that Thomas J provided they pointed out that prior to this camp murder, there had never even been a horror movie about it... Friday the 13th came out later (and I believe it was the first of the 'camp/teen slasher' movies..)...  To a great many people it was just too horrific to actually believe it could ever happen....  Like I said - not an excuse... just a possible reason...

Edited by Taun, 17 September 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#12    ~TheBigK~

~TheBigK~

Government Agent

• 3,930 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

I can't even imagine how furious the parents must have been at that camp, and rightfully so. Like Taun said I'm sure the counselors felt terrible but man, if a child says something like that you take it 100% serious. I don't care if you think the kids are making stuff up or not, better safe than sorry.

I'm curious though, even if Shroff passed the lie detector test how did they explain the matching footprint?

Posted Image

#13    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

View Post~TheBigK~, on 17 September 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

I can't even imagine how furious the parents must have been at that camp, and rightfully so. Like Taun said I'm sure the counselors felt terrible but man, if a child says something like that you take it 100% serious. I don't care if you think the kids are making stuff up or not, better safe than sorry.

I'm curious though, even if Shroff passed the lie detector test how did they explain the matching footprint?

From what I can gather, he had reported that he had been robbed of several items prior to the murders - specifically black electrical tape, etc...  The same footprint was found near his barn/shed and it did not match any footwear of his....

I just ordered both books about the murders on line so after I read them i will have a better idea...

Edited by Taun, 17 September 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#14    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostTaun, on 17 September 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

I just ordered both books about the murders on line so after I read them i will have a better idea...

You seem very enthusiastic about this case since you're already ordering books! I guess if you've got money to spend you may as well though, huh? :tu:

#15    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostThomas J, on 17 September 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

You seem very enthusiastic about this case since you're already ordering books! I guess if you've got money to spend you may as well though, huh? :tu:

I've been casually interested in this case for a long time - as I said earlier here in Oklahoma it's been a topic of discussion for a long time...  The books are used and I got each for about $9 dollars... (with shipping)...

And what's not to get excited about this case? It's got mystery, Native American medicine men, supernatural claims (skin walkers), politics (The American Indian Movement - AIM- got involved) the largest manhunt in state history, various death curses (The tracking dogs were cursed by a medicine man and within hours the first one died of heat stroke, and the second inexplicably got loose and ran in front of a truck on the highway...) - The chief suspect was given a curse that if he was found not guilty he would die, and within three months of the acquittal he died of a heart attack.......  And through it all no justice for those three children... (edit to add - factor in a racially charged jury - that may have acquitted him because he was 'one of theirs meaning a local football hero and a member of the tribe)

What's not to find interesting about this case?

Edited by Taun, 17 September 2012 - 10:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users