Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Papyrus refers to Jesus' wife

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#46    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,536 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

Jesus went to many weddings. I sure if he was married they would have mention his own wedding. Jesus and John the baptist may have been of the Essenes that did`nt marry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essenes

#47    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 20 September 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Ever since I did my own reading and thinking about religion, I decided that Jesus was married to Mary of Magdala and that the wedding feast at Cana was probably referring to his own marriage.  He probably had children as well.

For the life of me I cannot see what the big problem with this would be, or why the Catholic Church had to insist he was the celibate son of a virgin mother--no matter that the Bible says he had brothers and sisters!

After all, the message matters far more than these things, doesn't it?

I can't remember where I heard it but it was said the Catholic Church in the beginning had a few married priests and then they started leaving "church" funds to their family and the parrishes needed more money. The doctrine of celebacy came after that to make sure none of the church's funds would be left to heirs of the priest instead of the parrish.

#48    SSilhouette

SSilhouette

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:56 AM

Here is a link to the Gnostic Gospel of Mary Magdalene.  The first six pages are missing.  http://gnosis.org/library/marygosp.htm

Here is an excerpt concerning Magdalene attested to in the Gospel of Philip: http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gop.html

"There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary..."

I think it was the Gospel of Magdalene herself that has the account of jealousy of Mary by the other apostles: [Peter & Andrew the most of which]

"Peter said to Mary, "Sister, we know that the Saviour loved you more than the rest of women. Tell us the words of the Saviour which you remember - which you know (but) we do not, nor have we heard them." Mary answered and said, "What is hidden from you I will proclaim to you." And she began to speak to them these words: "I," she said, "I saw the Lord in a vision and I said to him, 'Lord, I saw you today in a vision.' He answered and said to me, 'Blessed are you that you did not waver at the sight of me. For where the mind is, there is the treasure.' I said to him, 'Lord, how does he who sees the vision see it through the soul or through the spirit?' The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'
(the mid-section of the original text is missing) ...etc.

When Mary had said this, she fell silent, since it was to this point that the Saviour had spoken with her. But Andrew answered and said to the brethren, "Say what you (wish to) say about what she has said. I at least do not believe that the Saviour said this. For certainly these teachings are strange ideas." Peter answered and spoke concerning these same things. He questioned them about the Saviour: "Did He really speak with a woman without our knowledge (and) not openly? Are we to turn about and all listen to her? Did He prefer her to us?"
Then Mary wept and said to Peter, "My brother Peter, what do you think? Do you think that I thought this up myself in my heart, or that I am lying about the Saviour? Levi answered and said to Peter, "Peter, you have always been hot - tempered. Now I see you contending against the woman like the adversaries. But if the Saviour made her worthy, who are you indeed to reject her? Surely the Saviour knows her very well. That is why He loved her more than us. Rather let us be ashamed and put on the perfect man and acquire him for ourselves as He commanded us, and preach the gospel, not laying down any other rule or other law beyond what the Saviour said." ... and they began to go forth [to] proclaim and to preach." http://www.pbs.org/w...imary/mary.html

#49    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 20 September 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Ever since I did my own reading and thinking about religion, I decided that Jesus was married to Mary of Magdala and that the wedding feast at Cana was probably referring to his own marriage.  He probably had children as well.

For the life of me I cannot see what the big problem with this would be, or why the Catholic Church had to insist he was the celibate son of a virgin mother--no matter that the Bible says he had brothers and sisters!

After all, the message matters far more than these things, doesn't it?

I would agree that Jesus teachings are what is most important. After his resurrection, Those that followed his teachings saw themselves as Jewish
but of a different sect. Not Christian. It was the Roman Catholic Church that more less made it Christian. Now Protestant Christians allow marriage.
I think The Catholic Church should do the same. Maybe they won't struggle as much getting clergy in the priesthood.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism
can make you narrow minded to all possibilities no matter how unconventional.

#50    SSilhouette

SSilhouette

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Some of the world's most sublime and often unsung prophets have been just ordinary people living ordinary lives.  All the virgin birth, vestments, altars, and even holy days additions came about because of the Roman Empire trying to sell Constatines' new religion [christianity] to the pagans.  He figured if he could get them to assimilate their relgions into his, he could assimilate their real estate into Rome's.  And what we have from that today is the Roman Catholic Church.  Various redactions of the bible were really just political adjustments to keep the Empire intact.  The Gnostic Gospels were rejected in part because they preached freedom of thought alongside reverence to God.  The Romans knew freedom of though = rebellion often so...you have their version of the truth in the bible.

#51    Lesionia

Lesionia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Our differences make us who we are.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

why would it be wrong if Jesus was married? By Hebrew law, he was at the age to be required to be married. For those who believe Chirst is god, cant gods get married too? Cant they fall in love?

Oh to answer why it wouldnt be in the bible: It may have once been in the bible, but it may have been one of the many stories taken out.

#52    SSilhouette

SSilhouette

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

But see, that's just the thing. Jesus wanted explicity to not be seen as a god.  That's also in the Gnostic Gospels.  It was the pagans who were addicted to making their heros into gods.  That's part of the "sell" the Romans did to the pagans to get them on board.  I'm pretty sure Jesus would be furious [from what I've read in the Gnostics] that people turned him into a god, thus distracting from the real and practical edicts for everyday people he was trying to impart on behalf of God.  Making him into a god makes him unreachable to the average person.  He was to be an example of what the best of men could be.  How can that happen if he no longer is considered a man?  Yep.  Pretty sure he's got a bee in his bonnet over that one..

#53    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

i bet its a parable and hes not saying he has a wife.

#54    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,448 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

View Postthe L, on 19 September 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I just correct your post with capital C on Christ and Chatolic.
Btw I dont think it can offened Chatolics on rest I agree.

ROFLMAO I've just proof read, and drafted, and corrected, 65, 5000 word stories, by students ranging from 13 to 16 years of age in the last  fortnight. Ive also set and corrected 20,000 spelling words. The irony is strong with me tonight. :devil:  I dont mind you correcting my capitalisation, but i dont usually even put capitals on god  or use a capital  i  for myself. In part that is the nature of the writing on this forum and my tendency to write more than i have time to correct, but also, it is in part a form of levelling. I dont think god or religions require capitalisations any more than "mankind" does.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#55    lozaleibou

lozaleibou

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

View Postkeithisco, on 19 September 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Even Luke (Gospel according to...) refers to Mary Magdelene as his most beloved above the other regular disciples.

A huge kick in the teeth to the Roman Catholic dogma of Male Supremacy... :clap:

Chapter and verse please.    :)

#56    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,536 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Josephus, Jewish War, 2.8.2
These Essenes reject pleasures as an evil, but esteem continence, and the conquest over our passions, to be virtue. They neglect wedlock, but choose out other persons’ children, while they are pliable, and fit for learning.

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Surely if he was married and had children of his own, he would have praise them beyond anything.

I believe Mary Magdalene was the women Jesus had saved from stoning and Lazarus`s sister, who he had brought to untie into her family`s acceptance and she stay close to him as a disciple.

#57    Mikenator

Mikenator

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

This is isn't a bad thing im sure God has a wife too zeus has a wife so why wouldn't God fall in love too

#58    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

View Postlozaleibou, on 20 September 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Chapter and verse please. :)

It's in one of the Gospels belonging to the Nag Hammadi Library.

#59    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,536 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think the qoute Jesus`s wife written 400 hundreds years later was of the same perception people have today, that he could have been married , not that he was.:)

#60    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 20 September 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

I think the qoute Jesus`s wife written 400 hundreds years later was of the same perception people have today, that he could have been married , not that he was. :)

The Inside Story of a Controversial New Text About Jesus

http://www.smithsoni...-170177076.html

Front:
Attached File  mary-magdalene-discovery-520.jpg   73.42K   7 downloads

Back:
Attached File  mary-magdalene-discovery-2.jpg   66.37K   4 downloads

Video:
http://www.smithsoni...OHynB7J9B2wjKyV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users