Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Boy died due to faith healer parents

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

Two parents have avoided jail after admitting they let their son, 16, die in horrible agony because they chose to 'pray away' his burst appendix and refused to take him to the hospital.
Russel and Brandi Bellew, age 39 and 36, of Creswell, Oregon, pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide on Tuesday and were sentenced to five years probation after reaching a plea deal with prosecutors.
The couple, who had seven children before Austin Sprout's death, are members of the General Assembly and the Church of the First Born in nearby Pleasant Hill, which shuns modern medicine and teaches parishioners that faith healing and prayer will cure disease.

It was also revealed on Tuesday that Austin died in December from a burst appendix after he suffered from appendicitis for a week, the Eugene Register Guard reported.
Appendicitis, the inflammation of the appendix, often results in excruciating abdominal pain that requires heavy doses of morphine to keep under control. However, it can be easily treated with routine surgery that removes the appendix.

Left untreated, the inflamed organ can burst and spew bile into the body, which results in dangerous infections that often prove deadly.
The couple were charged with second-degree manslaughter after authorities learned the Austin's death could have been prevented if his parents had simple taken him to the hospital.
Austin's father, Anthony, died in 2007 of sepsis, after he refused to seek treatment for an infected injury to his leg.

His mother, Brandi, later married Russel Bellew -- who was also widowed.
At the time of Austin's death, his uncle Shawn Sprout, defended the congregation's practice of faith healing.
'We trust in God for everything. We trusted him to take care of our illnesses and heal us,' he told KVAL.
Social workers removed the other six children, who range in age from infant to 17, from the Bellews home.
It is unclear whether they will be returned to their parents, though a case worker said she believes they are 'safe' in the home.

http://www.dailymail...ut-16-dies.html

Edited by Render, 19 September 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#2    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

probably should leave the medical stuff to the doctors and such.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#3    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 3,512 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

Perfect example of when religion interferes.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#4    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,723 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Poor kid... So irrational.

Posted Image

#5    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

At least the 6 other kids have been removed even though the case worker needs a good slap.

#6    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Sometimes I think parenting should require a licence.

#7    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostThomas J, on 19 September 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Sometimes I think parenting should require a licence.

......and Religions should come with a Health Warning!

#8    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

This is so sad on so many levels.

Morons like this are responsible for more than the death of a child...

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

#9    Sunny Day

Sunny Day

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

• Learn, wonder, smile...

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

As a parent, I have trouble gettng my head around this sort of thing.  I'm actually having trouble finding words to put how I feel about it all... just sad, as Junior Chubb said.

#10    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,035 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostSunny Day, on 19 September 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

As a parent, I have trouble gettng my head around this sort of thing.  I'm actually having trouble finding words to put how I feel about it all... just sad, as Junior Chubb said.

I don't have kids, but if I had known that the son of my neighbours was that sick while his parents did nothing sensible, I would have taken him from them and then go to a hospital.

Of course I would have first asked the father to forgive me my two sins.. one was taking his son away,  two was his painful face.

#11    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

My gosh, this is horrible. I feel that if I had a child who was sick that I would do everything in my power to help make them better; this includes taking them to the hospital. Though knowing me, that'd be my first choice.

Edited by Hasina, 19 September 2012 - 10:27 AM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#12    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,564 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

This is just so absurd and the outcome so sad.

Kinda reminds me of that old joke about the guy who kept praying to God to help him win the lotto.  God's response "my son, help me out here - buy a ticket".

In this case one could say the parents prayed for their son's healing and God's response could just as easily have been "my children, help me out here - take him to the hospital".

Except I don't feel like laughing and it's no joking matter :cry:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#13    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,564 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostHasina, on 19 September 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

My gosh, this is horrible. I feel that if I had a child who was sick that I would do everything in my power to help make them better; this includes taking them to the hospital. Though knowing me, that'd be my first choice.
Just so, there's plenty of time to pray in the waiting room.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#14    Sunny Day

Sunny Day

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

• Learn, wonder, smile...

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Something changes in you when you become a parent.  Well, for me it did anyway... to the point that I would move the earth to save my child from pain.  If that meant turning my back on my religion/community/husband/God I would.  If there is a higher power (God or otherwise) I really don't think he/she/it/they would approve of letting your offspring suffer like that.

So yes basically what Hasina and libstaK have said.  

Hello to a fellow Melbournite *waves to libstaK" :st   Not much on tv tonight is there?  Better being here

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostSunny Day, on 19 September 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Something changes in you when you become a parent.

This is so true, I would have scoffed at this comment before becoming a parent myself.

What a fool I was, and still am because unfortunately that is not what changes...

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users