Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Study:Tumors in Rats Fed Monsanto GM Corn

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

A new study released Wednesday by a team of scientists in France claims to have discovered a noticeable increase in tumors and kidney disease in lab rats that have been fed GMO foods produced by big ag corporation Monsanto

The controversial study, which quickly came under fire from several GMO experts around the world, prompted France's Jose Bove, vice-chairman of the European Parliament's commission for agriculture and GMO opponent, to claim "the study finally shows we are right and that it is urgent to quickly review all GMO evaluation processes."

The study, published by the peer-reviewed journal Food and Chemical Toxicology and conducted by scientists at the University of Caen, said rats fed on a diet containing NK603, a seed variety made tolerant to Monsanto's Roundup weedkiller, or given water with Roundup at levels permitted in the United States, died earlier than those on a standard diet.

According to the data, rats on the GM diet developed mammary tumors, as well as severe liver and kidney damage.

http://www.commondre...ne/2012/09/19-4

This is my big issue with GM foods......NOBODY knows what the long-term consequences are on people or the environment.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,250 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

Shocking ... an adverse reaction in a creature eating food not designed for it to eat.

#3    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the millions of Americans already eating the GM corn are a better test sample than a few lab mice, but I doubt anyone will stump up the big bucks to fund a study to keep tabs on cancer rates compared to populations elsewhere in the world eating non-GM corn.

#4    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

"population control"

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

You beat me to it ...
Here's another link .This article has photos of the actual test rats . It's disturbing ,but people need to SEE what GMOs do .

http://www.naturalne...gan_damage.html

Please everyone,be aware ,in the USA ,almost all corn and soy products,are GMO .
EVEN IF IT SAYS GROWN ORGANICALLY.
GMO is IN the seed genetics . So even if said seed,is grown with no pesticides,and with pure water and nutrients,its basic DNA,is mutated.

Organically grown ,doesn't mean non GMO .
Corn,and corn by product,98% of it ,in the USA , and 95% of all USA soy ,are in EVERYTHING .
PLEASE READ LABELS   !

Corn meal,soy ,its in processed everything,from cereals to frozen foods,and most all pet foods you buy at the supermarket.
Also,many alcohols,are fermented and made with corn ,so even booze is GMO !
Don't forget popcorn either .
You just cannot eat corn,in the USA,anymore ,unless you can find non GMO Coen seeds,and grow it yourself.
This is why Obama gave Monsanto full control of our seed supply,and they sue farmers for using non GMO seeds.
This is a food dictatorship .

I do not buy anything GMO ,anything with soy or corn by product ,no carageenan,no aspartame or sucralose.
Not for me,not for my animals.
If you buy your kids processed cookies and cereals,they're eating it.
Most strawberries are GMO ,and they want to mass market wheat GMO . Orange GMO trees are being experimented with ,down in florida,as we speak.

Which would mean all other foods,including juices,breads,cakes ,all GMO .
Yes really .
This is no joke .
GMO ingestion,means possible DNA corruption ,of OUR GENES.
Studies alleged cancer is at some all time low in the USA . I dont believe that for a moment .
It's at an all time high if you ask me.
Little kids getting all kinds of weird cancers .
Demand GMO labeling.
If anyone wants the how to tell if produce is GMO,I will post it again.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 20 September 2012 - 06:42 AM.

Miss me?

#6    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,004 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

I wonder, why europeans weren't dying out en masse from all sorts of cancers when first introduced to potatoes, bananas, kiwis, etc., genomes of which are quite different from say apples, carrots, wheat, not to mention eating different (due to selection) apples.

Edited by bmk1245, 20 September 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#7    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

given water with Roundup at levels permitted in the United States

It's the ROUNDUP, people. NOT the corn.

As well as the study being flawed. This is why peer review is good.

http://www.reuters.c...E8KJC1220120919

allow me to quote from your link:

experts strongly critical of study methods

The French government asked the country's health watchdog to investigate the findings further, although a number of scientists questioned the study's basic methods

Gilles-Eric Seralini of the University of Caen and colleagues said rats fed on a diet containing NK603 - a seed variety made tolerant to dousings of Monsanto's Roundup weedkiller - or given water with Roundup at levels permitted in the United States, died earlier than those on a standard diet.

Tom Sanders, head of the nutritional sciences research division at King's College London, noted that Seralini's team had not provided any data on how much the rats were given to eat, or what their growth rates were.
"This strain of rat is very prone to mammary tumours particularly when food intake is not restricted," he said. "The statistical methods are unconventional ... and it would appear the authors have gone on a statistical fishing trip."

Come on people, be CRITICAL and don't just accept what you believe supports your preconceived notions.

So, to sum up:

These rats are from a strain known to develop mammary tumors if their diet is not restricted
The study gives no information on food amount fed the rats (gee, I wonder why? see above point)
The rats also were given water with a pesticide/herbicide in it.

GM foods have the potential to save BILLIONS of lives.

Edited by Neognosis, 20 September 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

To tell if a product is grown with GMO seeds ,you have to look at the bar code sticker with the numbers.
It's either 4 or 5 numbers long .
Produce with a number code,starting with the number 4,is grown under normal conditions,and the seeds are not GMO.I
It's usually a four digit code .
Most other numbers are 5 digits .

If the number starts with an 8 ,its from a genetically modified seed .
Do not buy !

If it starts with a 9 ,its pure organic . The seeds are non GMO ,and its grown organically .

Some codes start with 6 or 7,my understanding is,its the same as starting with a 4 ,but I have not confirmed this .

http://soundofheart....ically-modified

Here are some lists of common modified foods .read labels ,is all I can say

http://www.naturalne...ds_dangers.html

http://ybertaud9.wor...y-frankenfoods/

http://www.thedoctor...ed-foods-alert/

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 20 September 2012 - 01:21 PM.

Miss me?

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 20 September 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

It's the ROUNDUP, people. NOT the corn.

As well as the study being flawed. This is why peer review is good.

http://www.reuters.c...E8KJC1220120919

allow me to quote from your link:

Come on people, be CRITICAL and don't just accept what you believe supports your preconceived notions.

So, to sum up:

These rats are from a strain known to develop mammary tumors if their diet is not restricted
The study gives no information on food amount fed the rats (gee, I wonder why? see above point)
The rats also were given water with a pesticide/herbicide in it.

GM foods have the potential to save BILLIONS of lives.

Growing plain old crops can save billions of lives. There's no reason for it to be modified,at all .Explain why these modified seeds ,are any better ,than heirloom seeds ?

Again,why are no gmo foods whatsoever,served in cafeterias of Monsanto facilities .
Why won't they eat,what they are FORCING ,us to eat ?
And the herbicides are in everything we eat too so giving them water with it ,is pretty much reproducing what the average American invests daily .,
The round up is what's killing are bees btw,but before you even say it,yeah yeah,conspiracy theory .
*chortle and guffaw*

Miss me?

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 20 September 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

I wonder, why europeans weren't dying out en masse from all sorts of cancers when first introduced to potatoes, bananas, kiwis, etc., genomes of which are quite different from say apples, carrots, wheat, not to mention eating different (due to selection) apples.

.. http://www.ghorganic...ause cancer.htm

. http://www.nhs.uk/ne...s-examined.aspx

Cancer rates in the UK have risen quite a lot in the last 20 year's. GMOs were introduced in the early 1990s.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 20 September 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Miss me?

#11    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Interesting...
As I'm reading this thread the following ad appears above the reply box:

Roundup Ready Corn
Superior corn borer protection.  The leading Genuity traits provider
www.monsanto.ca

....great Canadian ingenuity!

As part of their drive to take over global agriculture, they also provide FREE roundup to landowners in South America to clear rainforest for agricultural use, if they sign a long term agreement to purchase Roundup ready corn and soybean seed.

So...when you hear Canada places importance on preserving the environment...BTW we also have the filthiest industrial pollution project on the planet, the Alberta Tarsands.
...but it's ok, because we have curbside recycling for plastics and paper etc. :clap:

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#12    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,004 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 20 September 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

.. http://www.ghorganic...ause cancer.htm

. http://www.nhs.uk/ne...s-examined.aspx

Cancer rates in the UK have risen quite a lot in the last 20 year's. GMOs were introduced in the early 1990s.
How about other sources:

The number of people diagnosed with and dying from cancer is increasing.

Actually, the number of new diagnoses of all cancers combined decreased steadily between 1999 and 2006, and the number of deaths from all cancers combined decreased steadily between 2001 and 2006, according to the most recent study by the National Cancer Institute, the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Cancer Society, and the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries. More people with cancer are now living longer lives with a better quality of life due to early diagnosis, lifestyle changes, and better treatment options.
(link)

And read Neognosis' info one more time.

Edited by bmk1245, 20 September 2012 - 01:46 PM.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#13    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 20 September 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

How about other sources:
(link)

And read Neognosis' info one more time.

Well ,this is the problem ,now isn't it.Who pays for these studies and so forth .
Many studies are skewed ,by the interested parties .That's why I picked a link that just stated the incidences .
I never said anything about death rate,just new cases. The article I posted just said cancer rates went up ,due to life style ,but it happened to fall into the time frame .

They say cancer rates in the USA have gone down,and given how many of my friends have had it,or have it now ,I don't believe that at all .
Of just my closest frieds ,ones parents ,and brother,all died of it,my uncle had 3 different kinds ,3 have had breast cancer ,one died of mesothelioma .ones husband had a brain tumor .A close pal in Japan is dying from it .

I mean a LOT of people .,and we are not that old .

Of say my moms friends ,dunno,maybe one had cancer .....
Most died of heart attacks in my moms set.

I dont believe the statistics  ,the powers that be,claim are true,at all.
This past week alone,I found out about two more old friends,having cancer .
Lots of cancer going around ,as far as I can see.
You can believe what you want,but its the kids that will pay for all this,as they will eat it from day one .

Not good....

Miss me?

#14    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,414 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 20 September 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Well ,this is the problem ,now isn't it.Who pays for these studies and so forth .
Many studies are skewed ,by the interested parties .That's why I picked a link that just stated the incidences .
I never said anything about death rate,just new cases. The article I posted just said cancer rates went up ,due to life style ,but it happened to fall into the time frame .

They say cancer rates in the USA have gone down,and given how many of my friends have had it,or have it now ,I don't believe that at all .
Of just my closest frieds ,ones parents ,and brother,all died of it,my uncle had 3 different kinds ,3 have had breast cancer ,one died of mesothelioma .ones husband had a brain tumor .A close pal in Japan is dying from it .

You can believe what you want,but its the kids that will pay for all this,as they will eat it from day one .

Not good....

Correlation =/= Causation

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#15    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,004 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 20 September 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Not good....
You forgot one small detail - we are all ageing, thus, more family members, friends die, its inevitable. As for your attitude to GM, its like saying "If Amanita phalloides (Death cap) is deadly, then all mushrooms are deadly".

Edited by bmk1245, 20 September 2012 - 02:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users