Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How to confuse a moral compass

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    tipsy_munchkin

tipsy_munchkin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

• We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

I think a lot depends on the issues raised as well. As someone pointed out if something is very close to home and personal you are likely to be very clear on your personal views.

One factor not really discussed is the ability to see both sides to an argument. If, by nature, someone is good at seeing things from various points of view and are presented with  issues they have not previously formed a concrete opinion on I think they would be more likely to be tricked by this experiment. Part of exploring a moral dilemma is to attempt to view it in different ways. Unless someone has already done so before taking the test the ability to see it both ways may not imply they are stupid. It would be interesting to see if their original response allowed them to reply in a way that suggested they were undecided. If that was their position and they weren't given that option they could easily not recall which way they decided to go in their original answer.

:w00t: I hate reading about the Dunning-Kruger effect as I initially start to question my intelligence. Then by the very implications of the theory I think well that must mean I am competent. Then as soon as I think that i think well darn now I think I am I must not be. It makes my little brain hurt. :unsure2:

Edited by tipsy_munchkin, 23 September 2012 - 10:00 AM.

*     I'm pink therefore i'm spam     *

#17    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostAshiene, on 21 September 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

Religion is the greatest manipulator of the moral compass, though.

And in too many cases, the influence of religion is to confuse the moral compass.

#18    lowridergirl

lowridergirl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

Personally I have never changed my views, I am set in stone to that one. But me personally the answer isn't really simple as I don't know psychology all that much and I can only offer my opinion, I guess I think the mere changing of that one word in a sentence probably does something psychology to the brain of the person that is reading it. There are "trigger words" that some professionals use on people to change their mindset ... even behavior. They use those words and it changes the reaction if people who are not aware of it. If some people actually catch on to it than it wouldn't work. It actually just goes to show how much your paying attention lol and it goes to show a lot about the person, if they are actually set in their views any person would be willing to argue if it didn't match their opinion (like me.)

“I think the key indicator for wealth is not good grades, work ethic, or IQ. I believe it's relationships. Ask yourself two questions: How many people do I know, and how much ransom money could I get for each one?”
― Jarod Kintz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users