Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mystery behind the flight of the bumblebee

bumblebees

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,457 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

I keep forgetting to post this in here: one summer a few years ago, a lot of 'Daddy Longlegs' insects hatched out of my back lawn. I was watching them struggle out of the ground, dry their wings off and then eventually make an attempt at flying, when a huge dragonfly appeared. My lawn is about 40' x 40', and that dragonfly started at one side then made passes from the end nearest the house to the end farthest away, up and down, up and down, gradually moving a few inches to his left with each pass until he had systematically covered the entire area, munching on 'Daddy Longlegs''s as he went! Intelligent, or what?!! :w00t:

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

#17    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 26 September 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

I keep forgetting to post this in here: one summer a few years ago, a lot of 'Daddy Longlegs' insects hatched out of my back lawn. I was watching them struggle out of the ground, dry their wings off and then eventually make an attempt at flying, when a huge dragonfly appeared. My lawn is about 40' x 40', and that dragonfly started at one side then made passes from the end nearest the house to the end farthest away, up and down, up and down, gradually moving a few inches to his left with each pass until he had systematically covered the entire area, munching on 'Daddy Longlegs''s as he went! Intelligent, or what?!! :w00t:

I wish my son could have seen this, then he would stop calling 'Daddy Long Legs' 'Dragonflies'. I tell him time after time they are Crane flies (daddy long legs) but it does not sink in, then today while we were out him and a friend found some hatching as you described, guess what, his friend called it a Dragon Fly too...

Then you get those that call Harvestman Spiders Daddy long legs, wtf is that all about?

This might need its own thread actually...

Glad you sit on the right side of the Daddy Long Legs fence though. ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 26 September 2012 - 09:54 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#18    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,457 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 26 September 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

I wish my son could have seen this, then he would stop calling 'Daddy Long Legs' 'Dragonflies'. I tell him time after time they are Crane flies (daddy long legs) but it does not sink in, then today while we were out him and a friend found some hatching as you described, guess what, his friend called it a Dragon Fly too...

Then you get those that call Harvestman Spiders Daddy long legs, wtf is that all about?

This might need its own thread actually...

Glad you sit on the right side of the Daddy Long Legs fence though. ;)

Honestly! *rolls eyes* What DO they teach kids in school these days? *more eye rolling*

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

Also tagged with bumblebees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users