Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why do people not research before replying?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

I do find it very wrong when some take the opportunity to post accusations towards companies and certain organisations, govermental or otherwise without being able to back it up rationally and factually.

Especially when they keep insisting the irrational is fact because they read in some paranormal book or other articles/books/tv shows that are obviously created in the spirit of dramatization and sensationalization. Or even keep insisting on it when they're just making it up as they go when it can easily be debunked.

Even if this is their way to "relax" and unwind. False claims and accusations are just not right.
And when confronted with counter facts all they can say is "well i dont believe it, i know better."
They can't even offer proof of what they claim but claim it because "they just know".

Either they go crazy then and start accusing a replier of personally attacking them, while all the replier did was post facts.

I dont understand why such ppl even bother making such claims and start throwing non-backed up "facts" or already debunked accusations around while it's so easy to get the truth through numerous ways.
Do they not realise ppl can easily look up facts? Do they just crave that moment of attention or hope that someone will say "my god you're right, there's just no other way around it".

They don't do themselves any favors wanting to look smart.

#32    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 23 September 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

What! where's your proof! Show me the evidence! I want to see charts.. Lol. just kidding to prove my point.. :P
What I don't like is getting rebuttles like the underlined above.
If people dont agree, they should rebut with their own edivence or theories. If learning something is the goal then demanding proof from someone else defeats the purpose of the discussion and they'll end up learning nothing.

It depends on what you say:

If it's only an idea like "I believe Bigfoot could exist", than the 'worst' reply will most often be, "Why?"

But if you say you see Bigfoot frequently, then people will always want to know where you live, when it happened, why you are sure it was Bigfoot, and where are the photos.

#33    Professor T

Professor T

Sha naqba īmuru

• 2,536 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

I dont see the question "Why" as a poor reply or rebuttle?
But when someone comes back and says "proove it" I don't feel the need to because I've already done my research or already have a "belief" that what I quoated is factual.

When someone challenges what I quoated with something thoughtfull and counter to my belief, then it's up to me to run off and do a bit of googling to make sure I'm not wrong.. If it just turned around and said "prove it" I'm coping out and not doing the research myself. hense I would miss an oportunity to learn something.
I've only been here a few months, so Im relitively new here, but I don't think I've encountered many people who make statements without saying "Because" or giving a hint as to why they believe their statements to be true.

#34    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostSakari, on 22 September 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

After a recent topic ( and many older ones ) I often ask myself why people do not do a little bit of research on a topic before replying?

A lot of times, simple things can be found in a ten minute search..

Names do not exist.

Places do not exist.

Photo is from a known advertisement. ( Plumbing service, " sewer monster " )

I can say, most of the time, just a bit of research beyond " paranormal " on the internet alone will yield strong results and answers. ( phone calls help also, and emails )....

What makes people so positive about things, and so defensive, if they have not even spent a small amount of time to look for facts, or lies?..Then, the same people argue with someone who did do that, and posted the information? Without spending 5 minutes to verify the information given?

Also to note, if a 10 minute search does not give answers, emails and phone calls will....I understand not many are willing to go this far, not sure why on that either.

Anyway, hoping maybe some of the type of people I am talking about can answer this.

Thank you for coming up with something so short, but something I have been wanting to say for so long...CHEERS! :clap:

I'm back by the way...

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

#35    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,566 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

If a thread or certain topics irritate me I tend to stay away from them. I don't make it my mission in life to prove someone else wrong. I will put my two cents worth in and let it drop. I've found that very rarely you can change anyone's mind whether it comes to politics, religion or ghosts and it is a colossal waste of precious time to try and do so.

I avoid people that are "always right" and like to imagine the possibilities of the things that, at this point, may not be explained by science. Science has made leaps and bounds, in the last fifty years, and I like to think we haven't learned everything and have a long way to go.

#36    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,253 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostSaru, on 22 September 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Because this isn't a science project.

A lot of people are here to relax, browse the forums, connect with friends, comment on a few threads that take their interest or post something that they feel others would find interesting. Nobody should be expected to conduct an investigation or make phone calls to research a topic before being eligible to participate - that's ridiculous.

And that's perfectly fine, but conversely, folks shouldn't get so defensive and hostile when the obvious is pointed out by someone else.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#37    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Eclipsed

• 10,351 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostRafterman, on 23 September 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

And that's perfectly fine, but conversely, folks shouldn't get so defensive and hostile when the obvious is pointed out by someone else.

Sometimes what you think is obvious, isn't actually true ......... sometimes ;)

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#38    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

God! Ain't that the truth.

Which is why I have very little tolerance for anyone who posts something with a title like, "What is this?". WTF? We aren't some sort of clearing house for the crap you found on the internet. Then when you tell them what they took a picture of is some thing mundane they freak all the way out because we're not validating what they posted up. Or, my personal favorite, they went out with a video camera and took some mundane video then later they were looking at it again and suddenly discover they have something on the video they didn't see previously. The video was as droll as a video of a walk through your house only a couple days later they were looking at the video again (why, I can't imagine) and discovered a burglar had been in the kitchen and they only just noticed it when they were looking at the video a day or two later. What is that all about?

#39    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,412 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Great topic and good responses on either side but it looks like you really should have researched this before posting Sakari. ;)

If we were all well versed and had researched the topics we post on there would be a lot less activity on the forum, less questions and less fun, we all have different levels of knowledge and intelligence and that leads to good discussion, education and banter.

What a boring place UM would become if every post was researched and correct before being made...

Every thread would have one post and umpteen 'likes'...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 24 September 2012 - 01:51 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#40    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,821 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:26 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 24 September 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

Great topic and good responses on either side but it looks like you really should have researched this before posting Sakari. ;)

If we were all well versed and had researched the topics we post on there would be a lot less activity on the forum, less questions and less fun, we all have different levels of knowledge and intelligence and that leads to good discussion, education and banter.

What a boring place UM would become if every post was researched and correct before being made...

Every thread would have one post and umpteen 'likes'...

:nw:   :su

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#41    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• 1,424 posts

• ~"Blessed are we who laugh at ourselves for we never cease to be amused!"~

~"The best way to make our dreams come true is to wake up!~"-Paul Valery

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

After a recent topic ( and many older ones ) I often ask myself why people do not do a little bit of research on a topic before replying?

Names do not exist.

Places do not exist.

I can say, most of the time, just a bit of research beyond " paranormal " on the internet alone will yield strong results and answers. ( phone calls help also, and emails )....

What makes people so positive about things, and so defensive, if they have not even spent a small amount of time to look for facts, or lies?..Then, the same people argue with someone who did do that, and posted the information? Without spending 5 minutes to verify the information given?

Also to note, if a 10 minute search does not give answers, emails and phone calls will....I understand not many are willing to go this far, not sure why on that either.

Anyway, hoping maybe some of the type of people I am talking about can answer this.

Greetings Sakari,
Such an interesting question. I attempt only to speak for myself and why I do not (at times) do research before a topic.

First and foremost it depends on the subject and how passionate I am about it. If I am well versed (being correct doesn't matter as long as I can convey MY views in a rational and sensible manner). For a lot of people they debate or ague because they want to be right. More often then not people that rush to information on the web do so (at least IMO) to come off smarter then they are. And this only deludes the individual. So if I am ignorant of a topic or not, what you get out of me is 100% honesty. No pretentiousness or acting like I know it all because I can access the internet. While it is indeed a good resource for research I come on UM to understand others and to disperse my own views and knowledge not to put up a front of being a genius or to "ego" beat others down.  
Although it is duly noted that it is always nice to have the internet at the palm of our hands to get a better grasp of subjects we maybe do not grasp or are passionate about and desire to learn more, there is also the factor of attempting to be a know it all because of the internet and lose sight of being ourselves (again IMO) and more importantly honest with ourselves if that makes any sense.

That said in regards to UM and why sometimes I do not do more research...it is a place to share what I know and learn from others what they know. Not to pretend to be a smart ass or pretentious ass for that matter. :)

SINcerely,
:devil:

Edited by Dying Seraph, 25 September 2012 - 04:46 AM.

"The angel of self-deceit is camped in the souls of the "Righteous"--The eternal flame of power through joy dwellith within the flesh of the Satanist!"--Anton Szandor LaVey

"Tis' true my form is something odd but blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul. The mind's the standard of the man."--Isaac Watts

#42    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:26 AM

Research and reading is haaaard.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#43    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 22 September 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

heres one for thought, research is the reason i came to this site. i was told that most of the people here were intelligent and knowledgeable on the subjects i was interested in ( UFOs  Ghosts and a couple other things)  there was a wide range of subjects  and that there were conversations instead of trolls screaming at each other and that perhaps i could listen to those conversations to find whatever it was that i was looking for.
nuff said

But listening to two idiots screaming at each other can be entertaining....

What could possibly go wrong?

#44    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Names do not exist.

Places do not exist.

This is a disussion forum on the paranormal.  So therefore the paranormal is discussed.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 26 September 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#45    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,821 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 26 September 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

This is a disussion forum on the paranormal.  So therefore the paranormal is discussed.

And that has what to do with this topic?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users