Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Why do people not research before replying?


  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#46    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

I know when I first learned about this site, I spent many sleepless nights just reading the posts on here and learning new things. There are things that " I "  believe exist and I would never try and push my views off on someone else..

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#47    HDesiato

HDesiato

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Joined:18 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pennsylvania

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I think it comes down to a persons philosophy of what can be known to be truth and who is a trusted source of information.
A post modernist POV might view all opinions as equally valid and not feel there can be an authority on what may essentially be a spiritually based belief.
Those who hold to the scientific method likely would wish to provide a source of information to back up their statement.
I'd hate to think the latter would be seen as a know it all.
IMO,  somebody posting information as fact without reference is, at best, careless, simply a gossip or, at worst, trying to take credit for someone elses research (aka: a plagiarist).
...And another thing:
There seems to be a pretty consistent oversight in the destinction between hypothesis and theory.
I see that as a red flag to watch for when evaluating the credibility of a post.

Edited by HDesiato, 29 September 2012 - 02:58 PM.


#48    Bling

Bling

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Joined:25 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

A question I often ask is...why do people not READ before they reply?!


#49    Sakari

Sakari

    Say it how it is

  • Member
  • 12,925 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostBling, on 10 November 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

A question I often ask is...why do people not READ before they reply?!


On the next format change, the " page numbers " that show how many pages there are for a topic need to be very large, and have instructions of what they mean under and above them...

Or maybe, one can not reply until seeing all of the replies?....Like a slide show?

:tu:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#50    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,020 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostSakari, on 10 November 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

Or maybe, one can not reply until seeing all of the replies?....Like a slide show?

:tu:
realistically there is no way i'm going to read through hundreds of pages on a topic in order to post on it. sometimes the topic gets changed, morphed into other arguments etc. and the OP isn't even being addressed anymore lol
other times i will respond to a particular post and don't feel i need to know what every other person said before i do that


#51    Sakari

Sakari

    Say it how it is

  • Member
  • 12,925 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostJGirl, on 10 November 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

realistically there is no way i'm going to read through hundreds of pages on a topic in order to post on it. sometimes the topic gets changed, morphed into other arguments etc. and the OP isn't even being addressed anymore lol
other times i will respond to a particular post and don't feel i need to know what every other person said before i do that


But you are good at that. You do not miss a " solved " claim, or question.Plus you are cool, a pleasure to have a discussion with, and obviously very intelligent. And, in my mind, you are wearing a bikini on a beach when replying to me...... :devil:

That is what drives us nuts, someone replies with a 100% answer ( sewage monster example ) and it gets missed for 3 pages. ( even when has been re-posted )

I do think a lot of people do not realize there is a " next page ".......And it is very obvious a lot of people just read the OP's first post to the topic, skip over any replies, and reply to it. Wether it has 5 replies or 100, that is just lazy.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#52    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,020 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostSakari, on 10 November 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

But you are good at that. You do not miss a " solved " claim, or question.Plus you are cool, a pleasure to have a discussion with, and obviously very intelligent. And, in my mind, you are wearing a bikini on a beach when replying to me...... :devil:

That is what drives us nuts, someone replies with a 100% answer ( sewage monster example ) and it gets missed for 3 pages. ( even when has been re-posted )

I do think a lot of people do not realize there is a " next page ".......And it is very obvious a lot of people just read the OP's first post to the topic, skip over any replies, and reply to it. Wether it has 5 replies or 100, that is just lazy.
point taken...and thanks for the compliments - but just so ya know i'm really in my old flannel pjs lol


#53    The Mule

The Mule

    Beast of Burden

  • Member
  • 4,004 posts
  • Joined:16 Apr 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo-Niagara Falls

  • Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

Some posters know more about the topic....or every topic...than is available for research. They know more than the experts. Some of them know more about YOU than you yourself even know. You might have to consult them just to see if you're real.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!


#54    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    gimcrack

  • Member
  • 10,433 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

View PostThe Mule, on 11 November 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

Some posters know more about the topic....or every topic...than is available for research. They know more than the experts. Some of them know more about YOU than you yourself even know. You might have to consult them just to see if you're real.

This is sarcasm ......... right?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#55    The Mule

The Mule

    Beast of Burden

  • Member
  • 4,004 posts
  • Joined:16 Apr 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo-Niagara Falls

  • Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 November 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

This is sarcasm ......... right?

I don't know. I'd have to find one of those know-it-all posters and have them tell me what I mean.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!


#56    Sakari

Sakari

    Say it how it is

  • Member
  • 12,925 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 November 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

This is sarcasm ......... right?



Sounds like you should be asking " them ", and not the mule..... :blush:


Edit : I was right, the Mule beat me to it :)

Edited by Sakari, 11 November 2012 - 01:52 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#57    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 6,035 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

View PostSakari, on 10 November 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

On the next format change, the " page numbers " that show how many pages there are for a topic need to be very large, and have instructions of what they mean under and above them...

Or maybe, one can not reply until seeing all of the replies?....Like a slide show?

:tu:
I just spent the last while reading all 54 previous posts before making this reply.Everyone's comments, to me, were well thought out and valid. There were no arguments. It was a completely civil discourse and provided some members with insight into a side of things they hadn't yet considered.It was a refreshing pleasure to read actually. :)


#58    Bling

Bling

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Joined:25 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

Why do people not research before replying?... Because they have a life!


#59    _Only

_Only

  • Member
  • 6,672 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern California

  • Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostBling, on 10 November 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

A question I often ask is...why do people not READ before they reply?!

They/we see something which excites them/us and we want to get our thought out about it as quickly as possible. That's all. Totally understandable.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#60    Bling

Bling

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Joined:25 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

View Post_Only, on 11 November 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:



They/we see something which excites them/us and we want to get our thought out about it as quickly as possible. That's all. Totally understandable.

Understandable yes I agree, but not completely able to take in the whole topic and views. You read the threads don't you, I can tell by your answers, or am I wrong?





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users