Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Acoustic Propulsion System..?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    ShadowBoy86x

ShadowBoy86x

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

View Postuprize, on 24 September 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Yeh I saw this on the news a few days ago. Looks pretty cool, but all they are doing is levitating some water droplets using sound waves.
Now I'm no scientist, but I don't think that sound waves alone would have enough force to propel a craft, let alone at very fast speeds.

I agree with you, really cool, but no dice

#17    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 25 September 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

This is really interesting. I wonder what the direct result would be if they could make speakers strong enough and find the right frequency to float a 'human' like those water droplets.

You would likely end up looking like hamburger.
Since the early 80's, urologists have been using lithotripsy to smash gallstones and kidney stones into fine sand so they can pass out of the body in urine.  The procedure involves high intensity acoustic pulses being focussed on the stones.  They have the consistency of hard chalk and when the treatment is done they are reduced to powder.  The procedure requires the patient to be under anaesthesia because the shock waves are so powerful they cause cavitation in tissue and bone.
And thats at a power that won't make you fly!

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#18    Golly Buster

Golly Buster

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

Posted Image

Does chanting a sacred mantra calibrate the molecules of the human body?

Edited by Golly Buster, 26 September 2012 - 01:18 AM.

#19    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,809 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

View Postsynchronomy, on 25 September 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

Rocket engines currently in use work in both atmospheric and space environments.
Why don't you fire your idea off to NASA for evaluation.  They usually reply to such suggestions.
NASA already has significant work underway on alternate propulsion systems by their private sector contractors.  You will probably find research on your idea is well underway, or has already been deemed unfeasible and has been abandoned.

Not really what I am talking about, which is conventional travel, rockets provide lift. It goes in one direction very fast. It would be expensive to modify the design to allow conventional travel, which is why we have rockets, and we have planes. A plane requires lift, where a rocket uses thrust. The principal is quite different as I understand it. Something "hybrid" that manipulates the atmosphere, and sound waves do just that, may have the potential to reach further. I do not know if it would work, but by gum it is an interesting proposal.
Yes, I know that NASA has several designs in progress, and in use. NASA's deep space 1 used ion propulsion. I have actually exchanged emails with Dr David Morrison, the senior astrobiologist at NASA, but why bother these busy people when we have our very own NASA man on board, that being MID? What more could one ask?
It is not my idea, I just believe it has great potential. Not sure how you got that impression.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#20    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 26 September 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

It is not my idea, I just believe it has great potential. Not sure how you got that impression.
Sorry,I think when I wrote that I was referring back to the original poster. My goof.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#21    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,578 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostGolly Buster, on 26 September 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Posted Image

Does chanting a sacred mantra calibrate the molecules of the human body?
Looks like a New Space agged Desert Dippin-Dots and brownie `s

This is a Work in Progress!

#22    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 26 September 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

You would likely end up looking like hamburger.
Since the early 80's, urologists have been using lithotripsy to smash gallstones and kidney stones into fine sand so they can pass out of the body in urine.  The procedure involves high intensity acoustic pulses being focussed on the stones.  They have the consistency of hard chalk and when the treatment is done they are reduced to powder.  The procedure requires the patient to be under anaesthesia because the shock waves are so powerful they cause cavitation in tissue and bone.
And thats at a power that won't make you fly!

Back to OP, though, have you considered the fact that most UAPs that accelerate at high speed almost never cause sonic booms. Just a coincidence? I've always wondered about this detail.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#23    1963

Psychic Spy

• 1,083 posts

• When the day is through,and the nightsky shades the blue,and the swallows cease to sing as they fly!.......

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:35 AM

View Postarchernyc, on 27 September 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

Back to OP, though, have you considered the fact that most UAPs that accelerate at high speed almost never cause sonic booms. Just a coincidence? I've always wondered about this detail.

Hi 'archernyc'!

Yes I have pondered this conundrum on many occasions, and believe that the answer to that particular achievement may lie in the general symmetry of the craft. In fact, we ourselves may not be all that far from cracking the sonic boom nut, as the clever young boffins at the TohokuUniversity are eager to prove...

Posted Image

http://www.designcru...-boom-entirely/

Cheers.

Edited by 1963, 28 September 2012 - 12:38 AM.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

#24    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

View Post1963, on 28 September 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

Hi 'archernyc'!

Yes I have pondered this conundrum on many occasions, and believe that the answer to that particular achievement may lie in the general symmetry of the craft. In fact, we ourselves may not be all that far from cracking the sonic boom nut, as the clever young boffins at the TohokuUniversity are eager to prove...

Posted Image

Cheers.

I bet this particular item causes lots of UFO reports. LOL!

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#25    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,578 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

I bet its never built !

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users