Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New Mexico spaceport almost complete

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,088 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

As the world's first commercial spaceport nears completion the project's future is called in to question.

Herald Sun said:

Currently, the Spaceport can count on two rocket companies that send vertical payloads into space and Virgin Galactic, the Branson space tourism venture that says it has signed up more than 500 wealthy adventurers for $US200,000 ($192,000)-per-person spaceflights.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,134 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

Robert. A; Heinlein said that the most economical manner to get into space was to either use the slingshot method or to create an elevator to a platform outside the atmosphere.

http://www.kcspacepirates.com/

Edited by regeneratia, 24 September 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,181 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 24 September 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Robert. A; Heinlein said that the most economical manner to get into space was to either use the slingshot method or to create an elevator to a platform outside the atmosphere.

http://www.kcspacepirates.com/
Both those ideas are a lot older than Robert A. Heinlein. Konstantin Tsiolkovsky suggested something similar to the space elevator in 1895. However the Spaceport is being developed for short, suborbital flights and at the moment the rocket is still the most effect means of achieving this.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

I don't care who's first, I just want to go :(

#5    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

Are they sure that it will cost $200 billion?  If so, only the government would be able to come up with that kind of money.

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,269 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 26 September 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

Are they sure that it will cost $200 billion?  If so, only the government would be able to come up with that kind of money.
Richard Branson would, he is minted innit

#7    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 26 September 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

i thought it said 200k

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,181 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

View Postnotoverrated, on 26 September 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

i thought it said 200k
That is the cost of a flight,  TheMacGuffin was referring to this in the original artical:

And the eclectic hot springs town of Truth or Consequences has been anxiously awaiting all the economic development the $200 billion project is supposed to bring to this largely rural part of southern New Mexico.
However I suspect that figure is the result of a typo, Spaceport America's own website says this:

The $209 million project has attracted worldwide attention because of its bold premise, stunning architecture and the fact that it is home to the world’s first commercial passenger spaceline company, Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic.
$200 million would seem a bit more realistic.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

Anyway you look at it ! Sir Branson Is still the First to put in his two cents. billion ! I meant
!

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users