Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Mental Programming"

Halmista

Hey guys!!

I've Red an article concerning about the potential of the Human mind: it says that the mind is capable of learning a full course within a week if it truly

concentrated. Now Imagine what we humans can possibly do if even a small percentage of our population can produce similar feats to the idealized

power of the mind.

Now I already believe that it is possible but the true question lies in ,"If" we can do it but on "how"

I would really appreciate it if someone gave some inputs to this posts. So that you may not only help me in achieving similar feats but also help mankind in its ever expanding growth to enlightenment.

• Like 1

There's another member here "Mnemonix" who know's all about this stuff.

He could probably set you on the right path..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

It depends what you mean by "learning a full course". In uni I learned to speed read as fast as i could turn the pages of a book, and to be able to memorise/visualise everything i read for a long time after reading it. But that didnt help me finish the course faster, as i had to do common lectures and tutorials as well as all the essays etc. It also helps to develop fast accurate typing skills.

These days i read over a million words a week and write about 100,000 And that doesnt take up a big percentage of my time. All the skills required can be learned, but they can take years of effort and discipline to master them. As far as i know there are no short cuts. I got put onto speed reading in the 1960s after reading about Jf kennedy teaching himself to speed read to get through all the documents he had to read.

I once read, and explained to my colleagues, the novel "The English Patient" in a 50 minute lunch break just to show that i could, but i generally like to slow down when reading for pleasure Most working days i read one full novel and on the weekends two or three each day .IIt takes me about an hour and a half to read a 200 page story (about 50000 words) if i read slowly and enjoy it. This week, while on school holidays, i have to read and mark 300,000 words of students essays. Im leaving myself about 8 hours to do that.

Ive had adult students, up to the age of 60, complete 10 weeks of high school studies in two or three weeks, because they concentrate and are more efficient/practised workers than teenagers. But the best teenagers can complete a years course in less than half the time it takes the others.

It requires learning the skills; practice, and self discipline.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 3

It depends what you mean by "learning a full course". In uni I learned to speed read as fast as i could turn the pages of a book, and to be able to memorise/visualise everything i read for a long time after reading it. But that didnt help me finish the course faster, as i had to do common lectures and tutorials as well as all the essays etc. It also helps to develop fast accurate typing skills.

These days i read over a million words a week and write about 100,000 And that doesnt take up a big percentage of my time. All the skills required can be learned, but they can take years of effort and discipline to master them. As far as i know there are no short cuts. I got put onto speed reading in the 1960s after reading about Jf kennedy teaching himself to speed read to get through all the documents he had to read.

I once read, and explained to my colleagues, the novel "The English Patient" in a 50 minute lunch break just to show that i could, but i generally like to slow down when reading for pleasure Most working days i read one full novel and on the weekends two or three each day .IIt takes me about an hour and a half to read a 200 page story (about 50000 words) if i read slowly and enjoy it. This week, while on school holidays, i have to read and mark 300,000 words of students essays. Im leaving myself about 8 hours to do that.

Ive had adult students, up to the age of 60, complete 10 weeks of high school studies in two or three weeks, because they concentrate and are more efficient/practised workers than teenagers. But the best teenagers can complete a years course in less than half the time it takes the others.

It requires learning the skills; practice, and self discipline.

I always knew there was something different about you! :whistle:

Now Imagine what we humans can possibly do if even a small percentage of our population can produce similar feats

As noted by Mr. Walkers testimony of Mental Prowess...there is a small percentage of our poulation that can,as you say, produce similar feats...the problem is, as gifted and intelligent as Mr. Walker is...he only gets one vote...and there are myriads of Jerry Springer watchers out there so, what are you going to do...it's fighting a losing battle of wits vs twits.

• Like 1

There's another member here "Mnemonix" who know's all about this stuff.

He could probably set you on the right path..

tnx proff you got any input on this?

As noted by Mr. Walkers testimony of Mental Prowess...there is a small percentage of our poulation that can,as you say, produce similar feats...the problem is, as gifted and intelligent as Mr. Walker is...he only gets one vote...and there are myriads of Jerry Springer watchers out there so, what are you going to do...it's fighting a losing battle of wits vs twits.

" Well thats the way the world works and popularity is not that at all important in the quest of self-improvement. Our lives are too short to be wasted on mass media and the opinions of the many"

I'm probably looking for the same answers as you are :)

I don't know how to speed read, but I want to find practical ways to use memory techniques to learn.

tnx proff you got any input on this?

As far as I can tell, the human mind is capable of anything & everything, but we have to unlock the myseries of it. raising your consiousness/awareness as far as I can tell is key to unlocking all hidden potentials. knowledge for knowledge's sake isn't really my thing though, nor is memory. I'm more interested in consiousness as a goal, understanding & raising consiousness.. So far as I can tell consiousness is the only thing worth developing because so far as humanity knows it's the only thing we take with us when we're gone.

You know it wouldn't surprise me if the reason why we only use 10% of our brains is because we only understand 10% of consciousness.

This artical/Blog is really good. I'm about 1/2 way though it.

http://personalexcellence.co/blog/map-of-consciousness/

This post might be relivant as far as raising consiousness goes as it's basically a discussion of the above.

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=234494

It would probably be helpfull if you posted a link to the artical though.

& if you changed your text colour to black.. :tu:

• Like 1

" Well thats the way the world works and popularity is not that at all important in the quest of self-improvement. Our lives are too short to be wasted on mass media and the opinions of the many"

Yes. That is the way the world works. There is no evidence that mankind is involved in an ever expanding growth to enlightenment.

Hey guys!!

I've Red an article concerning about the potential of the Human mind: it says that the mind is capable of learning a full course within a week if it truly

concentrated. Now Imagine what we humans can possibly do if even a small percentage of our population can produce similar feats to the idealized

power of the mind.

Now I already believe that it is possible but the true question lies in ,"If" we can do it but on "how"

I would really appreciate it if someone gave some inputs to this posts. So that you may not only help me in achieving similar feats but also help mankind in its ever expanding growth to enlightenment.

The best explanation and work book, that I found for "how", is this one.

*snip*

The reality is that you need to apply these principals in order to truly understand them.

John

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
link removed for being unsafe

The best explanation and work book, that I found for "how", is this one.

*snip*

The reality is that you need to apply these principals in order to truly understand them.

John

Sorry John, But that link you posted is unsafe so i have removed it. Nortons popped up saying it blocked this - web attack: phoenix toolkit website 4 :unsure2:

Sorry John, But that link you posted is unsafe so i have removed it. Nortons popped up saying it blocked this - web attack: phoenix toolkit website 4 :unsure2:

Thanks, I use a Linux desktop operating system so I was unaware of that issue.

I wasnt born any more intelligent than any one else. My mother and grandmother read to me every night from birth and I was reading myself by the age of two just from imitating them. That gave me a head start but the rest was steady effort, discipline and commitment. At school i did 3 or so hours home work every night and my father spent a lot of time helping me with advanced maths etc. And i spent one night and one day each weekend on homework in high school. I read and sat for dozens of IQ tests so that i could get the hang of them. I did a lot of research on speed reading techniques and applied the skills. I see no reason why almost any human being cant do the same given a chance. I teach kids as bright as me, but they just dont give a damn and our society doesnt encourage or reward academic ability. Rather the reverse.

• Like 1

I wasnt born any more intelligent than any one else. My mother and grandmother read to me every night from birth and I was reading myself by the age of two just from imitating them. That gave me a head start but the rest was steady effort, discipline and commitment. At school i did 3 or so hours home work every night and my father spent a lot of time helping me with advanced maths etc. And i spent one night and one day each weekend on homework in high school. I read and sat for dozens of IQ tests so that i could get the hang of them. I did a lot of research on speed reading techniques and applied the skills. I see no reason why almost any human being cant do the same given a chance. I teach kids as bright as me, but they just dont give a damn and our society doesnt encourage or reward academic ability. Rather the reverse.

So true. I think australia might be a little worse off in that particular department, but my country is trying its hardest to catch up.

Thought is being less and less rewarded. I recently watched an episode of paranormal where these monsters are trying to take over and make everyone fat and stupid do that they can slaughter and eat them. I could not miss the greater truth in the message.

Exactly! :tu:

Our daughter was read to from birth and when she was 2 she was also reading. I kept telling her she was a mathematician and by the time she was 5 she was able to add three digit numbers in her head (234 +123 = 357) She was born after the cut-off date for school so we put her in a private kindergarten so she wouldn't be a year behind everyone else. But now she is a sophmore in highschool and HATES to read. Why?, one might ask. Because from first grade on the students were 'required' to read a book and be tested on it. Hell, when I was going to school I read Moby Dick, Black Beauty, The Msyterious Island before I was even in 8th grade. But the NEA has destroyed the education of our children to a large degree.

I see no reason why almost any human being cant do the same given a chance.

Napolean Hill thought the same thing...wanted his book in every school as part of the curriculum. Can you imagine where we'd be as a country...as a world...if that had happened. This is what I think the OP is yearning for.

It's heading that way in Australia. I've spent so much time doing standardised tests to establish baseline data and progress, this year, that ive hardly had any time to actually teach.

But at least out of 65 students, aged 13 to 16, I dont have one who can't read quite well. (ie read an age appropriate text without using their finger, and without pausing.)

Now, writing. That's another ball game. All my students were supposed to complete a 5000 to 10000 word creative narrative over the last month. Some have done brilliantly. Others can't put a sentence together, and if they didnt have a computer you wouldnt be able to understand their writing or spelling/punctuation. Generally thay can spell well, but a number of individuals have big gaps in spelling ( cant spell 10% of words they should have learned by about age 10/11,) and more importantly, word recognition/ contextual vocab.

Finally, while some are avid readers, some, especially boys, never read ANYTHING except text messages or computer based text. I've taken to putting all sorts of magazines in my classrooms, from motorbikes through sports like cricket and football, to fishing, trucks, 4 wheel drives, hot cars, etc. I get a buzz watching the boys pick them up and actually read an article or two in their free time. :innocent:

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

You all have very interesting inputs if we put it into context..... I really do agree with the idea that being forced to learn something is somewhat a hindrance on actually learning .

And tnx for the article "Professor T" I'll be reading it

• Like 1