Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The US Dollar vs. The Gold Standard

gold dollar inflation fed federal reserve

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#226    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 02 November 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

...  a too stable currency can cause a bust (see Spain 1557). ...
Hi Questionmark,

Sorry, but I could not find any references as to how "a stable currency" was connected with Spain's bankruptcy in 1557. Below are some excerpts from a website dealing with The economic problems of Spain. I don't see any relationship with "a stable  currency" and Spain's economic problems there.

Fact is -- I do see some parallels between the root causes of Spain's bankruptcies and the problems facing the USA now.
-=-=-=-

... Philip’s weakness for grandiose projects also put Spain into serious economic difficulties. ...

... Philip never raised enough cash to cover his expenditure and as a result had to declare state ‘bankruptcies’ in 1557, 1560, 1576 and 1596. As the reign went on Spain’s economic problems grew worse and eventually Spain had amassed a debt of 85.5 million ducats whilst his average annual income was 9.7 million. ...

... The economic problems of Spain were also serious in relation to Philip’s military; not just the effect of fighting wars on three fronts ...

... In order to solve his financial problems and establish a firm foundation for future expenditure, Philip needed a prolonged period of peace in which he could reform his exchequer and invest in Spanish industry. He never achieved this, instead doing the reverse with fighting multiple wars and drawing investment away from industry ...
Source

#227    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,201 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostKarlis, on 03 November 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Hi Questionmark,

Sorry, but I could not find any references as to how "a stable currency" was connected with Spain's bankruptcy in 1557. Below are some excerpts from a website dealing with The economic problems of Spain. I don't see any relationship with "a stable  currency" and Spain's economic problems there.

Fact is -- I do see some parallels between the root causes of Spain's bankruptcies and the problems facing the USA now.
-=-=-=-

... Philip’s weakness for grandiose projects also put Spain into serious economic difficulties. ...

... Philip never raised enough cash to cover his expenditure and as a result had to declare state ‘bankruptcies’ in 1557, 1560, 1576 and 1596. As the reign went on Spain’s economic problems grew worse and eventually Spain had amassed a debt of 85.5 million ducats whilst his average annual income was 9.7 million. ...

... The economic problems of Spain were also serious in relation to Philip’s military; not just the effect of fighting wars on three fronts ...

... In order to solve his financial problems and establish a firm foundation for future expenditure, Philip needed a prolonged period of peace in which he could reform his exchequer and invest in Spanish industry. He never achieved this, instead doing the reverse with fighting multiple wars and drawing investment away from industry ...
Source

Correct.  A little inflation could have helped Phillip a long way in paying his debt. The problem Phillip had there is that the Doblon was as rock solid as it gets.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#228    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,375 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 September 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

The government can delegate any of its tasks to whomever it wants. There is nothing unconstitutional about that.
I haven't been to this thread for awhile, I only came back because of a reference to it in an ongoing debate between Yamato and Br Cornelius. Anyway, sorry about that. Doesn't the constitution say, that the power to produce money belongs to Congress? "Delegation" of that power to the Fed, i.e., to private interests, could be seen as shirking its duty, in a very harmful way, without much stretch of imagination. My opinion, for what it's worth.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users