Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

women tend to believe in ghosts,

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,739 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

I believe that there's ET Life out there, but I think that ghosts are random energy patterns or other natural phenomena that hasn't been properly identified.

#17    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,913 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

So do gender differences in paranormal interest mean anything?

I mean, really, either the paranormal exists or it does not.

Regardless of human gender or gender propensity towards certain aspects, I suppose the question still remains to most of us.

#18    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

View Postnotoverrated, on 27 September 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

"Women are more likely to be at the 'social' end of paranormal beliefs," Sturgess says. "They're more likely to believe in things like mediums, astrology, psychic healing, and ghosts.

"Men, for instance, are more likely than women to believe in the alien astronaut theories of Erich von Daniken, and more cryptozoological things like the Loch Ness monster."

I don't believe in any of those, does this make me a neuchacho?

Edited by Hasina, 27 September 2012 - 09:43 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#19    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,708 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostHasina, on 27 September 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

I don't believe in any of those, does this make me a neuchacho?

Will you stop using words I have to Google before can reply.  ;)

You are definitely not Neuchacho, but you could be my rock...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#20    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,899 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

"Women are more likely to be at the 'social' end of paranormal beliefs," Sturgess says. "They're more likely to believe in things like mediums, astrology, psychic healing, and ghosts.

Not this woman. :no:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#21    terrible

terrible

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

One night in 1966 while on guard duty in Viet Nam I saw a platoon of ghost soldiers about 6 inches above ground. they were grey and clear. I did not shoot because I knew I was hallucinating. I needed sleep very badly but the logical side of my mind told me it could not be real and others would have seen them if they were.

#22    terrible

terrible

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

View Postterrible, on 28 September 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

One night in 1966 while on guard duty in Viet Nam I saw a platoon of ghost soldiers about 6 inches above ground. they were grey and clear. I did not shoot because I knew I was hallucinating. I needed sleep very badly but the logical side of my mind told me it could not be real and others would have seen them if they were.

#23    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

Edit: Text screwed up.

I believe aliens outside of earth exist, but the "theories" of Erich and his ancient alien buddies are pure nonsense.

Crypto-zoology closely follows.

Edited by Thomas J, 28 September 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#24    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Sometimes articles like these are too general.  I'd like the people that conducted the study to make note of what culture the study was conducted because it would make a huge difference.  

For instance, if it was conducted in Central  America the beliefs would probably not be so distinct. I think there would be a difference in results if compared between parts of the US.

My interest are geared more toward cryptozoology and aliens and I'm female.  On the other hand my bf is more of a ghosts and spirits believer.  

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#25    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,644 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Ghosts are emotional experiences while aliens are technical ones. If these are the results of the study then they don't seem so surprising as others have noted regarding intuitive phenomena vs outward (at a distance many times) sightings. Or as Timonthy said about the kitchen/outside hunting, the inner/outter theme is again repeated.

Now I bet way more males than females are interested in big foot.

Maybe even Nessie, iono?

#26    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

I think there is so much in this universe that mankind just doesnt understand, I do believe in aliens, and I also think that ghosts could be real. I believe theres malevolent spirits and I also really deeply believe in my heart that bigfoot exists.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#27    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz27efIq1hk

"Men, for instance, are more likely than women to believe in the alien astronaut theories of Erich von Daniken, and more cryptozoological things like the Loch Ness monster."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz27efRqmFn

this is true for me i believe in aliens but not ghosts, but my girlfriend believes in ghosts and not aliens.

Any neurologist can tell you the effects that sex hormones have on the development and perceptions of the human brain.  I think women in general are naturally more empathetic than most men and this is a plus to picking up on ghost type things. Makes sense to me they would  believe in ghosts more than most men.

Personal experiences is what really counts for it to become a belief whether a man or woman ...alien or ghost.

My philosophy in unexplained experiences is to let the feeling side of it guide you to sceptical analyze the "nuts and bolts"  the experience in different ways. Empathy with things can help you or deceive you, so you always have to be sceptical of where those feelings are coming from.

#28    Magiclass

Magiclass

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

The problem with that is according to this I am a bloke! While in actual fact I'm a woman!  Which means most of my friends are blokes, and they are women too!

#29    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,708 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostMagiclass, on 11 October 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

The problem with that is according to this I am a bloke! While in actual fact I'm a woman!  Which means most of my friends are blokes, and they are women too!

Cheers for clearing that up, your username makes more sense to me now. :)

Wasn't sure if it was  Magic Lass,  Magical Ass (Magicl-Ass)  or  Magic Class (MagiClass).

A belated welcome to UM you Magical Lass...  ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 11 October 2012 - 01:28 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#30    starchild1976

starchild1976

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

• Truth is stranger than fiction.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Women are not more likely to cry, get hysterical and stomp their feet. Some non hysterical..less hormonal women also see ghosts or have "dreams" and insights. There is no such thing as a typical. It is how the sensitive is treated by their parents in light of their sensitivity and how well the child can cope with the parent's perception of said child's sensitivity which counts more in behavior development. As far as men believing in aliens more than women and so forth how do you know this is true? Have you met them all and lined them up and ask?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users