Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

IQ linked to levels of happiness

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    Zamor

Zamor

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

For me this sounds strange, I find it hard to be happy with the way things are looking.
I can find happiness in small things in my life but in the big picture I can only see bad things for times to come.
I am a mensa member and have always thought that with the logical thinking that comes with it ( no, high IQ doesn't mean you are wiser or have more valid opinions than others, just have a logical way of thinking)
you can see from a  logical perspective that it's downhill with most things in society and it's hard to be happy with this knowledge.

Zam

#17    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostOverdueleaf, on 28 September 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

In my mind linked to does not mean it is the cause of! Of course there are correlations/links.... but i could find correlations/links to just about anything if i wanted to.

Exactly why I think the whole article is misleading.

http://www.forbes.co...research-shows/

Start there and use the names and studies as guides to find some more truthful info about it. Ed Diener in particular (also called Dr. Happiness)

#18    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostTaun, on 28 September 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

This may all be valid and well thought out and all.. but I keep recalling that Nazis had 'scientific facts' to support their 'culling' of those that didn't 'measure up'...   Not that these researchers are proposing anything like that...  but it can be a slippery slope if not watched very carefully....

It wasnt just Germany. In the US and Britain we used to sterilize -
1. The retarded.
2. The deformed.
3. The mentally ill.
4. Those with a family history of criminality or anti-social behaviour.

Social Darwinism was all the rage thoughout the Western World and things only changed after the horrors of WW2 were realised. WW2 gave eugenics a bad name due to the genocide of millions.

#19    prscustom

prscustom

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostEver Learning, on 27 September 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

i thought some of the most famous minds had depression, from there depression rose the need to try change the world for the better. the so called intelligent people who learn what the famous people realized and try to imitate them don't have the same drive, they only learn to impress others. dont know why im ranting, education is important but not more so than personal philisophy.

yes education is important. ever learning? pls learn basic grammar first

#20    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I believe stupid people are happier then intelligent people and rich people are happier then poor people.

Perfect combination for happiness= Being Rich and Stupid.

#21    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostRender, on 27 September 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Could it be that those with low IQ are more likely to be materialists?

(they never encounter anything to make them question it unless they go to uni)

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 04 October 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#22    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,512 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Actually real studies have much more solid links to happiness.

Money helps, up to about the level where a little more than  basic needs and quality of life are met, then the stress of money takes away from it.

Community. Being apart of a loving group of people with a strong identity.

Altruism. Helping others and compassion meditations where huge factors in personal happiness.

Food. Very healthy diets with lots of raw organic vegetables keeps your health strong and your chemistry balanced.

Tight knit groups of people in small communities are amoung the happiest and long living people on earth . Oh and they are rarely wealthy.

I think any corolation with IQ, is a sad commentary about how we live our lives and what we value as important.  I think the corolation is related to other socioeconomic factors and not direct at all.

What this documentary when you get the chance, it's available on Netflix

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#23    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 04 October 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Could it be that those with low IQ are more likely to be materialists?

(they never encounter anything to make them question it unless they go to uni)

I think the researchers bring up the correct factors, materialism is not one of them directly.
It's about needing help and not liking that feeling. It's about seeing your neighbour in a new car and not being able to get one yourself.
It's not about getting stuff directly, it's about not being able to think of a way to get to such a point where you can provide it for yourself.

Edited by Render, 05 October 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#24    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,769 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostZamor, on 28 September 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

For me this sounds strange, I find it hard to be happy with the way things are looking.
I can find happiness in small things in my life but in the big picture I can only see bad things for times to come.
I am a mensa member and have always thought that with the logical thinking that comes with it ( no, high IQ doesn't mean you are wiser or have more valid opinions than others, just have a logical way of thinking)
you can see from a  logical perspective that it's downhill with most things in society and it's hard to be happy with this knowledge.

Zam
I feel the exact same way, just looking at society makes me lose faith in humanity these days. You see where the world is going, it is on the brink. Everyone is in debt, threats of a new war in the making, small hopes crushed soon after they arise.

Every so often my hopes will be raised in humanity even with the smallest of things, a child riding his bike on the path thanking me for moving out of his way. Then I jump on my computer later and see something that makes me ashamed to be a human being.

To research and learn about what is going on in this world is a sign of higher than average intelligence I believe, because these things affect everyone. Ignorance would lead you to believe everything is fine, therefore then happiness comes easier. However that is not the case. There's a long road ahead and I don't think it is something to look forward to.

Living in a big house, plenty of money, a loving family provides security of living and therefore an attribute of happiness but the knowledge that this could be turned on its head in just a day is a wake up call.

#25    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

Poor Parents Not Encouraging High School Completion

ScienceDaily (Oct. 14, 2012) — Parents from poorer backgrounds are less likely to encourage their kids to finish high school, according to a new analysis from the University of Melbourne.

http://www.scienceda...21014130524.htm

#26    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,591 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

This article is a load of Bull****,some of the  happiest people in the world are children inflicted with Mongolism, I know of an ex Bank Manager,who is the happiest person you could meet,he now works in McDonalds,because he couldnt stand the stress of working in a Bank.You dont have to be rich to be happy,most of them are miserable because they are wondering where their next million is coming from or whether the stock market is going to crash.I havent a bean but I'm very happy because I have a p.c. a car and my family, and dont give a damn about anything.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#27    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,456 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

While they do make a point, that being 'not too bright' might very well lead to economic stress and unhappiness, there can be other causes of being unhappy as well. For example, one could be quite bright, have plenty of money, but have physical and emotional problems that cause unhappiness. Also, some folks manage to be quite happy with far less than what society dictates they 'need'. Some very wealthy people commit suicide, not exactly 'happy campers' there I'd say.

This issue is far more complex IMO.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#28    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

View Postprscustom, on 29 September 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

yes education is important. ever learning? pls learn basic grammar first
what i write in the late hours of the night most definitely has errors in it, maybe instead of being so judgmental you could ask your mother for basic manners.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#29    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 15 October 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

This article is a load of Bull****,some of the  happiest people in the world are children inflicted with Mongolism, I know of an ex Bank Manager,who is the happiest person you could meet,he now works in McDonalds,because he couldnt stand the stress of working in a Bank.You dont have to be rich to be happy,most of them are miserable because they are wondering where their next million is coming from or whether the stock market is going to crash.I havent a bean but I'm very happy because I have a p.c. a car and my family, and dont give a damn about anything.

You, among others in this thread failed to comprehend the study. It is NOT about mongolism.

The highest proportion saying they were "very happy" was found in people with an IQ between 120 and 129 - 43% said they were very happy.
However, the highest proportion saying "not too happy" - 12% - was found in people with an IQ between 70 and 79

Reread it until you understand.
The average IQ of someone with Down Syndrome is below 70, more like around 50.

It is also NOT about being a genius. It's about all the parts in between those extremes, so the average population.

• Low IQ & Mental Retardation
    5% of people have an IQ under 70 and this is generally considered as the benchmark for "mental retardation", a condition of limited mental ability in that it produces difficulty in adapting to the demands of life.
    Severity of mental retardation can be broken into 4 levels:
  • 50-70 - Mild mental retardation (85%)
  • 35-50 - Moderate mental retardation (10%)
  • 20-35 - Severe mental retardation (4%)
  • IQ < 20 - Profound mental retardation (1%)
High IQ & Genius IQ

Genius IQ is generally considered to begin around 140 to 145, representing ~.25% of the population (1 in 400).  Here's a rough guide:
  • 115-124 - Above average (e.g., university students)
  • 125-134 - Gifted (e.g., post-graduate students)
  • 135-144 - Highly gifted (e.g., intellectuals)
  • 145-154 - Genius (e.g., professors)
  • 155-164 - Genius (e.g., Nobel Prize winners)
  • 165-179 - High genius
  • 180-200 - Highest genius
  • >200 - "Unmeasurable genius"
So it;s about average educated ppl, versus not so very well educated. So the correlation between less education, less mental health, less money, less success, and need for more help stands.

If everyone would be so kind, or dare i say intelligent, to not misinterpret this study anymore.

View PostLilly, on 15 October 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

While they do make a point, that being 'not too bright' might very well lead to economic stress and unhappiness, there can be other causes of being unhappy as well. For example, one could be quite bright, have plenty of money, but have physical and emotional problems that cause unhappiness. Also, some folks manage to be quite happy with far less than what society dictates they 'need'. Some very wealthy people commit suicide, not exactly 'happy campers' there I'd say.

This issue is far more complex IMO.

It's not about that one guy that is miserable being educated and rich.
It's about the highest proportions one way or another.

Edited by Render, 15 October 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#30    ngang

ngang

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

It did say the very happy people were 120-129, which is well below genius.

Go...Cosplay Costumes | Naruto Costumes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users