Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nazi Buddha originally from space

Waspie_Dwarf

Ancient statue discovered by Nazis is made from meteorite

An ancient Buddhist statue that was recovered by a Nazi expedition in the 1930s was originally carved from a highly valuable meteorite.

Researchers say the 1,000-year-old object with a swastika on its stomach is made from a rare form of iron with a high content of nickel.

They believe it is part of the Chinga meteorite, which crashed about 15,000 years ago.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I claim the rights of 'Nazi Buddha from Space' to make into a movie.

But it would make sense that they'd make a Buddha statue out of something that fell from the sky.

• Like 1

"rub my tummy, get good fuhrer" :)

interesting read.

apparently, through the ages there are quite a few meteorite parts that were converted into sacred objects like this..

But it would make sense that they'd make a Buddha statue out of something that fell from the sky.

i can see how 1+1=2 and an object that comes from heaven is considered more special than an earth rock [like you say]

i don't understand why that was done.. buddhists tend to tell people not to venerate things, of nothingness, they have no Gods...?

They called it sky iron, they used it for ritual objects.

Thogcha (Tibetan: ཐོག་ལྕགས, Wylie: thog lcags)[3] means 'sky-iron' in Tibetan. Meteoric iron was highly prized throughout the Himalayas where it was included in sophisticated polymetallic alloys for ritual implements such as the singing bowl (Jansen, 1992) and phurba (Müller-Ebeling, et al., 2002).

Beer (1999: p. 234) holds that:

Meteoric iron or "sky-iron" (Tib. gnam lcags) is the supreme substance for forging the physical representation of the
or other iron weapons, since it has already been tempered by the celestial gods in its passage across the heavens. The indivisibility of form and emptiness is a perfect metaphor for the image of a meteorite or "stone fallen from the sky", manifesting out of the voidness of space as a shooting star or fireball, and depositing a chunk of fused "sky iron" on the earth below. Many vajras held by deities as weapons are described as being forged from meteorite iron, and Tibet, with its high altitude, thin atmosphere and desolate landscape, received an abundance of meteorite fragments. Tibetan vajras were often cast from meteorite iron, and as an act of sympathetic magic a piece of the meteoric iron was often returned to its original site

I would love to have a sing bowl made out of sky Iron. That must be something to hear.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest -

The discovery sounded like a sensation: A statue of a Buddha, allegedly 1,000 years old and collected by the Nazis in Tibet, had been carved out of a piece of meteorite. Now, however, it looks as though only the latter detail is true. The work is likely a fake produced at some point during the 20th century.

http://www.spiegel.d...e-a-862919.html