Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Liquid Water Near Europa's Surface A Rarity

jupiter europa water solar system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,534 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Liquid Water Near Europa's Surface A Rarity

Euro Planet said:

Europa, the enigmatic moon of Jupiter, is believed to be home to a subsurface ocean of liquid water. However, future missions to explore Europa’s ocean may need to dig deep. Research suggests that water does not stay in a liquid state near Europa’s surface for longer than a few tens of thousands of years – the blink of an eye in geological terms. Klára Kalousová will present this work at the European Planetary Science Congress in Madrid on Tuesday 25 September 2012.

Europa is mainly made from rock and iron, with a water shell around 100km deep beneath a crust of solid ice. The ocean is warmed sufficiently to maintain its liquid state by heat produced as a by-product of gravitational pulling to-and-fro from Jupiter.

Pockets of liquid water could be tantalisingly close to the surface. However, Kalousová, from the University of Nantes and Charles University in Prague, believes these would be short-lived. She explains, “A global water ocean may be present, but relatively deep below the surface – around 25 to 50km. There could be areas of liquid water at much shallower depths, say around 5km, but these would only exist for a few tens of thousands of years before migrating downwards.”  

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,403 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I guess the ice fishing trip on Europa is out. :hmm:

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

But not deep ice water fishing!

Posted Image

~MEH~

#4    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

After a particularly cold night fishing trip, I awoke in the morning to find the lake frozen and my line frozen into the ice.

I think that qualifies me for a spot of fishing on Europa. ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#5    Rhino666

Rhino666

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

But is it water, or something else?

#6    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

I think Europa is a very interesting moon , and could possibly have some sort of life in the oceans , I can recall a doco I watched on how they would get through the ice , some sort of heating device was going to melt a hole so a ROV of sorts could get into the ocean and "swim " around .

Very Interesting , hopefully Europa is on a short list of places we need to investigate !

TiP.

Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. - Indiana Jones .

** Lannisters like to keep it in the family **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users