Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is your sense of the divine found in Nature?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Divinity/Nature Poll (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the divine separate from Nature/Universe aka for some "is God separate from His Creation?"

1. Yes, nature is not where the divine can be found? (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

2. No, every part of nature contains the essence of the divine (God for some) (18 votes [94.74%])

Percentage of vote: 94.74%

Are you Christian or Pagan?

1. Christian (5 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. Pagan (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Other (11 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

Are trees special?

1. Yes (13 votes [68.42%])

Percentage of vote: 68.42%

2. No (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

It is a traditional Christian view that God and therefore mankind are separate from nature. How many Christians feel like me that we are a part of nature and that God can be found in every part of it? How many non-Christians feel similar with your chosen deitiy(s)? Or how many believe otherwise?

I have always felt this way, innately, but only recently read that the traditional Christian view, not the only one, nor was it the first one because there were many competing views until Rome settled on one and they fractured once again, but it was just surprising to see that my view always sat uneasly next to the idea of having dominion over the earth.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit, 28 September 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,337 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

You know..the idea of "divine" just never occurred to me at all.
I never seen anything as "divine" nor have I felt it.

I suppose if one wanted to "see" or "experience" their god then instead of staring at a book that has been written and re-written by man, why not go to a park and listen to the wind as it rustles through the leaves. Why not go and donate food to a shelter or visit some elderly neighbors? Why not gaze at the stars or clouds or even look out at a lake and watch the birds? If one wants the "divine" so badly then that is where it would be..not in some building where you are being told on a daily basis how awful and evil you are just because you were born.

#3    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

• Why was Jesus' tomb empty?

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Are trees "special"?? Sounds a bit vague. Instead of "special," I think the more appropriate word is important, as in for our survival.

"Also, if they (Gospels) were written early (before 70 AD), this would mean that there would not have been enough time for myth to creep into the gospel accounts since it was the eyewitnesses to Christ's life that wrote them."

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,229 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Tree hugging, dirt worshiper. The Earth is my mother, she is Divine. All of the Universe is Divine. ;)

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• 1,424 posts

• ~"Blessed are we who laugh at ourselves for we never cease to be amused!"~

~"The best way to make our dreams come true is to wake up!~"-Paul Valery

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Eros

View PostChasingtherabbit, on 28 September 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

It is a traditional Christian view that God and therefore mankind are separate from nature. How many Christians feel like me that we are a part of nature and that God can be found in every part of it? How many non-Christians feel similar with your chosen deitiy(s)? Or how many believe otherwise?

I have always felt this way, innately, but only recently read that the traditional Christian view, not the only one, nor was it the first one because there were many competing views until Rome settled on one and they fractured once again, but it was just surprising to see that my view always sat uneasly next to the idea of having dominion over the earth.

Is it really seperate? In which way? God created the heavens and earth and all beings on it do Christians not believe this? Thus mankind animals and the planet would all have the same stamp correct? Trees included. What makes us "more special" than trees or animals etc. is simply our own ego.

"The Greeks who invented the idea of nature, saw all nature as a vast living organism...In effect, the Greeks had projected themselves onto the macrocosim, and said it was alive and a reflection of themselves." -Norman Doidge, M.D.

"The angel of self-deceit is camped in the souls of the "Righteous"--The eternal flame of power through joy dwellith within the flesh of the Satanist!"--Anton Szandor LaVey

"Tis' true my form is something odd but blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul. The mind's the standard of the man."--Isaac Watts

#6    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,175 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:26 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 28 September 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

Tree hugging, dirt worshiper. The Earth is my mother, she is Divine. All of the Universe is Divine. ;)
Hi Darkwind,

In my personal path, part of spirituality is about being in the now. Spirituality is also to get us out of this material world. With these in mind, there's no way for me to verify my divinity while I'm here on this planet. For one thing, I'm still in the body at this moment. Even when I was out of my body, I can actually say that there's nothing divine about my being. I do know that my being is (relatively) eternal, but is it "divine"? My being actually has never told me, "Paul, you are so divine." My definition of divine is, no doubt, different from yours. And yes, I don't follow hearsay nowadays. Holy books info? I have nothing against people following whatever they want to follow. I can only be honest to myself. As of right now, I'm far away of being a god, divine, etc. I have no illusions about that. In fact, I'm becoming no-thing right before my very eyes. Things have been taken away from me... If I were a god, I certainly would not allow that. I have no supernatural powers. Nothing. Zero. Truth is stranger than any holy books, interesting to say. I, on the other hand, believe in the promise of freedom via Nirvana. A promise is the only concrete knowledge I can actually go by. It is the core of my existence. Promise, promise, promise. Real freedom to me equates to God(?). Merging w/ God(?) 101. And God(?) is not in this material plane of existence. To really know God(?) is to be one with It. Otherwise, that pseudo knowing is based on dreaming. Dreaming is never real, contrary to some people's belief system. Then again, this is my personal path, the only right-as-rain that I truly know about. I'm also trying to deprogram myself from tired teachings and pseudo-truths. I'm not saying that your belief system is as such, Darkwind -- please don't get me wrong. I respect your path. My life, on the other hand, is my harshest teacher, and there's no turning back for me.

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u, 30 September 2012 - 04:29 AM.

"Also, if they (Gospels) were written early (before 70 AD), this would mean that there would not have been enough time for myth to creep into the gospel accounts since it was the eyewitnesses to Christ's life that wrote them."

#7    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,390 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

IMO, to seperate ones self from nature is obsurd.
Unless one is an artificial life-form.. but even then, all of the components of said artificial life form are born of nature.. so, I guess there is no such separation in a physical sense.. *shrugs*

#8    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,175 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

I still find this valid: "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." "Awakening" has its place, in the scheme of things. "One step at a time..."

#9    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,674 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

In christianity, there has long been a division between panthiests like Kellog (the cereal magnate) in the nineteenth century, and monotheists. The pantheists, in brief, think god is made up of many components found in separate elements of nature. The monoheists see god as more anthropomorphic, but sometimes as one being who may permeate  all of nature. because he created it.

My own experience of god is this. God exists in every thing and  everything is a part of god. We can share god's energies, power, and thoughts  There is a singular consciousness and form of god, but it meshes with all consciousness and all natural things. So trees are a part of god, and a sapient being can talk to the sapience of god which resides within a tree (and every where) It is not the tree's consciousness one is speaking with, but god's.

Also we can share consciousness with other humans, past and present, via god/ the universal consciousness. ANd, of course, because we are linked with gods sapience, we can share that also and communicate directly with god on many levels.

God is always accessible to a human being, to provide wisdom guidance help and protection. But you can "pray" (or just strike up a conversation) to a tree or  the wind/sky or your inner self and find god residing there, waiting to respond.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#10    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,390 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is the best explaination I have ever heard of God^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#11    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

trees are special? not anymore so than any other creature to me, so if everything is special... nothing is really special? idk i just say no tress are not >.>

Edited by notoverrated, 30 September 2012 - 07:24 AM.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#12    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,674 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

View Postnotoverrated, on 30 September 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

trees are special? not anymore so than any other creature to me, so if everything is special... nothing is really special? idk i just say no tress are not >.>
IMO everything is special. We are a part of an integrated universe/ecology which supports us and so it is all special, but selff aware sapient entities are extra special for obvious reasons They can change things via will and skill. they are builders and destroyers.
Trees are special because they support life. And  because they can tell you the winner of the next melbourne cup, if you talk to them nicely and listen to them carefully.. :innocent:

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#13    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 2,998 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

I'm starting to think what we call God or the divine is just another word for nature or the natural world, instead of nature being a part of God or divinity. I think anthropomorphizing "god" often leads us to perceive God as more human than other, sort of as a super-human being. Like us, but only bigger & better, whereas I tend to think  more along the lines of Holy Spirit because it opens more doors for me to explore.

#14    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,175 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 30 September 2012 - 05:03 AM, said:

In christianity, there has long been a division between panthiests like Kellog (the cereal magnate) in the nineteenth century, and monotheists. The pantheists, in brief, think god is made up of many components found in separate elements of nature. The monoheists see god as more anthropomorphic, but sometimes as one being who may permeate  all of nature. because he created it.

My own experience of god is this. God exists in every thing and  everything is a part of god. We can share god's energies, power, and thoughts  There is a singular consciousness and form of god, but it meshes with all consciousness and all natural things. So trees are a part of god, and a sapient being can talk to the sapience of god which resides within a tree (and every where) It is not the tree's consciousness one is speaking with, but god's.

Also we can share consciousness with other humans, past and present, via god/ the universal consciousness. ANd, of course, because we are linked with gods sapience, we can share that also and communicate directly with god on many levels.

God is always accessible to a human being, to provide wisdom guidance help and protection. But you can "pray" (or just strike up a conversation) to a tree or  the wind/sky or your inner self and find god residing there, waiting to respond.
Did your god tell you that? It sounds to me that you're merely describing your spirit, what you've been taught for years. Philosophy stuff. Then again, if it works for you, then wonderful for you.  On the other hand, what is this "experience" you're telling us? Was it a "dream" experience?

I once prayed to a personal god/deity, but see where it got me -- back to 101. I've come to realize that everything in this world is to get us out of this world. I am following spirituality after all, not materialism. Praying for things and protection?? Wasn't it Jesus who said to give your riches/things away?? Something to think about. No amount of prayer will protect people from the harshness of this world, unfortunately. Speaking of Christ...he was crucified, was he not? Rudi, the founder of my meditation group, died in a plane crash, with all the gory details. Therefore, the real God(?), to me, is not in this world...

Edited by braveone2u, 30 September 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#15    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,225 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

I find nature relaxes and energizes me, but I don't worship it.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users