Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Anyone catch Survivorman's Top 10 show?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 05 October 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

My point exactly. They both used staged scenes to depict real things......because it's safer. I just personally like Bear's show better.

Nothing wrong with covering your a$$. Bears show has them all beat when it come to action, and he does have a good bit of great survival tips.

View Postkeninsc, on 05 October 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

I think the rest of the guys hate him here because he has a cool English accent and he's able to do things I haven't been able to do for twenty years now.

:lol: That last part is a little bit true for me. :lol:

There aint nothing wrong with Bear, he's a good guy, and I love watching his show. I just think Les's strategy a more realistic one for the majority of the people who find themselves in that kind of situation, especially us old men. :yes:

#62    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

View Postevancj, on 05 October 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

Nothing wrong with covering your a$$. Bears show has them all beat when it come to action, and he does have a good bit of great survival tips.

:lol: That last part is a little bit true for me. :lol:

There aint nothing wrong with Bear, he's a good guy, and I love watching his show. I just think Les's strategy a more realistic one for the majority of the people who find themselves in that kind of situation, especially us old men. :yes:

.....and that's perfectly fine with me. Getting older is not for the weak, that's for darn sure.

Edited by keninsc, 05 October 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#63    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

I think that I'll chime in just once more on this debate.  (and maybe even get around to original topic too)  I enjoy Les's show more for the same reason that Keninsc enjoys Bear's show.  Its all about who we can relate to more.  I have trouble relating to Bear.  He's cocky, very athletic, charismatic, and ex-military.  I'm none of those things.  I can relate to Les more - he just presents more of that average guy persona.  I'm just an average guy.  Not extremely out of shape, but not athletic either.  I don't have any specialized training other than what I learned camping myself and in the Boy scouts when I was a kid.  To me, Les's ideas simply seem more practical for the majority of the TV watchers who tune in for his show - more accessible in that sense.  And to me - that makes it a more valid teaching tool for helping the average person surivive a situation that they might not have been prepared for.  It just reaches more people that can relate to him.  When people can relate, they absorb more information.

I have respect for Bear - he's done more stuff than most people can dream of - he's the real deal and does his own stunts which are definitely impressive.  I just can't really relate to him as he presents his material in the show.  Too much entertainment and action and not enough actual survial tips.  But I'm a nerdy, dorky guy - who happens to love being in nature too.  We all enjoy those people who we can most relate to.  Thats just our humanness coming through.

As for Les having an encounter with a Bigfoot - I don't care how "reputable" or "reliable" a source is - we are all human and our senses are fallible.  Having a genuine knowledge of the outdoors is a great thing, but it doesn't mean that you can't be fooled in a suggestive situation.    I don't care who you are - if you say you saw, smelled, heard, or telepathically communicated with a bigfoot(thats a joke - I like jokes), my response will always be "Interesting story, got any actual evidence?"  Because thats what it is going to take to make me a believer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users