Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

A lesson in American ignorance

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,223 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Washington Post said:

KABUL — A new Afghan army-issued guide explains to soldiers here that when their Western counterparts do something deeply insulting, it’s likely a product of cultural ignorance and not worthy of revenge.

Eleven years into the war in Afghanistan, NATO troops and Afghan soldiers are still beset by a dangerous lack of cultural understanding, officials say, contributing to a string of insider attacks that have threatened to undermine the military partnership. Fifty-one coalition troops have been killed this year by their Afghan counterparts.

To address a laundry list of cross-cultural pitfalls — and to avoid their potentially fatal consequences — the Afghan Ministry of Defense this month introduced a pamphlet called “Cultural Understanding — A Guide to Understanding Coalition Cultures.”

The 18-page training guide, written in Dari, will soon be distributed to Afghan military leaders across the country. The booklet will be taught in three one-hour sessions to all soldiers as well as new recruits

Read more

And they come up with this during the withdraw? Good one, very good!

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,386 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

Maybe for those troops who will be staying awhile longer?  Better late than never and if it saves a few lives by explaining things to these savages then maybe it's worth it - or are you more interested in seeing the US being forced out under humiliating circumstances?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Oh wow, I really like how the title of this is emblazoned as "American" ignorance rather than "Western" ignorance but coming from the Washington Post, that's no surprise...

#4    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Do we have something for our troops that says that american troops should not be offended when some afghan tribesman stones his own daughter and cuts off her head because she went outside without being completely covered and said hello to someone?

#5    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,977 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 28 September 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Do we have something for our troops that says that american troops should not be offended when some afghan tribesman stones his own daughter and cuts off her head because she went outside without being completely covered and said hello to someone?

It maybe barbaric and indefensible - but why the hell is the American troop there in the first place to be offended ?
It is not the duty of the enlightened west to reform countries we don't like - that maybe hard to swallow but its a simple fact.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 28 September 2012 - 06:36 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#6    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

This should have been done much sooner, but it will help next time NATO "liberates" a country.  Try, fail, try again, fail better.

and btw how does one shower without exposing his genitals, special shower suits?

Edited by Idano, 28 September 2012 - 06:43 PM.

What could possibly go wrong?

#7    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

It maybe barbaric and indefensible - but why the hell is the American troop there in the first place to be offended ?

Because that country's government was harboring a terrorist group that had attacked the united states.

I would have thought that was well known.

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,386 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:12 AM

View PostNeognosis, on 29 September 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

Because that country's government was harboring a terrorist group that had attacked the united states.

I would have thought that was well known.
It is well known.  But some here hate everything American and never miss a chance to sling blame.  Then fumble through a litany of lame excuses to mask their bias.  Just losers.....

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#9    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,307 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

View PostMantis914, on 28 September 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Oh wow, I really like how the title of this is emblazoned as "American" ignorance rather than "Western" ignorance but coming from the Washington Post, that's no surprise...

Or the OP. Knew it before I clicked on it.

Posted Image

#10    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Some people on UM are as predictable as FOX news they hate so much. :st

#11    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

Someone gets mad when one blows their nose or puts their feet up or pats them on the back?
Well that right there explains why there has always been constant conflict there... :blink:

Really...American ignorance? That market is cornered already...I think some in the 'area' have it down to a fine science.

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,288 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 28 September 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

It is not the duty of the enlightened west to reform countries we don't like - that maybe hard to swallow but its a simple fact.

Br Cornelius
We should have used the time tested methods of winning... Kill off most of the population, put the rest into Reservations and occupy the land ourselves. Historically this works. Historically what has not worked is trying to rebuild and change a nation that does not want to be changed or updated.

Or, simply blew up  those who were involved in the Terrorism and the national infrastructure.... and then left. Repeat as needed.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,223 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

View PostMichelle, on 29 September 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

Some people on UM are as predictable as FOX news they hate so much. :st

You are quite right, because as I demonstrated again everybody is getting all riled up about the headline and most don't even bother to read the content. And in the content lies the reason why no empire ever could "civilize" Afghanistan.

As you said, as predictable as Fox News that they love.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#14    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostMantis914, on 28 September 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Valid point but I think Americans are a lot more ignorant than most of the West. Don't believe me...look at the numbers of how many people in America do not believe in evolution...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#15    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,742 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

There are people whos inteligence far out weighs anyone on this MB, who dont believe in the entire theory of evolution. Its not necessarily a good measuring stick to decide ones intelligence.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users