Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 5 votes

What's a random thing that scares you?

• Please log in to reply
477 replies to this topic

#46    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postthewild, on 01 October 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

I don't like a lit room with a curtain-less window and it's dark outside. Creeps me out. Also, and I hate to say it, people with visible mental issues. Can't tell what will set them off.
I'm the same.  Before I put a light on I always close the curtains.  Can't stand that feeling that someone can see me and I cannot see them.

:tsu:

#47    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

View Postjohnny blue eyes, on 01 October 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

I often get scared when i start asking myself silly questions like "what am i?" "am i real?" "what is this world we live in?" "is that real?" "what  is life?"
"why does it seem that not a lot of people care about the answers to these questions?" " are they real?"
I also feel like that sometimes. At times things just do not feel real.  I will wonder if other people really exist when they are not with me-or are they only part of my 'imagination'.

#48    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostCatz, on 05 October 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Open waters scare me.  Seen that movie?
Imagine yourself drifting in the middle of the ocean.  All you see is water and the terrible fear that there are thousands of "creatures" below you, which you cannot see.  And then you feel something against your leg and another bump....You cannot get away, there is nowhere to go and to make things worse it's getting dark...and another bump... My throat is closing up, just thinking about this!

I Saw that movie !! and Open water scares the ever loving piss out of me. Plus me not bieng able to swim adds on to the stress I feel when Im near the ocean.  Theres just way to many unkowns in the ocean that could be swimming below you, and forget it when it gets dark your gonna die you should just face it your gonna die.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#49    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostCatz, on 05 October 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

I also feel like that sometimes. At times things just do not feel real.  I will wonder if other people really exist when they are not with me-or are they only part of my 'imagination'.

Yeah its a wierd feeling because it gets to the point that you start questioning reality or if its all an illusion, at least thats how it is with me.

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#50    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostCatz, on 05 October 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Open waters scare me.  Seen that movie?
Imagine yourself drifting in the middle of the ocean.  All you see is water and the terrible fear that there are thousands of "creatures" below you, which you cannot see.  And then you feel something against your leg and another bump....You cannot get away, there is nowhere to go and to make things worse it's getting dark...and another bump... My throat is closing up, just thinking about this!

For some reason, though I know the ocean is much scarier, I cannot swim in small lakes (anything smaller then the great lakes), rivers or ponds. I don't even remember the last time I was in one. I can boat and canoe in them (thankfully I haven't tipped..yet), but no swimming.

The ocean, I'm cool with though. I could stay there all day.

Edited by sarah_444, 05 October 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#51    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

I also hate the feeling (and it makes my skin literally crawl) of a moss covered branch underwater and I feel it with my foot, and I cannot see that far into the water. I am usually out of the water and halfway up the bank as soon as my toes touch that kinda thing....

Posted Image

#52    John Rayne

John Rayne

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• Joseph Campbell - “Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved”

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

When we (my wife and I) put our 3yr old son to bed and go about our business only to come around the corner 15 min later or so and he's either standing there or rocking in the recliner...  Heart attack city!

#53    John Rayne

John Rayne

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• Joseph Campbell - “Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved”

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

And maybe scarier, when I step on the back porch and our dog, at my feet barks out of nowhere and scares the crap out of me...

#54    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

View Postsarah_444, on 05 October 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

For some reason, though I know the ocean is much scarier, I cannot swim in small lakes (anything smaller then the great lakes), rivers or ponds. I don't even remember the last time I was in one. I can boat and canoe in them (thankfully I haven't tipped..yet), but no swimming.

The ocean, I'm cool with though. I could stay there all day.
I even have a fear to canoe on rivers or lakes.  The water is so murky, you cannot see what is underneath and I stress that the boat or canoe will sink.  Even in shallow waters.  I once went on a canoe and the river was getting narrower.  The were lots of grassy plants and for a time it felt as if the canoe was getting stuck.  I started panicking because if we get stuck, it would mean that I have to get out and swim.  Luckily we were able to get out.  By then, I was already getting hysterical.
I mean, there are so many snakes in the water.
If there is one place in this world where I wll never go it is the Amazon.  With anacondas, piranhas and giant spiders.... I just would not survice.

#55    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostCatz, on 05 October 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

While I, too, often question the nature of reality, I am confident that the people around me are real. I've encountered so many genuine creeps over the last five years that I know that they aren't illusions. If I created my own reality, everyone would be nice. :hmm:

Other things that creep me out: people who use either tanning beds or spray tans to excess (give me Goth pale over fake tan any day); men with comb-overs (for some reason, I always visualize men with comb-overs sitting in front of a computer in a darkened basement "apartment," wearing only boxer shorts and a wife-beater undershirt, pretending to be teenage boys and chatting up little girls); women with artificial, overly long nails (I love a good manicure but I keep my own nails cut almost to the quick and following the natural curve of my fingertips).

Edited by lizzieboo, 07 October 2012 - 12:38 PM.

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#56    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostJohn Rayne, on 07 October 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

When we (my wife and I) put our 3yr old son to bed and go about our business only to come around the corner 15 min later or so and he's either standing there or rocking in the recliner...  Heart attack city!
lol I've been there many times. Equally scary is when my son occasionally sleep walks. Once I was reading in my room and he threw my door open walking in with a bunch of helium balloons.  Very unexpected and I'm pretty sure I let out a little scream.  Another time I went downstairs at 3 am b/c I couldn't sleep and he was sitting in the livingroom. It always gives me a good startle!

View Postlizzieboo, on 07 October 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

women with artificial, overly long nails (I love a good manicure but I keep my own nails cut almost to the quick and following the natural curve of my fingertips).
This is me too, long nails give me chills! (artificial and natural)  I think part of it is the thought of them breaking off suddenly, which is why mine are always pretty short.

#57    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,505 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Opening the window blinds to see a face looking in at me.

#58    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

View PostCatz, on 07 October 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

I even have a fear to canoe on rivers or lakes.  The water is so murky, you cannot see what is underneath and I stress that the boat or canoe will sink.  Even in shallow waters.  I once went on a canoe and the river was getting narrower.  The were lots of grassy plants and for a time it felt as if the canoe was getting stuck.  I started panicking because if we get stuck, it would mean that I have to get out and swim.  Luckily we were able to get out.  By then, I was already getting hysterical.
I mean, there are so many snakes in the water.
If there is one place in this world where I wll never go it is the Amazon.  With anacondas, piranhas and giant spiders.... I just would not survice.

The first time I visited Peru I went to a settlement inside the jungle. I was in a group of 8 people. We were near a tributary of the Amazon, and it was hot as I never experienced during the rest of my life. So at some point I threw caution to the wind, and went for a swim. Well I just wanted to cool off, not go swimming for a long time because the further out you went, the stronger the current (I didn't even think of what might be swimming below me) and I would have ended up in the Atlantic, lol.

OK, so I jumped in and wanted to swim around a large bare tree that was lying in the water, a tree the Indians used as a kind of scaffolding to moor their canoes. The tree lay perpendicular to the river coast and stuck like 60 feet out into the water, branches and all.  So I reached the end of the tree, and swam back. I felt perfectly at ease though I saw that like 10 people were watching me with big eyes...

Then it happened.... something with what felt like huge claws ripped at the skin of my belly and chest, and I screamed bloody murder. I didn't know what I did exactly but I wrestled myself free, only to discover... that I had swam over some underwater branches of the tree.

When I came out of the water the front of my body was covered in blood, but it looked worse than it actually was. And one of the Indians came to me, and though he didn't speak much Spanish, he said a few important words while pointing at the blood on my chest: "Sangre ! Peligro! Piraña"! Loco !" (Blood! Danger! Piraña! Idiot!).

But I relaxed soon when one of the woman of the village slowly wiped the blood from my chest, heh.

==

Another thing that made me shat my pants...

I live alone, so I am not used to having people around me in the middle of the night. But one time I had an unexpected guest, a Croat whom I had met and hang out with a couple of times. He had been too late to go home with the train, so he asked me if he could sleep on my couch. OK, we watched tv talked for a couple of hours, drank some beers, and so on. Then he went to sleep, but being a near insomniac I went to the other room to go online (here).

So I at some point was thinking about something someone asked me here on UM, and I was staring at the screen. Imagine, it was near dark and as silent as a grave.

Then I saw something in the corner of my eye... and there was this guy standing next to the door like frozen,  with eyes popping out, staring at some point above my head.

I thought my heart would stop there and then, lol, but then I saw what was going on: he was sleepwalking. So I stood up, gently touched his arm, and guided him back to the couch. He lay down, and snore within a minute, and next morning he couldn't remember a thing.

==

What truely creeps me out no end is dreams or daydreams of me sinking into the deep dark blackness of the ocean. Even writing this sentence makes me sweat.

I once posted a video, a Google Earth thing, as a reply to someone here who had found some weird anomaly on the bottom of the Pacific, east of New Zealand. At some point in the video you hovered way above the ocean, and then you dove down into the sea, straight to the bottom. I can tell you, I watched it with my eyes half covered.

Edited by Abramelin, 08 October 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#59    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

View PostJohn Rayne, on 07 October 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

Geeez that would scare me to

#60    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostJohn Rayne, on 07 October 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

And maybe scarier, when I step on the back porch and our dog, at my feet barks out of nowhere and scares the crap out of me...
That happened to me once I was going into the kitchen one night to get a drink and our dog just starts barking like crazy, scared the piss out of me I almost broke my ankle

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users