Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is 'Looper'-like Time Travel Possible?

looper time travel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,594 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Time travel is a staple of science fiction, with the latest rendition showing up in the film "Looper." And it turns out jumps through time are possible, according to the laws of physics, though traveling into the future looks to be much more feasible than traveling into the past.

"It's actually consistent with the laws of physics to change the rate at which clocks run," said Edward Farhi, director of the Center for Theoretical Physics at MIT. "There's no question that you can skip into the future."

However, Farhi told LiveScience, "most physicists think you can go forward, but coming back is much more problematic."

http://www.livescien...ble-looper.html

Posted Image

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

I thought we're always travelling forward in time. In fact, by the time I've finished typing this post, I'd have already traveled a few seconds forward in time.

#3    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

I don't know about the "possibilities" -- but as far as the film goes, some reviewers are giving this  a "ten out of ten" rating. I think I just may go and pay to see it. :tu:

#4    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Its a great movie. I seen it yestrday. Movies is done to details. I recomand it for everyone who like SF.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#5    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,109 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

I thought we're always travelling forward in time. In fact, by the time I've finished typing this post, I'd have already traveled a few seconds forward in time

I wonder if we actually travel forward in time. The arrow of time points from the past to the future, but is time actually traveling from future to past? It seems to me the future is moving toward us.

Also, are we standing still time-wise and time is passing through us? Or, if we're moving with time, wouldn't time for us stand sill?

Just some thoughts and questions that run through my mind.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#6    Realm

Realm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

Trying to go back in time could create major headaches even if it were possible. You go back in time and accidently kill the current presidents great - great grandfather in some kind of accident, then what do you return to? Then when you return how do you go back and rectify the situation, if that is even possible..etc etc etc.. forward only.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

Also tagged with looper, time travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users