Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can you live without Texting?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,317 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

I'm not a big texting fan. Sometimes I get annoyed by back-and-forth texting.  I get impatient and just call the person in question.

I prefer phone calls,voice mail, and email. But some people just prefer texting and I'm forced to communicate with them this way.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#17    emberdawn

emberdawn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

I don't have cell phone or computer. So no texting. I barrow one when I go online.

#18    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,765 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 01 October 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

I'm not a big texting fan. Sometimes I get annoyed by back-and-forth texting.  I get impatient and just call the person in question.

I prefer phone calls,voice mail, and email. But some people just prefer texting and I'm forced to communicate with them this way.

That would be me. My husband thinks I'm sort of rude on the phone because I don't chit chat...whereas he will ask how ya doing and all that sort of thing. If I call someone I have a specific purpose in mind and will cut to the chase. If they want to talk about something, that's fine, to a point, depending on who it is, but otherwise we can talk about it in person at another time. Everyone is used to it from me and a lot of them appreciate I don't take away time from something they need to be doing. I don't have to worry about someone not answering the phone because I will keep them tied up for and hour.

Edited by Michelle, 01 October 2012 - 01:42 AM.

#19    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,678 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

I don't text at all never have.  I use to have a cell phone but gave it up because there is so many places here you can't get a signal including my house.  I do email a couple of people several times a week but emails don't bother you when your shopping.

#20    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

I haven't sent a text message on my cell-phone in more than a month. So, yes; I can live without text messaging. My phone is never on, either. Texting is so... empty, and by that I mean there is almost no emotion involved. If I have something to say to somebody, I usually call them. I am not going to ask a person a question, or make a comment, and wait a damn hour for a one-worded response.

Edited by Alienated Being, 01 October 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#21    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,505 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

I don't text. My phone is always carried with the battery out of it.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#22    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

Yes but it would be annoying. I like meeting people face to face rather then phone calls but if I can't get to them for some reason I'd rather text. (ok now that I actually wrote it out and looked at it that's weird).
I also like it because I can do it from a computer.

#23    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,413 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

I prefer life without texting.

I have had no phone for a while now. I have had the occasional 'turn up on my own' moment but apart from that, contrary to all scientific evidence it is possible to live in the modern world without a mobile phone and the ability to text...

However the peer pressure to get a mobile phone is immense, I don't know how much longer I can hold out...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 01 October 2012 - 10:43 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#24    Mikami

Mikami

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• DELETE, DELETE, DELETE!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

If you carry your cell phone with the battery out of it, then whats the use of owning one?

#25    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, sure. I haven't texted for a few years now.

#26    Wookietim

Wookietim

Alien Abducter

• 4,908 posts

• Search on the Android App Store for "Mothras Unexplained Mysteries" for the app I am very proud of...

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostHilander, on 30 September 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Could you survive without texting?  Think families are becoming disconnected with each other or others on a personal level because of it?

I have never really caught onto texting to be honest. It seems to me that I have a phone that is sitting in my hand and able to be used from pretty much anywhere... why would I want to send a text to a person rather than just call them?

#27    Cora Calliope

Cora Calliope

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• "When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Yes, I could live without it. I send out probably less than 10 texts a month. My sister is deaf, though, so hypothetically, if texting was taken away, I'd have to email her instead.

#28    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

The only person I text is my boyfriend, and that's because neither of us likes talking on the phone.  It's mostly only when we have a question or something, so not much texting happens on my phone.  I use it more for email and GPS than anything else, and I pretty much never pull it out at dinner because I find it rude.

We've considered that once we move and I (hopefully) get my business to the point where neither of us has to work outside jobs, we'll probably just get a land line and ditch the cell's.

There is no greater risk in life than doing nothing.

#29    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,302 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

I was dragged (kicking and screaming) into the XXI century two years ago by my work requirements ...I was travelling to do system installations and was the team lead so I needed to contact people on the team at all hours..  Other than that I have no desire to be tied to a communications anchor 24/7...  I have sent perhaps 24 texts in two years and consider that excessive...

Of course I don't like phones in general...  Growing up (I had 5 sisters) I never was able to use the one we had and so got very comfortable without....  If I need to talk to someone for more than a few moments, I would much rather visit them...

#30    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

I text a few times a day but could absolutely live without it. I'm horrible at returning messages and am one of those people who will send a reply hours later because if I hear my phone go off while I'm busy or talking to someone, I *gasp* leave it where it is until I'm no longer in the middle of something.  Problem with that is I usually forget I heard the notification in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users