Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Your state's weirdest unexplained phenomenon

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

mine is kansas so ill post the story for that

KANSAS -- GATEWAY TO HELL

The small town of Stull, Kansas, has a notorious reputation. It is said that its small cemetery, and a place halfway around the world in India, are the only two spots on Earth where Satan appears in person, having been materializing there since the 1850s. The evidence? Visitors to the Stull Cemetery tell of being assaulted by a strong wind that fixes them to the ground, temporary paralyzing them. Interestingly, the town's name was changed from Skull to cover its association with black magic.

here is the link :

http://www.trutv.com...allery.all.html

Edited by Still Waters, 01 October 2012 - 08:22 PM.
Fixed link

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,800 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

Queensland (Australia):
Who actually elected Campbell Newman :cry:
Less flippantly, it'd have to be the Gypmie Pyramid. http://en.wikipedia..../Gympie_Pyramid

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,140 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 01 October 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Queensland (Australia):
Who actually elected Campbell Newman :cry:
Less flippantly, it'd have to be the Gypmie Pyramid. http://en.wikipedia..../Gympie_Pyramid

Queensland (Australia):

Gympie Pyramid??? Really???

What about he Cootharaba Ruins? They are terribly mysterious:

Posted Image

Wednesday, 3rd. September, 1862

“I make further note that on this journey, we passed by the place near to the river where it joins the lake as shown to us on the last expedition by the Dhilumi Clan of the strange rock ruins and ...(unclear)... and I ventured then to visit the small ceremonial Dhurs at the place of the rock columns and ruins. It was an eerie place, but somewhat beautiful as the point jutted out into the lake, taking view of all directions, I make observation that no similar placement of rings were seen at the stone structure in the Valley of Wolvi. I refrained from entering the ancient site of the rings for I knew them to be special - I took to view the place and further observe the strange stone structures”.

http://qld.host22.co...of-Dhamury.html

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#4    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

arkansas..skunk ape  okay realy there is several that mostly have to do with the ozarks  and around hot springs national park areas

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,800 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Walker - Gympie's the first one tha leapt to mind, and is "just up the road" from me. Never heard of the Coothaba before.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Folklore and legends are a lot of fun.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#7    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 01 October 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Walker - Gympie's the first one tha leapt to mind, and is "just up the road" from me. Never heard of the Coothaba before.
I've never heard of it ( the ruins, not the lake) either, but the idea it slips out of sight after an earthquake right before the eyes of the explorer is a little hard to digest, imo.

Edited by Habitat, 01 October 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#8    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,140 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 01 October 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

I encourage you to get your teeth into it. Apparently, there is also a pyramid under the silt at Lake Cootharaba which is a doorway to Andromeda. It is terribly mysterious...

View PostHabitat, on 01 October 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

I've never heard of it ( the ruins, not the lake) either, but the idea it slips out of sight after an earthquake right before the eyes of the explorer is a little hard to digest, imo.

The earthquakes are quoted in a Government report:

In comparison to the time-scale of geological processes, the recorded history of earthquake activity in Queensland is too brief to obtain an accurate estimate of the true rate of earthquake activity in the area. According to Rynn (1987) the first earthquake report for Queensland was from Cape York Peninsula in 1866. However, recent research indicates that apparently there were significant earthquakes in 1861 and 1862.

http://www.ga.gov.au...es/reports.html

It is all terribly mysterious...

Edited by Night Walker, 01 October 2012 - 12:04 PM.

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#9    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Come visit the Oregon Vortex!

The fat cats in Washington want you to think it's just a bunch of optical illusions and magnets buried in the ground, but the people in the know are certain it's a hole into another universe where our laws of physics don't apply! Who are you going to believe? A bunch of eggheads or your never-lying eyes?

While visiting Southern Oregon be sure to also visit... oh I guess that's all we have down there.

#10    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• 1,624 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

You'll find a few things on this site about New York

http://www.weirdus.c..._york/index.php

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#11    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,122 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

*rolls eyes at the only entry listed for Louisiana on the OP's link*

I'll look up something in my Weird Louisiana book and get back with you on this. ;)

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#12    Wookietim

Wookietim

Alien Abducter

• 4,907 posts

• Search on the Android App Store for "Mothras Unexplained Mysteries" for the app I am very proud of...

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Not sure about the state I live in now (Washington) but the one I grew up in (Pennsylvania) has a pretty famous one : Kecksburg and it's "UFO Crash"...

#13    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

A rather 'unusual' individual 'round these parts called Biker Fox

Posted Image

#14    jackball74

jackball74

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

Coral Castle.  Also the fact that people choose to vacation in the middle of the state during the late summer months.

#15    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

Ok, here in South Carolina we had a guy who was having sex with a horse. He got sent to jail, horse complained she hasn't gotten a card, letter or phone call from him since.

No, not a big mystery, but what a love story, eh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users