Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Playing RPGs

rpgs

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

Was curious as to whom here currently plays, or has played, RPGs?  I am not referring to the online MMORPGs , which are often just simply hack-n-slash styles, but table-top RPGs, using such things as paper, a pencil, physical dice, and being able to speak directly to the other players in the group face to face.  Even using virtual tabletop software such as Fantasy Grounds counts in my opinion.

Just had a D&D 4E game go into indefinite retirement due to the DM's changing life situations.  We all hope it will return in the future.  Most of us in the group played for close to three years.

I currently run a Call of Cthulhu RPG, some of the same folks from the D&D game.  Most of them just died recently, a blunder on their part.  The setting is in 1925, and they just arrived in Cairo, Egypt following a clue concerning the murder of a friend.  No one speaks or understand Arabic, so should be interesting.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#2    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

I played Cthulhu twice or so...Shadowrun was pretty cool. Played original D&D and 2nd ed. A friend of mine had a game Battlelords published. The Sci-fi thing didnt suit me. Then we all got married and had kids. Kinda ended all our gaming nights.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#3    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

View PostThe Mule, on 02 October 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

I played Cthulhu twice or so...Shadowrun was pretty cool. Played original D&D and 2nd ed. A friend of mine had a game Battlelords published. The Sci-fi thing didnt suit me. Then we all got married and had kids. Kinda ended all our gaming nights.

Battlelords, as in Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century?  Ironically I am gearing up to run a game for this.  Sometimes I get bored with the fantasy settings and need to have pulse cannons and plasma grenades in the mix.

Battlelords as a small, but dedicated following from what I know, though I have always had a hard time finding players in my area.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#4    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

View PostInsanity, on 02 October 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

Battlelords, as in Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century?  Ironically I am gearing up to run a game for this.  Sometimes I get bored with the fantasy settings and need to have pulse cannons and plasma grenades in the mix.

Battlelords as a small, but dedicated following from what I know, though I have always had a hard time finding players in my area.

thats the one. Larry even gave me a play-testing credit in one of the modules.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#5    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Nifty, it's actually one of my favorites, even if I can't get a group together that often.

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,233 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostInsanity, on 02 October 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

Was curious as to whom here currently plays, or has played, RPGs?  I am not referring to the online MMORPGs , which are often just simply hack-n-slash styles, but table-top RPGs, using such things as paper, a pencil, physical dice, and being able to speak directly to the other players in the group face to face.  Even using virtual tabletop software such as Fantasy Grounds counts in my opinion.
I've been playing since 6th grade, some 32 years ago. I still play with a group of guys from college, some 6 to 8 of us in the group. We even have a Yahoo Group. We called it GPA, because we were in college and thought we were real smart.

We rotate games every couple years, mostly D&D3.5E, Champions (Hero System), and D20 Modern (Spy games and Dr. Who style).

Just had a D&D 4E game go into indefinite retirement due to the DM's changing life situations.  We all hope it will return in the future.  Most of us in the group played for close to three years.
I hate when that happens. Someone moves away or otherwise has to quit. :cry:

I currently run a Call of Cthulhu RPG, some of the same folks from the D&D game.  Most of them just died recently, a blunder on their part.  The setting is in 1925, and they just arrived in Cairo, Egypt following a clue concerning the murder of a friend.  No one speaks or understand Arabic, so should be interesting.

With *** it is just a matter of time, isn't it. I've played it 2 or 3 times. Once the Sanity Points start to get low the game begins to get desperate. Learning to read any ancient language iin the game is an invitation to insanity. :innocent:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

One of the players who died had become the Mythos expert, and had taken the time to read a few of the tomes they had come across, and learned a spell, but was too afraid to use it.  I had only told him the mechanics, and that it simply summoned 'something'.  He did not know what, and I wasn't saying.  The description of it was 'Call Forth Invisible Servant', to which one of the others, being a D&D player mostly, suggested to summon it so it can carry stuff for them.  He never did, but if he had, a Star Vampire would have arrived.  Would have been fun.

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,233 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

View PostInsanity, on 02 October 2012 - 02:09 AM, said:

He never did, but if he had, a Star Vampire would have arrived.  Would have been fun.
A servant to some beings is a new Master to others.

The only games I've GMed are d20 StarWars and Rolemaster. Both ran for years. It is a real shame when such a long running game comes to an end.

I bought several of the D&D4E books,and made several characters, but we never actually got long term game going. :cry:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:41 AM

I had mixed feelings with 4E, it is fun, but the combat took forever to resolve.  Too many Conditions can be applied, and need to be tracked.  It was more an attempt to get some online experiences to a tabletop I felt.

Still the game was fun with the group we had.

#10    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

I've played an assortment of RPGs over my few years of actually liking them. I've played D&D 3.5 and 4e, the new World of Darkness (a supernatural themed RPG), All Flesh Must Be Eaten (a personal favorite, a zombie themed RPG that also has some amazing expansion books), and currently I'm learning about a homebrew RPG based around the comic Homestuck that's centered around D&D 4e rules, but has enough differences that I think of it as a different system. I've both DM'd and been a player character in each of these settings, though at the current moment I'm DMing a AFMBE game and the Homestuck RP I mentioned.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#11    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 234 posts

• Credendo Vides
    Seeing is Believing

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

W8 w8, so you re-create the settings in the books, games etsc?
And how do you play this?
In real life?
I'm not trolling, it's just i've never come across something like this...

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#12    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

The books have rules that everyone follows and ways to create characters by filling out character sheets. Everything in the game is usually decided by a die roll. That's pretty much the gist of it, though I'm sure someone else can describe it better.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#13    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 234 posts

• Credendo Vides
    Seeing is Believing

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

That sounds interesting. So how do you like umm, do quests? :D

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#14    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

The Dungeon Master (or DM, the person who runs the storyline) will lay out the quest, something maybe along the lines of something as simple: 'your group is looking for a rare talisman, the local baron has asked you to retrieve it for him from a cave, but this cave happens to be guarded by goblins'. Then the characters will pick it up from there. One may suggest: 'Let's hit up the shop, my Charisma score may be able to get us lower prices'. Another may suggest: 'Nah, we have enough supplies, I have my sword and shield, and that's enough'. Sometimes you can settle disputes in a group with a few die roll or none lethal combat.
Then they'd head out on the adventure, the DM will fill in the scene, people the towns and the outplaying area with none player characters, and the players will get to enjoy the story and get to adventure and struggle against the odds the DM throws at them.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#15    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 234 posts

• Credendo Vides
    Seeing is Believing

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

That sounds.. awesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users