Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gay Marriage’s Ballot Test

Karlis

There is one unavoidable fact about American voters and same-sex marriage:

Every time the people have had chance to speak on the subject, they have voted it down. Over the past decades, voters in twenty-eight states have passed constitutional provisions banning same-sex marriage.

The trend continued as recently as earlier this year, in North Carolina voted to ban such marriages. This may change in November, when voters in Maine (for a second time), Maryland, Minnesota and Washington State have their say.

The precise nature of the questions in each state varies. In Maryland and Washington, the voters will decide whether to override new state laws that allow same-sex marriage. The measure in Minnesota, if passed, would limit marriage to one man and one woman, and the one in Maine would explicitly allow same-sex marriage. Still, the larger issue is the same on all of these issues. Do the voters want to permit gay people to marry in their state?

Read more

It looks like the issue may be going to the supreme court soon so the voters won't matter anyway.

• Like 3

It will pass in Washington, pretty sure of that.

Of course the real tragedy here is that we're voting on someone elses civil rights! That's NOT OK. Civil rights are not suppose to be voted on by the populace!

Same sex marriage was already signed into law by the govenor in Washington State a year ago. That should have been the end of the story. We should not be voting on this at ALL this November!!!!

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 7

It passed in my state. And I'm proud to say we were one of the first to do so in the country.

I don't consider myself an advocate by any stretch, and honestly, I don't really even know any Gay/Lesbian couples personally.

But, why shouldn't they be allowed the same legal status as I am allowed?

But, regardless of which states still ban it, it will be legal everywhere eventually. The next generation doesn't have the same stigmas.

• Like 5

Tyranny of the majority in action

• Like 2

Every time the people have had chance to speak on the subject, they have voted it down.

Provably false.

Same sex marriage was already signed into law by the govenor in Washington State a year ago. That should have been the end of the story. We should not be voting on this at ALL this November!!!!

But that governor does not represent everyones votes right? I don't believe the governor won with 100% of the votes. Still if people don't like it, they should vote legislators or a governor in that will do something about it.

If the Supreme Court says that the Right to Marry falls under the FedGov/Constitution, and says it is part of "Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness", then sure, set up that national change.

Personnally, even as a Christian, I don't think it will cause the Walls to crumble down any faster then any of the other 10,000 things that go on every day in the world. This is a Fallen world and Christians should understand that. Christians are supposed to live IN the world, but not be OF the world. Too many loudmouth reactionist idiots go out swinging the Old Testiment and give all Christians a bad name.

But that governor does not represent everyones votes right? I don't believe the governor won with 100% of the votes. Still if people don't like it, they should vote legislators or a governor in that will do something about it.

What part of people should not be voting on civil rights issues do people fail to understand?!

I think maybe I'll draft an initiative that states that you you don't have to rent an apartment to gay people because you don't like them. Or maybe one that states that black men are no longer able to marry asian women. Or maybe we should just put those women back in their place and forbid them to own property again. Maybe even revoke a gay persons right to vote! We don't vote on civil rights issues... theyre CIVIL Rights.

And just as I'm writing this..I saw a Referendum 78 commerical on TV featuring a bunch of Episcopalian ministers in SUPPORT of same sex marriage. Thank God I live in a state where even many of the religious don't have their craniums inverted up their posteriors.

As I stated in another thread on this subject. The bottom line to legal marriage, gay or otherwise, can be summed up thusly.

Marriage is not regulated within any church. No church issues a marriage license. No church runs the courts which oversee divorce proceedings. Marriage is not a religious undertaking, it is a legal undertaking. Therefore marriage falls under the domain of various government agencies, and specifically the courts of law.

It is, I assume, ilegal for the government to discriminate, therefore it is ilegal to for the courts to decide based on sex or sexual orientation, who can and cannot be married or to who, so any two adults not currently under a marriage contract with another adult should be eligible to be married and expect to have access to the same right, privelges, and responsibilities of any other married couple.

• Like 5

As I stated in another thread on this subject. The bottom line to legal marriage, gay or otherwise, can be summed up thusly.

Marriage is not regulated within any church. No church issues a marriage license. No church runs the courts which oversee divorce proceedings. Marriage is not a religious undertaking, it is a legal undertaking. Therefore marriage falls under the domain of various government agencies, and specifically the courts of law.

It is, I assume, ilegal for the government to discriminate, therefore it is ilegal to for the courts to decide based on sex or sexual orientation, who can and cannot be married or to who, so any two adults not currently under a marriage contract with another adult should be eligible to be married and expect to have access to the same right, privelges, and responsibilities of any other married couple.

Eloquent and simple.

Big thumbs up for you on this.

Eloquent and simple.

Big thumbs up for you on this.

Thank you. And believe it or not that was 100% me. Maybe I was chaneling a smart guy. Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Well yes, yes he does. And so does the legislature that voted to create the law.

If the Supreme Court says that the Right to Marry falls under the FedGov/Constitution, and says it is part of "Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness", then sure, set up that national change.

It's not a "right to marry". It's rights "from" marriage. It's to allow the same rights, responsiblities and consequences as other married people. Gays can get married now. But without government recognition, do not get the same results. Alternatively we could do away with "marriage" benefits and considerations by the government. For example no marriage tax break. I doubt that would fly..

Edited by ninjadude

It would fly with me. Why should I be punished for not being married or rewarded for it?

Edited by OverSword

I think maybe I'll draft an initiative that states that you you don't have to rent an apartment to gay people because you don't like them. Or maybe one that states that black men are no longer able to marry asian women. Or maybe we should just put those women back in their place and forbid them to own property again. Maybe even revoke a gay persons right to vote! We don't vote on civil rights issues... theyre CIVIL Rights.

Without legislation and without the People voting for representatives that veiw things the same as they do... how will those Rights be enforced, if they are never written down and voted on??

Well yes, yes he does. And so does the legislature that voted to create the law.

It's not a "right to marry". It's rights "from" marriage. It's to allow the same rights, responsiblities and consequences as other married people. Gays can get married now. But without government recognition, do not get the same results. Alternatively we could do away with "marriage" benefits and considerations by the government. For example no marriage tax break. I doubt that would fly..

Touche Ninja.

You are right of course, but my point still is correct that if people don't like it (either way) they can elect someone to do something about it. If enough people elect enough like minded representatives, the law can be changed.

• 5 months later...

By the law, your children and next generation in United States will be taught in school, learning that "Being gay is okay". For they do not know it is a sin. They will be re-educated, brainwashed, by corporate media, social media and education system to learn from youth that homosexual lifestyle is normal.

The homosexual lobby groups will have many new, young fresh - out of school late teens and early 20s in their arms and have care-free sexual relationships. It is not a shame to them, because it is legalised in the law. "It is love", they said, yes, they love the young and naive who don't know if gay is sin or not.

Every American family with their children who have homosexual lifestyle will have no children to bear the family name to the next generation. Yes, let the immigants come and replace the vacancy in the workforce, you don't have grand children anyway.

Christians? Be silent and don't say anything about moral, less people call you haters and not "loving" in Christ's way as the "Pink in Red Equal sign" support group said. Don't rebute them or you will be called a "homophobic" person. Don't raise your voice even you know deeply in your heart that it is wrong or people calls you a "judgemental" fundamentalist.

Welcome to the new America.

Every American family with their children who have homosexual lifestyle will have no children to bear the family name to the next generation. Yes, let the immigants come and replace the vacancy in the workforce, you don't have grand children anyway.

Christians? Be silent and don't say anything about moral, less people call you haters and not "loving" in Christ's way as the "Pink in Red Equal sign" support group said. Don't rebute them or you will be called a "homophobic" person. Don't raise your voice even you know deeply in your heart that it is wrong or people calls you a "judgemental" fundamentalist.

That was a greasy bit of self-righteous self-pity. Surely you can do better.

• Like 1

At the risk of feeding an obvious troll on his very first post

By the law, your children and next generation in United States will be taught in school, learning that "Being gay is okay".

it is.

For they do not know it is a sin.

who cares?

They will be re-educated, brainwashed, by corporate media, social media and education system to learn from youth that homosexual lifestyle is normal.

normal is just another setting on the washing machine

The homosexual lobby groups will have many new, young fresh - out of school late teens and early 20s in their arms and have care-free sexual relationships. It is not a shame to them, because it is legalised in the law.

sex is not dirty or shameful and perfectly legal.

Every American family with their children who have homosexual lifestyle will have no children to bear the family name to the next generation.

no. actually they have children as well.

Christians? Be silent and don't say anything about moral, less people call you haters and not "loving" in Christ's way as the "Pink in Red Equal sign" support group said.

that's for your un-Christian beliefs.

actually it's the same America. It's just that we've woken up to affirm equality in sexual orientation and marriage.

• Like 2

The only thing the youth of America will gain, is the right to love whomever they choose. Regardless of sex, size, color. They gain a choice.

Leave people alone. I am as straight as an arrow, I love women. But if a dude wants to be with another dude, let them be. Who cares, let them be happy.

• Like 3