Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Call to cull coral predator

crown-of-thorns starfish coral

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

ENVIRONMENT Minister Tony Burke will consider proposals to expand the culling of crown-of-thorns starfish in the wake of a startling report that found the coral predators had helped strip away half the Great Barrier Reef in recent decades.

Mr Burke told The Age yesterday he was ''enthusiastic'' about looking at new ways to combat outbreaks of the starfish, whose numbers have swelled after the Queensland floods of 2010.

A landmark study published yesterday by scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine Science found that half of the reef's coral had disappeared in the past 27 years and less than a quarter could remain by 2022.

http://www.smh.com.a...1002-26xg8.html

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

I guess the need for the reef outweighs the value of the predatory species.

It's a shame that the starfish don't have other uses. We have an abundance of nutria here in southeast Louisiana. I don't think they are considered predatory, but they are a nuisance. Thankfully, though, their meat is edible and their pelts are valuable.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 02 October 2012 - 04:45 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Everything I've read says it is global warming that is killing the reef. I wish they would make up their minds.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,453 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Global warming may be a contributing factor in the starfish doing so well.  Should cull them to save the reef.

Also tagged with crown-of-thorns starfish, coral

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users