Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do atheists get a hard time?

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#76    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

This is an interesting article detailing examples of the when non believers of the christian faith were killed.....so atheists don't get a hard time eh?

http://articles.exch...n-killed-by.php

#77    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 17,085 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

View Postscowl, on 19 October 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Because I would take your word for it. You wouldn't lie, would you?
No i wouldn't. But not many people would choose to believe me. I appreciate your openness. Of course anyone would have a legitimate right to quesion the nature of whatever  stood next to me in the photo, and even if they accpeted its  physical reality, some people might not believe it was god, because while thay have a absolute belief in god, they also have an absolute belief that god cannot appear in physical form.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#78    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 19 October 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

No i wouldn't. But not many people would choose to believe me.

How do you know? And who cares? Have God pose for a picture and post it.

If people say it's not God, that's their loss. If people say it is God then you will be a famous person, perhaps even a prophet.

#79    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postscowl, on 19 October 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

If people say it's not God, that's their loss. If people say it is God then you will be a famous person, perhaps even a prophet.

Surely Mr Walker has been joking all along hasn't he? Or am I missing the point?

#80    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,996 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

You die if your'e an Atheist or a Pope, if after you die you are still aware, now thats a bonus,however if you arn't aware you won't know as you are dead.so why worry and chew it to bits.Its gonna happen sooner or later.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#81    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 17,085 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostBling, on 19 October 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

Surely Mr Walker has been joking all along hasn't he? Or am I missing the point?
Here are two real exampes. God appeared to me aged 22 as a blinding column/ pillar of light who spoke to me and removed my long term physical addiction to nicotine immediatelyand permanently. Other witnesses saw this light appear and disappear . With a camera, the light would (i assume) have appeared as a 2 metre tall column of light of many thousands of watts  lighting up hundreds of square metres of nightscape, as bright as day
Now what would any third person make of such a photograph?
Second, while in hospital aged 53, waiting for a triple by pass, I was visited by a very handsome young man in an  expensive suit who gave me a bible . To cut  a long story short he disappeared from a fifth floor balcony with only one access point which i ,among others, was observing . Many of the nurses commented on my visitor, so I assume  if a photo had been taken he would have appeared in it. ( but perhaps not)
In any case what would such a photo prove to a third person?

God is contextual .The evidences of gods existence are rea,l but not always transferable in forms which convince third parties.

This is the case for many things in life Most of us believe other peole because of mutual consent Eg we accept the reality of their experiences as credible. But when it comes to god, and  some other things, this mutual consent is often withdrawn.

Here are two other true stories from my life. I was sitting in a boat fishing one day, as a teenager, when i heard a funny noise and felt spots of water on my arm. I looked up, in time to see a dolphin reentering the water alongside my boat. It had jumped clear over me in pursuit of a school of fish.

On another night i was walking down a ramp on our local jetty. The ramp was slippery from wet swimmers using it, and i slipped towards the water. As i hung, suspended over the water, i saw two fins cut the surface, a metre below me. Thinking "shark!" I reachd out and grabbed a metal rail  used to tie boats to, swinging myslef  around in 360 degress back onto the  ramp. At the sme time i heard a whoshing sound and realised i had almost landed not  on the back of a  shark, but of a porpoise.
Now I can offer no convincing evidences of either experience. But they were real  So are my experiences with what i consider to be a real and physical god.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#82    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 19 October 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Here are two real exampes. God appeared to me aged 22 as a blinding column/ pillar of light who spoke to me and removed my long term physical addiction to nicotine immediatelyand permanently. Other witnesses saw this light appear and disappear . With a camera, the light would (i assume) have appeared as a 2 metre tall column of light of many thousands of watts  lighting up hundreds of square metres of nightscape, as bright as day
Second, while in hospital aged 53, waiting for a triple by pass, I was visited by a very handsome young man in an  expensive suit who gave me a bible . To cut  a long story short he disappeared from a fifth floor balcony with only one access point which i ,among others, was observing . Many of the nurses commented on my visitor, so I assume  if a photo had been taken he would have appeared in it. ( but perhaps not)

God is contextual .The evidences of gods existence are rea,l but not always transferable in forms which convince third parties.

This is the case for many things in life Most of us believe other peole because of mutual consent Eg we accept the reality of their experiences as credible. But when it comes to god, and  some other things, this mutual consent is often withdrawn.

Here are two other true stories from my life. I was sitting in a boat fishing one day, as a teenager, when i heard a funny noise and felt spots of water on my arm. I looked up, in time to see a dolphin reentering the water alongside my boat. It had jumped clear over me in pursuit of a school of fish.

On another night i was walking down a ramp on our local jetty. The ramp was slippery from wet swimmers using it, and i slipped towards the water. As i hung, suspended over the water, i saw two fins cut the surface, a metre below me. Thinking "shark!" I reachd out and grabbed a metal rail  used to tie boats to, swinging myslef  around in 360 degress back onto the  ramp. At the sme time i heard a whoshing sound and realised i had almost landed not  on the back of a  shark, but of a porpoise.
Now I can offer no convincing evidences of either experience. But they were real  So are my experiences with what i consider to be a real and physical god.

I respect your experiences and what you feel they are, thanks for sharing. :tu:

#83    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,557 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostBling, on 19 October 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

This is an interesting article detailing examples of the when non believers of the christian faith were killed.....so atheists don't get a hard time eh?

http://articles.exch...n-killed-by.php

Hardly unbiased sources there. Leaving aside the fact that, as far as I can see it only mentions 1 person killed for being an atheist. Remember, non-christian =/= atheist. There are other religions out there.

Many of the events in the list are actually deaths of Christians. Frankly, compared to other religious groups, atheists have very little to complain about, especially these days.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#84    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,996 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 19 October 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

I wouldnt put down that your God saved you, ref  the fish angle, I would say you had a quick reaction survival instinct,as for the guy in the Hospital, well he didn't walk off the balcony,and if you were actually watching you would have either seen where he went or seen him literally disappear before your eyes. But I'm not knocking your experiences as I've had a few unexplainable things happen to me,I just put it down to Fate.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#85    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 17,085 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

View Postscowl, on 19 October 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

I know from long experience with people .  If it should happen that i have   a camera with me next time, i will have a go. I dont carry or use a camera or mobile phone, so it is unlikely

But again, what would such a photo prove to you? Do you know what god looks like and could you match the photo to your perception/memory of god ?  God appears in all shapes and forms, because "he" is every where in every thing. I could send you a photo of myself and, in one respect, you would have a photo of the external appearance of god. When you look into a mirror you are looking into the eyes of god, whether you realise it or or not.

But god does not JUST exist within us. Just as we are a constituent part of the universe,  the universe is a part of us.

So it is with god.
Ps I am a famous person and a prophet. I certainly dont want to be any more well known, or have people in real life know i am a prophet. In reality that is dangerous and non productive.Think about what happens to most public prophets.  I have spent a large part of my life trying hard to be unknown.Prophesisng about real things can hurt people and certainly scare them. IMO its not worth the bother. It drives people away.  I live in a small community where i have taught three generations of people and  i am quite notorious enough for my comfort.
I also have no need for either the validaton or ego boost that some people require in their lives.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#86    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 17,085 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 19 October 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

I wouldnt put down that your God saved you, ref  the fish angle, I would say you had a quick reaction survival instinct,as for the guy in the Hospital, well he didn't walk off the balcony,and if you were actually watching you would have either seen where he went or seen him literally disappear before your eyes. But I'm not knocking your experiences as I've had a few unexplainable things happen to me,I just put it down to Fate.
Sorry you misunderstood my intent. God had nothing to do with the "fish". As you say very quick reflexes where my mind worked very fast while time passed in slow motion. Ive bnever even considered the influence of god in that case. My point was that ALL those experiences are real. Now people might believe the stories of the porpoises, but choose not to believe the stories about god/angels My point is WHY they discriminate in their belief.
The bloke on the balcony is differnt  He walked out onto s small balcony on a singlr room five floors above the ground i folowed him out to thank him when i  got onto the balcony less than a minute after him he was gone No other entrances, many metres between that balcony and any other,  and fifty feet or more above the ground  . He had no parachute or abseiling equipment  And WHY would he jump an olympic long jump fifty feet above ground to the next balcony even if he could in a tight fitting tailored suit. Part of the context, of course, is in the bible he gave me. I opened it as he was walking out. When i read the page i had opened it to  my eyes went to this verse. "Have no fear. No harm shall come to you, for I am watching over you."   That is why i raced after him, dragging my monitoring equipment with me.

I was in the hospital because of explicit warnings god gave to me, and because of his guardian ship over me, that lead me to be there when no one could find anything physically wrong with me As it turns out i would have otherwise (in my cardiac surgeons estimation) been dead within a few months without a triple by pass, and never even have known I was ill.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#87    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

View PostSetton, on 19 October 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

Hardly unbiased sources there. Leaving aside the fact that, as far as I can see it only mentions 1 person killed for being an atheist. Remember, non-christian =/= atheist. There are other religions out there.

Many of the events in the list are actually deaths of Christians. Frankly, compared to other religious groups, atheists have very little to complain about, especially these days.

Make what you want of the article, pick and choose as you wish. I read the whole thing so I saw about the deaths of Christians, but that is not what I was referring to was it? I know there are many other faiths, but an atheist is an atheist, I just choose to refer to Christianity because it's what I know. Non believers, heretics, blasphemers and any other label you care to add, have been persecuted and killed for thousands of years by believers of religions - and it still happens today. Just because someone doesn't believe in an unproven theory does not mean they deserve to be tortured and killed. That's one of the reasons I shared that article on this thread.

#88    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 19 October 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Ive been sharing it in words for  8 years or so on um. Yes i had a number of breakthroughs. The first was becoming one with the cosmic consciousness while very young and while still an atheist. I never considered it god, just an alien entity.

Later the actions of this entity to physically contact me, manifest beside me, protect me and work with me, led me to the realisation that this is the being humans call god.  God is not always noticeably present with me in material physical form, but always with me in my conscious mind and in my heart so he can respond and manifest immedaitely "on demand" in critical periods. God resides in my body and so I can control both much of my mental process and also some of my physiological processes like pain.
We are all jesus in one way. The holy spirit, or power and energy of god, resides within everyone of us, and is accessible to any of us. The kingdom of heaven is a state of mind which also exists right here and ow in side my self, and potentially within every human being.
When I've tried talking to God (when young), I never heard anything back.  Do you have a set of steps one can follow to become one with the cosmic consciousness?  A set of sets to hear and talk to God?

#89    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

Can we please try to get back to the original topic. Sharing experiences with Jesus is in another thread!

#90    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 17,085 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

View Postranrod, on 20 October 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

When I've tried talking to God (when young), I never heard anything back.  Do you have a set of steps one can follow to become one with the cosmic consciousness?  A set of sets to hear and talk to God?

No, and i am really sorry to say that. For me it was like controlled lucid dreaming, obeing, and a number of other paranormal abilities. They came to me so young that now i really cant outline how they occured,

Iin all cases i was pursuing the nature of my self and my mind. I know that, from about the age of 3 or four when i became aware of my inner dialogues, and streams of consciousness i was fascinated. I  know that i was pursuing the linkage of my consious and subconscious minds  from the age of about 4 or five, to  facilitate controlled lucid dreaming.

But step by step? No. However there is the original book by Bucke on the cosmic consciousness, as well as a lot of modern stuff. I stumbled on it without intending to, and without having a clue what  it was  for many years.
I can suggest working on the skills involved in controlled lucid dreaming and obeing, because i think these open up your mind to contact with the cosmic consciousness.

Like you i tried talking to god and asking him to give me the skills to be a professional tennis player. I never heard him speak back either ANd yet, even then, i was one with the cosmic consciousness. I never thought of that as god and never considered it might have a physical practical dimension beyond that of the mind. I used it as a learning and recreational tool  to expand my consciousnes and gain new experiences.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users