Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is World Peace Possible?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

It depends on the definition of world peace.  Is world peace just for humans?   soldier4death mentioned seven billion ideas.   How about if there's zero human ideas?   If humans go extinct, is there world peace?  Or does violence/predation continue?

From a humanist perspective, a terrible threat to earth from outside of this world could jar our collective conscience to come together in unprecedented harmony/solidarity.  
From an animalian perspective, all life would likely have to end.  
From a religious perspective, the 2nd coming of Christ, the rapture, Armageddon, or some other massive global catastrophe prophesied in books or calendars might need to occur.  
From a government perspective, world peace may be possible someday but what a horrible world it'd be not being able to violently throw down people you disagree with and take their stuff!
From a futurist perspective like the Star Trek universe where humanity is so evolved we don't even use money anymore?   Nope, still zapping each other!

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#17    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

"...how can moonlight be so peaceful on a restless sea...? yeah baby, i got the wild wind in my veins..."

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

#18    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

As long as there are humans, there will be war.

#19    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 02 October 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Could humans achieve world peace or are we doomed to just keep repeating the same wars and mistakes until we wipe ourselves out?

Unfortunately - No..  Humans will always differ and bicker..We suck !

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#20    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Nope. Humans need conflict to strive - to keep on achieving - to keep on advancing. If we have "world peace" we would begin to stagnate as a species...

#21    the eternal me

the eternal me

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 05 October 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

Unfortunately - No..  Humans will always differ and bicker..We suck !

that gets back to the whole concept of the problem being the way we think.....

arguments start because we believe that we are right....
and argument is a heated debate over who is right and who is not...

ego based from start to finish...

to start peace.... might i suggest a simple thought?

everybody has the right to their own opinion....
no matter how wrong it may be.....

there is truth to every side of the argument...

when you sit and listen to what is being said....

you learn a larger view to your own world....

its ok to disagree... but there really is no point to getting wrapped up in ego....

Edited by the eternal me, 05 October 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#22    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

View Postthe eternal me, on 05 October 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

its ok to disagree... but there really is no point to getting wrapped up in ego....

Everyone will differ  regardless..  You have your ideas.. others will either agree or not.. Ego  is a human stumbling block..many cannot see past it..  We all get a trip or two with our own ego's  ..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#23    the eternal me

the eternal me

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 05 October 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

Everyone will differ  regardless..  You have your ideas.. others will either agree or not.. Ego  is a human stumbling block..many cannot see past it..  We all get a trip or two with our own ego's  ..

yup...... agreed....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users