Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where is the future we planned?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,507 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Kinda amusing discussion between youth and the aged. I rather side with youth in this instance. Probably youth will always be more hopeful in the future than a cranky old man like me, for example. I think a lot of great progress in many areas of society and in the sciences have happened since 1969.

I was a hippy back during the revolutionary days and I thought that optimistic outlook would lead us to a wonderful future. It didn't quite happen they way we had it planned, but different good things happened instead, so I should be satisfied.

We can't predict the future, it seems to go its own way, good and bad.

Coincidentally, I recently wrote a short story in my blog called The Project that is related to this very subject. What a coincidence!

Edited by StarMountainKid, 02 October 2012 - 09:51 PM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#17    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

Age is irrelevant in discussion unless it is used to bludgeon a point of view across by denegrating someones contribution based on their age.

I am with Atlantia here in the OP - there was a huge surge in confidence amongst many peoples in the 1960's  that some of the very large advances to bring about a better world were just around the corner (so to speak). Many of them never materialised for a variety of reasons: The Military / Industrial Complex; inertia built into various Political Systems; the power of pharmaceutical companies; the radicalising of many religions; the buying up by Patent Houses of nascent innovations in turn bought up by traditionalist companies to protect their own market share (luddites) etc etc.

I remain optimistic however that things will improve, but probably not in my lifetime

"The New Richard Nixon" and "Atlantias" comments re: the age of contributors here, should just be ignored by all. IMO

Edited by keithisco, 03 October 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#18    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm a 60's child as well.  The 60's in general was a time of great optimism and idealist thinking.  Strides where being made in many areas, including civil rights.  So many today take those accomplishments for granted.  I thought that by the year 2000 no one would notice anyone's race anymore.

Dont forget flying cars, Jetpacks, and meals in a pill - where did those go?!!!

Edited by ranrod, 05 October 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#19    JamesThomas

JamesThomas

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Well, from my research it seems we are on the verge -- within the next year or two -- of having LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reaction) being perfected and marketed. This will give the world very inexpensive clean energy. Energy that will drastically change the existing paradigm, and open the way for us old hippies to see our dreams come true.

"Every man’s world picture is and always remains a construct of his mind, and cannot be proved to have any other existence." -- Erwin Schrödinger

#20    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,355 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

View PostAtlantia, on 02 October 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

Makes up for the lack of flying cars :(
When I was a kid I wanted a flying car. Now that I'm older I realize how bloody dangerous that would be.

#21    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

Well I think that there has been a combined attack against our future and prospects..

Attacking from the left, Corporatism, and their biggest weapons are Copyright and paitents..

Attacking from the right, Bankers and money lenders.. Their biggest weapon has been illusion and slavery..

Let's face it, the only things that have stopped a great future for us all and future generations has been the Corporations and Bankers.

#22    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,355 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:59 AM

Seriously though. I'm also a child of the 60's, 1963 to be exact.

When the question of "Where is the future we planned?" is asked, you just know that it was doomed to failure. The future cannot be planned.

A month or so ago, someone posted a thread about some French trading cards from 1900 depicting what life would be like in the year 2000. Most were extremely fanciful and a just few were strangely reminiscent of what life is like now.

When we were children was there anyone dreaming about mapping the human genome, 3D printers and nanotechnology? Someone could probably provide some examples from science-fiction films and books from the time, but I digress.

Before most of us who are reading this right now are dead, there will be new technologies that will emerge that we can't even conceive of, let alone find a use for, right now.

The 'dream' is not dead, it just keeps evolving.

#23    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

New Rice for Africa – Plant Breeding Technologies Fighting Hunger

http://www.wipo.int/...ticle_0006.html

U.S. Navy wants to run its ships on seawater

http://dvice.com/arc...avy-wants-t.php

You're living in the future, realise it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users