Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Eskimo-missing puzzle

discovery of america giants eskimo mythology

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,557 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

View Postthe L, on 08 February 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Awww how sweet...
You and questionmark made perfect couple so it isnt surprise that you think same.
What is surprising is that you two (so called sceptics) agreed on totaly fringe idea.(Jays)

[snip]

This is quite obviously meant to be demeaning to the two (male-identified) people to whom it is addressed. There is nothing demeaning about being a straight couple in our heteronormative society, so I put forth it is most likely you would not have mentioned their putative romantic couplehood or at least their putative suitability as a romantic couple without insulting intent. As I said, it is implied and not explicit.

So, you know, yes, we all got the slur. And we got that you cleverly distanced yourself from out and out homophobic content, but let's not also pretend it wasn't there, and get back to you telling Inuits all about their own culture. It's better for us all to stay more or less on topic.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#62    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Wikipedia is not a legitimate source.

I don't agree that Theresa Lee Clark was arrogant.    IMO she was informing you.  Your response was arrogant.  You seem unable or unwilling to hear opposing ideas. It's unfortunate TLC hasn't participated in  this discussion, it would have been interesting to learn more.  But now I'm bored with all this.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#63    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 10 February 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Wikipedia is not a legitimate source.

I don't agree that Theresa Lee Clark was arrogant. IMO she was informing you.  Your response was arrogant.  You seem unable or unwilling to hear opposing ideas. It's unfortunate TLC hasn't participated in  this discussion, it would have been interesting to learn more.  But now I'm bored with all this.

Wikipedia is like portal. You need to check sites they refering to.
About Theresa. Ofcourse I dont agree. Thats your view. My is very much different. I let mods be judges. So if you think I was arrogant in anyway there is button "report" where you can report my arogance to mods.
I agree it is unfortunate that she dont participate.
Im too bored to answer on your imaginary accusition that I insulted Theresa.

Btw she didnt bring none info into discussion.

Edited by the L, 10 February 2013 - 08:35 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#64    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 10 February 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

It's better for us all to stay more or less on topic.

--Jaylemurph

It was you who move away from topic. I just answerd on your posts.
So its good to know that you listen my advice and decide to return on topic. :tu:

Edited by the L, 10 February 2013 - 08:36 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#65    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

By the way, your opening quote is from an Inuit writer, your following statements contradict what she is saying. So, she it's wrong and you are right?

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#66    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 10 February 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

By the way, your opening quote is from an Inuit writer, your following statements contradict what she is saying. So, she it's wrong and you are right?

Dear Lava Lady,

View Postthe L, on 09 February 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

Dear Lava Lady,

I open with it because I like the quote. It set you up into place much different then urban environment with punishment and reward system.
Also it explain what wiki say about that quote in the link I provided.

If you want I can explain what wiki say about it or quote it.
Im not saying that she is wrong and Im right. Because I dont know what Theresa have on her mind. Because that madam just stated that in this thread there are many misconceptions here and never show up again.
I can only conclude that she change her mind.

#67    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

View Postthe L, on 10 February 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

Dear Lava Lady,

If you want I can explain what wiki say about it or quote it.
Im not saying that she is wrong and Im right. Because I dont know what Theresa have on her mind. Because that madam just stated that in this thread there are many misconceptions here and never show up again.
I can only conclude that she change her mind.

No thank you.  I've moved on to other topics.  I'm done.

#68    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 10 February 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

No thank you.  I've moved on to other topics.  I'm done.

See you around.

#69    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

View Postthe L, on 08 February 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

View PostTheSearcher, on 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

L they repeat their mantra, the same way you repeat yours. However you're both wrong and both right.
Yes, history is an actual science. (which is what you keep "mantraing" about)
However, history is part of those sciences, in which data is provided primarily from past events and for which there is usually no direct experimental data, such as cosmology, astronomy, astrophysics, geology, paleontology and archaeology. (Which is what you accuse Jay and Everdred to "mantra" about)
One can draw a distinction, between research directed towards identifying laws and research which seeks to determine how particular historical events occurred.Having said this, nobody ever said that the proverbial line between these sorts of science can be drawn neatly and evenly
And last but not least, historical claims are as much empirically verifiable than any other sort of claims.
So quite honestly, you ignore quite a few facts yourself. Mr; Pot, meet Mr. Kettle......

Searcher,
for my mantra I gave reasons. I didnt see them refuting those reasons.
I think that Im right and they wrong. This next is just speculation. I think that reason for our different opinion is because US citizens are tought differently.
Unless someone proove me that history isnt organized or that isnt knowledge I will think on history as science.
When I heard about Congress of historical methods/studies I will change my mind.
Whats the different between my and Jay view? Thats main question. What does it change? Perhaps fact that history is self correcting? also speculating.
Also sciences isnt just experiments.Judging on that we need to discover time machine and go in history then observe. We can done thought experiments although.
But to be good historian beside good expression and communication skills you need to have insights and travel in your mind to the past. You must use imagination in sense.
You must be able to do thought experiments. But what you can do in present is observation. Observation of many things related to history. Obesrvation is scientific method.
Ofcourse also you can study old manuscripts. And yes history use archaeology, geology, astronomy,...Same as physics use math.
What you mean by this: "historical claims are as much empirically verifiable than any other sort of claims."?
There was a time before scientists. Their meaning evolve. What is scientists? Whats historian then? Natural philosopher? Observer? Methodologist? Cmon.

L, by your post you prove that you did not understand one word of what I was saying. Also, I'm not a US citizen, just for the record.

You can't even see that I said" yes, history is a science and knowledge" You went off into one of your regular half cocked and silly ramblings, on how you are right and everybody else is wrong.

I've highlighted the relevant parts for you. And yes, you do need empirical proof, even as a historian, when you make a claim. Imagination is just not enough. If you cannot by some way or another prove that what you imagine happens to be correct, then it remains just a mental exercise, nothing even a theory, but an assumption or at best a hypothesis. That's what I mean by you also need empirical evidence.

Of course I know what is going to happen now, you are going to not understand, disagree and be arrogant about it. Thn say that we are all wrong and "imagine" a bit more.. At this point, the respect has run out, the way you answer other people......not even worth a comment anymore. Sadly dissapointing....

View Postjmccr8, on 09 February 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

Hi Searcher,
Good to see you back. I think that in part it has always been a political issue, the Inuit people did not have any representatives present when the treaties were signed.When it became more financially viable for gov't and industry to develop the resources,and of course the military and NORAD. When it came time to negotiate a treaty with the Inuit people that the gov't (and we know how frugal they are,haha)felt  it would affect the treaties that had been originally signed with the Aboriginal people,so they were given a classification that isolated them as a distinct and different culture.
jmccr8

Glad to be back JMCCR8. And thanks for the explanation, I figured it was something like that.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#70    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 11 February 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

If someone didnt understand something that was you so dissapointing is mutually.

#71    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Btw this is what is called silly ramblings.

View PostTheSearcher, on 11 February 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

L, by your post you prove that you did not understand one word of what I was saying. Also, I'm not a US citizen, just for the record.

You can't even see that I said" yes, history is a science and knowledge" You went off into one of your regular half cocked and silly ramblings, on how you are right and everybody else is wrong.

I've highlighted the relevant parts for you. And yes, you do need empirical proof, even as a historian, when you make a claim. Imagination is just not enough. If you cannot by some way or another prove that what you imagine happens to be correct, then it remains just a mental exercise, nothing even a theory, but an assumption or at best a hypothesis. That's what I mean by you also need empirical evidence.

Of course I know what is going to happen now, you are going to not understand, disagree and be arrogant about it. Thn say that we are all wrong and "imagine" a bit more.. At this point, the respect has run out, the way you answer other people......not even worth a comment anymore. Sadly dissapointing....

Edited by the L, 11 February 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#72    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

I rest my case.....

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#73    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostTheSearcher, on 11 February 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

I rest my case.....

I suspect you did it because of your ego. (All this) Sadly your mate should do that on page two. But he hates to loose. I also hate to loose so I understand him completly. Only instead of him I would react different in my defeat. Although this thread totaly moved from topic I wouldnt called it unproductive. Atleast I learn about some people who dwells here. And beside that I have a new profile quote.

See you around.

Edit: Ironicly as member title of jay it is written : Scientician. So according to Jay he isnt historian. Even  Harte say so.

Edited by the L, 11 February 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#74    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 7,990 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postthe L, on 08 February 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

Harte I already told you  several times. I will repeat it again.
I dare you to quote me and respond to my particular part of post which you dont agree or keep quite. Its easy to attack person but attack my arguments if you dare.
I double dare you?Lets value your knowledge? What do you say? Please stop hiding behind sceptic mask whos tactic is hit and run.

Respond to 500 words that boil down to "It appears that the Vikings may have had sex with some Inuit."?

Please.  The Inuit are world-famous for having sex with strangers.

Ever read "Top of the World?'

What's to respond to here?

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#75    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostHarte, on 11 February 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Respond to 500 words that boil down to "It appears that the Vikings may have had sex with some Inuit."?

Please.  The Inuit are world-famous for having sex with strangers.

Ever read "Top of the World?'

What's to respond to here?

Harte

How do you know it wasnt Slavic people who came from Asia?

Edited by the L, 11 February 2013 - 07:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users