Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Eskimo-missing puzzle

discovery of america giants eskimo mythology

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#76    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 9,017 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

View Postthe L, on 11 February 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Edit: Ironicly as member title of jay it is written : Scientician. So according to Jay he isnt historian. Even  Harte say so.

This is what is known to humans as a "joke".

It specifically refers to an old episode of the Simpsons, where someone is clearly not a scientist claims the cultural authority. I concede 15 year old Simpsons references may not be culturally universal, so you may not be able to appreciate it as such.

The fact that it elegantly proves what the Searcher is saying, while deeply satisfying, is entirely coincidental.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#77    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hey Jay, it was you who told: science=/=history. Therefore scientian=/=historian.

Here is another analogy so that you might understand better your view.(now this is a joke. And lession)

All men are mortal
Socrates is man
Conclusion: Socrates is mortal.

TA-DA!

This is what is known to humans as- Logic!

Edited by the L, 11 February 2013 - 08:33 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#78    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 9,017 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

View Postthe L, on 11 February 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Hey Jay, it was you who told: science=/=history. Therefore scientian=/=historian.

Here is another analogy so that you might understand better your view.(now this is a joke. And lession)

All men are mortal
Socrates is man
Conclusion: Socrates is mortal.

TA-DA!

This is what is known to humans as- Logic!

A lesion? Good heavens. You should have that attended to by a medical practitioner.

And as to logic -- my dear Zoe -- it merely enables one to be wrong with authority. (Not that I think anyone here is claiming immortality to be schooled by your alleged 'logic'. I'd mention someone whose initials are DC, but I'd be too afraid he or his d******* might show up.)

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#79    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,988 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

L,

If you think Jaylemurph is no historian, maybe you should ask him what happened to the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#80    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

View Postjaylemurph, on 11 February 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

A lesion?

What... you stop to learn?
Ah yes, I remeber you admit you are ignorant. I thought well now when I called him ignorant now I will must find 3 eveidence of Jays ignorance but Jay simply get out of closet and admit it.
Brave boy.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#81    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostHarte, on 11 February 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

L,

If you think Jaylemurph is no historian, maybe you should ask him what happened to the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island.

Harte

Harte I do believe this guy is historian. In ceratin sense all men are historians. We just argue is he is scientician ( as his member title said) or he is methodologist (as Jay claim and whatever that means).

#82    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Also I doubt that he is willing to tell me now after all this. And in that sense I lost.

Edited by the L, 11 February 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#83    Harte

Harte

• 9,988 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Don't worry, L, it was just an old inside joke between Jaylemurph and myself, and even he might not have remembered that.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#84    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostHarte, on 11 February 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Don't worry, L, it was just an old inside joke between Jaylemurph and myself, and even he might not have remembered that.

Harte

And for a moment I thought look how nice Harte is.

Edited by the L, 11 February 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#85    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

View Postthe L, on 11 February 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

I suspect you did it because of your ego. (All this) Sadly your mate should do that on page two. But he hates to loose. I also hate to loose so I understand him completly. Only instead of him I would react different in my defeat. Although this thread totaly moved from topic I wouldnt called it unproductive. Atleast I learn about some people who dwells here. And beside that I have a new profile quote.

See you around.

Edit: Ironicly as member title of jay it is written : Scientician. So according to Jay he isnt historian. Even  Harte say so.

You don't know me enough to make that kind of statement L. So refrain from it please.Also, you're getting dangerously close to being insulting now, that teaches me something in turn.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#86    Harte

Harte

• 9,988 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

View Postthe L, on 11 February 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

And for a moment I thought look how nice Harte is.
Sorry to convey the wrong persona.  Didn't mean to fool you! :devil:

Harte

Anybody like Coleridge?

#87    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostTheSearcher, on 12 February 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

You don't know me enough to make that kind of statement L. So refrain from it please.Also, you're getting dangerously close to being insulting now, that teaches me something in turn.
True I dont know you. Even if I do I cant know for sure your reason. I can only suspect things. I didnt want to insult you neither I did it. If I did I would apologize because thats not my intentions.

View PostHarte, on 12 February 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Sorry to convey the wrong persona.  Didn't mean to fool you! :devil:

Harte

I should know better, true.

Edited by the L, 12 February 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#88    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 9,017 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostHarte, on 11 February 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

L,

Harte

Harte, I haven't truely vented my spleen in a long time, and I feel like this would be an admirable opportunity. We all know the effect of too much black choler in the system.

I've got a shelf of old children's books about North Carolina legends L would no doubt take for gospel truth, which would be a fine way lead in to discussion.

--Jay le "They're dead. They're all dead." Murph

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#89    Harte

Harte

• 9,988 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

View Postjaylemurph, on 13 February 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

Harte, I haven't truely vented my spleen in a long time...

Whether the above is due to some sort of mental funk, or whether it was due to a supreme and serene patience on your part, I gotta say I admire you for accomplishing that which I find almost impossible to achieve!

View Postjaylemurph, on 13 February 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

I feel like this would be an admirable opportunity. We all know the effect of too much black choler in the system.
I suppose this means that I'm (at least) free from the unhealthy aspects of an unvented spleen.

Harte

Anybody like Coleridge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users