Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Second-Hand Smoking Damages Memory

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

View Postbones101proof, on 03 October 2012 - 07:50 AM, said:

Whoa, my man, I never doubted this researching procedure. I was actually wondering if first hand smoke causes memory loss as well as second hand smoke.

i was putting that research in the reply for all the other posters here that were questioning it

the part in my post below the me -quoting you part - is meant for you. More specific i will repeat what was towards you:

So it also concluded that non (second hand) smokers recalled more time based PM tasks than smokers.

#17    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 03 October 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

They say it's the nicotine that actually improves memory when you smoke. I dunno about that either. I couldn't find my keys when I was a smoker, I quit 7 months ago, with a nicotine replacement therapy, and I still can't find my keys. :blush:  LOL

I've never quite figured out what it was about 2nd hand smoke that was so different from first hand.

I'm guessing here: exhaled smoke should have been somewhat filtered after it's been pillaged by the cilia in the smokers lungs. These are the fibers that trap the tar, many particles, and other nastiness that goes along with smoking.

Or do they consider second hand smoke to be the smoke emitting directly from the burning cigarette (which would then make it first hand smoke?)

It's just something I've always wondered about. LOL.

Oh and I'm pretty proud that I've been smoke free for 7 months. Thanks to a good quality ecig. The anti-smoking freaks have been trying to get those banned too though... but I can tell ya, my lung capacity came back, I can actually freaking run now, I don't stink anymore, my teeth are slowly getting better, and my skin has really really improved! Lovin them.

I don't know you, but, I'm very proud of you for quitting the cigarettes.  :)

Second hand smoke is from the exhale AND directly from the cigarette which is not filtered.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#18    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 02 October 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

Or maybe non smokers can still stop complaining, nowsdays smoking is outside, and if you are a non smoker hanging around a smoker, dont blame the smoker. you have a choice, its not like smokers come up to people and hang around them to pass off their second hand smoke.

That's a pretty general assumption... Lol  since there are literally millions of smokers around the world, I don't think you can say that smokers don't intentionally blow smoke into a non smokers way.  Maybe not all smokers are as Considerate as you are... Lol

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#19    HawkLord

HawkLord

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

• I reserve the right to change my mind when better and more accurate info becomes available.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Well I am surrounded by smokers in my family and I dont smoke so .... err I forget where I was going with this. :unsure2:

The rocks in my head fill the holes in yours.

It is easy to spout the wisdom of others when you have none of your own.

Insult me all you like but remember that i have a sword.

#20    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostRender, on 03 October 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

This was a normal amount of ppl to study, the important factor is the statistical signifance. p <.001 and p <.002. This is VERY statiscal significant.
That is what gives the study merit here. So saying it is poorly executed and the results aren't worth anything is BS.

Yes, the p value is statistically significant. That means nothing, however, if a study is poorly designed. Erroneous results can be obtained if there is bias or confounding by unmeasured variables. If you knew anything about study design, you would know this.

FYI: http://www.healthkno...ias-confounding

Again, I'm not criticizing the original study or defending smoking, just saying that the results were suggestive, not definitive as the ScienceDaily article suggests.

Edited by Cybele, 04 October 2012 - 12:54 AM.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#21    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,094 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostFurthurBB, on 03 October 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

This doesn't make a lot of sense because other studies have shown that smoking a cigarette can improve memory, like if you smoke right before a test.  I do not see why when exhaled it would have the opposite effect.  I would like to see some more study into this area.

View PostMissMelsWell, on 03 October 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

They say it's the nicotine that actually improves memory when you smoke. I dunno about that either. I couldn't find my keys when I was a smoker, I quit 7 months ago, with a nicotine replacement therapy, and I still can't find my keys. :blush:  LOL

I looked into these statements and found:

Weekend Smoking Can Damage Your Memory, Study Suggests

http://www.scienceda...20306072912.htm

Stopping Smoking Boosts Everyday Memory, Research Finds

http://www.scienceda...10920095253.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users