Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Blood Ivory: 25,000 Elephants Killed in 2011

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 14,435 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Who will save these disappearing creatures?  Can they be saved from extinction?

http://ngm.nationalg...ry/christy-text

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#2    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostYamato, on 03 October 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Who will save these disappearing creatures?  Can they be saved from extinction?

http://ngm.nationalg...ry/christy-text

Horrifying statistics. I urge everyone to read Yamato's linked article.

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,501 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

I am a firm believer on poachers being able to be shot on sight.  Even for non-endangered species, since poaching will eventually lead to endangerment.

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,991 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have the magazine at home.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#5    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 14,435 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Unfortunately the online article leaves off all the graphs and pictures attached to the article in the printed magazine.  Here's the video for the quick and dirty version of the story if anyone is mildly curious but didn't want to slog through reading the entire article.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,668 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

I hate poachers.  I have to put up with it here where I live but its deer not elephant.  They want that animal so bad sometimes they don't care if they are firing in the direction of your house.  My horse has been seriously hurt twice because of poacher.  They didn't shoot her but because she was asleep in the field it scared her and my other horse so bad she poked something into her eye, blind on that side now, called the vet.  Another time they caused her to cut a deep gash in her shoulder, called the vet.

If they don't get a handle on the elephant poaching there won't be any in the wild someday.

#7    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 14,435 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostHilander, on 04 October 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

I hate poachers.  I have to put up with it here where I live but its deer not elephant.  They want that animal so bad sometimes they don't care if they are firing in the direction of your house.  My horse has been seriously hurt twice because of poacher.  They didn't shoot her but because she was asleep in the field it scared her and my other horse so bad she poked something into her eye, blind on that side now, called the vet.  Another time they caused her to cut a deep gash in her shoulder, called the vet.

If they don't get a handle on the elephant poaching there won't be any in the wild someday.
Ditto whales, tigers, rhinos, polar bears, sharks, and every other animal that gets in the way of the 219,000 new mouths to feed this human world populates itself with daily.

#8    Varelse

Varelse

Unanimous Animous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

• The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principles upon which it was founded. -Montesquieu

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

Truly tragic. One of my favorite animals. The poachers are bad but the buyers are far worse.

Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 14,435 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:46 AM

View PostMr. Smith, on 06 October 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

Truly tragic. One of my favorite animals. The poachers are bad but the buyers are far worse.
Poachers deserve a bullet in the head.  What do buyers deserve?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users