Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Team to drill down to the Earth's mantle

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:41 AM

View PostIdano, on 04 October 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

Is this a good idea?
What Socio said? No it isn't.

What the scientists are doing? Yes it is.

(I think it is worth the price tag, but that is because (a) I am a scientist, and (B) I like seeing governments spend 9-figure sums on something unrelated to making weapons, although I am willing to concede that antipoverty and antihunger initiatives may be more worthwhile.)

#17    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 1,739 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:46 AM

View PostSocio, on 03 October 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

If they miscalculate, drill to far, puncture the outer core

That would have to be the mother of all miscalculations - to the tune of a couple of thousand miles.

#18    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

View Postsepulchrave, on 04 October 2012 - 03:41 AM, said:

What Socio said? No it isn't.

What the scientists are doing? Yes it is.

(I think it is worth the price tag, but that is because (a) I am a scientist, and ( B) I like seeing governments spend 9-figure sums on something unrelated to making weapons, although I am willing to concede that antipoverty and antihunger initiatives may be more worthwhile.)

Oh don't worry, the gov will find a way to weaponize what ever they find :)

What could possibly go wrong?

#19    dicmandic

dicmandic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

We know more about space than we do the oceans and the inner earth.

#20    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,952 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

What if the earth houses an entire race of some species that don't need this world-destructing nature of man? Just what if?

The Core has been one of my most favorite movies of all times, not because of the acting or directing, but because the entire idea of it is intriguing to me. And I would LOVE to live in a cave of amethyst. I would be in heaven living in a cave like that.

I think they are biting off far more than they should, and that they should back off from this.

Edited by regeneratia, 04 October 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#21    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,821 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 04 October 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

What if the earth houses an entire race of some species that don't need this world-destructing nature of man? Just what if?

The Core has been one of my most favorite movies of all times, not because of the acting or directing, but because the entire idea of it is intriguing to me. And I would LOVE to live in a cave of amethyst. I would be in heaven living in a cave like that.

I think they are biting off far more than they should, and that they should back off from this.

No.. you are just joking aren't you?? Seriously? You do know the pressures and temperatures down there...

Volcanoes have been doing this for eras, bringing magma to the surface, and you wont find amethyst down there either

#22    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,086 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

Did they say anything about sending a mic down there to see if they hear anything?  Maybe whatever is making the Bloop sound is there too...

#23    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,952 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

So you don't do "what ifs..."? OK, I get it. There is no dreaming of possiblities with you, right? Oh well, maybe on some parallel universe, huh?

"For the earth is hollow and I have touched the sky." Star Trek episode For the earth is hollow

View Postkeithisco, on 04 October 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

No.. you are just joking aren't you?? Seriously? You do know the pressures and temperatures down there...

Volcanoes have been doing this for eras, bringing magma to the surface, and you wont find amethyst down there either

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema

#24    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

I can think of to many things that can go wrong

#25    ShadowBoy86x

ShadowBoy86x

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Wow, this seem so, useless. Whats the point? Is it gunna cure cancer? I fail to see what this is gunna benefit ,,,,,

#26    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

hummm, stair way to heaven or the express elevator to hell? hummm.......tough call

#27    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,038 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

View Postregeneratia, on 05 October 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

So you don't do "what ifs..."? OK, I get it. There is no dreaming of possiblities with you, right? Oh well, maybe on some parallel universe, huh?
You're entire warning is founded on a "what if". What if your house is rigged to explode the next time you sleep? Oh noes!

#28    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,952 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 06 October 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

You're entire warning is founded on a "what if". What if your house is rigged to explode the next time you sleep? Oh noes!

What warning?

Professor Hilton Hotema

#29    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostSocio, on 03 October 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

If they miscalculate, drill to far, puncture the outer core sending tons of molten liquid gushing to the surface like a massive magma oil gusher it could destroy the magnetic field, we will lose our atmosphere and the polar axis would be constantly shifting causing massive earthquakes all over the globe possibly even moving entire continents not that anyone would be still be alive to witness it. Just saying.

Or... A more sane and scientific answer would have been;

They'll let all the air out, and the world will deflate.

I really don't think they should do this considering this.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#30    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

I hope they have given this careful consideration and done research so they don't destroy the planet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users