Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Keepers of the faith

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• News Writer
  • 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: sxc.hu</strong>
Image credit: sxc.hu
William B Stoecker: The phone rang. My wife answered it and handed it to me…it was a friend of mine, an interesting individual who reacted to a fundamentalist Christian upbringing by becoming an agnostic verging on atheism, and had become fairly active in a Sacramento skeptics group calling themselves “SORT,” which stands for “Sacramento Organization for Rational Thinking,” which, as I figured out some time ago, means conventional thinking. He had, over the years, become a bit disillusioned with these people and considered them to be a bit narrow minded…he had, in fact, become rather skeptical of the skeptics. SORT and several other groups of freethinkers were having a big meeting, and he invited me to attend in order to provide some balance with my opposing views. For those not familiar with the term “freethinker,” which sounds positively quaint today, understand that “freethinkers” are people who invariably think and believe whatever the government, academia, and the elite media tell them to think and believe. Skeptics are the ultimate true believers, and atheists are people who believe fervently in nothing and detest anyone who does not share their views. Looking forward to the sheer joy of irritating such people, I accepted.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

[...] atheists are people who believe fervently in nothing and detest anyone who does not share their views.

Atheism is the lack of belief in any gods and has nothing to do with pharmaceuticals or global warming. By the way, not all atheists are bullies.

Posted Image

#3    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

Sounds like a true religious bigot, trying to project his own negative image onto someone who isn't one of them.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#4    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

View PostHavocWing, on 11 October 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

Sounds like a true religious bigot, trying to project his own negative image onto someone who isn't one of them.

I just didn't understand how he tied atheism with global warming and pharmaceuticals, when atheism is simply the lack of belief in God. There have to be some atheists out there that believe that global warming and vaccines are conspiacies by the government. Shoot, not even all atheists accept evolution.

Posted Image

#5    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,984 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Stoecker grossly misdefines the term "free thinker".  Yes it is quaint, but he misdefines it.

Susan Jacoby wrote a book with that title, and the subtitle "A History of American Secularism"

The term was used 100 years ago to describe anybody who chose to think freely.  That is, NOT in accordance with the dogma, theology and superstition associated with organized religion.

Freethinkers were not confined in their thoughts to religious nonsense, nothing more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users