Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iranian police clash with protesters

questionmark

Police close Tehran's main bazaar for security reasons as authorities clash with demonstrators over collapse of rial to record low; protesters blast Ahmadinejad's economic policies.

Iranian riot police clashed on Wednesday with donstrators and foreign exchange dealers in the capital Tehran over the collapse of the country's currency, which has lost a third of its value against the dollar in a week, witnesses said.

Police fired tear gas to disperse the demonstrators, angered by the plunge in the value of the Iranian rial. Protesters shouted slogans against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, saying his economic policies had fuelled the economic crisis.

Read more

It's an interesting development. I hope the pressure cause some change in the behavior of the rulers but so far it has had zero effect in slowing the progress of an Iranian bomb.

It's an interesting development. I hope the pressure cause some change in the behavior of the rulers but so far it has had zero effect in slowing the progress of an Iranian bomb.

Can that statement be proven in any way? Our own inteligence agencies have stated recently that they're not trying to build a bomb.http://www.nytimes.c...ild-a-bomb.html

This is not a George Orwell novel we're living in but it certainly is starting to feel like one. People parroting fear monger headlines and propaganda. NO MORE WAR.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

Can that statement be proven in any way? Our own inteligence agencies have stated recently that they're not trying to build a bomb.http://www.nytimes.c...ild-a-bomb.html

This is not a George Orwell novel we're living in but it certainly is starting to feel like one. People parroting fear monger headlines and propaganda. NO MORE WAR.

Really? REALLY? Exactly how much evidence do you need this side of a mushroom cloud to put the pieces together? First - I did not say they had or were assembling a bomb. They are WORKING on the bomb. As in, scientific and technical aspects of production of warheads including miniaturization for a ballistic missile payload. Explosives tests for triggers (Parchin) and non stop enrichment - soon to be raised to 60% according to one of their majlis members if the west doesn't give them verification of their right to enrich. A person would have to either be a fool or an Iranian shill to disbelieve their intentions at this point. I have no interest in arguing with either. If you truly think Iran's enrichment activities are benign then so be it. But I have no taste for that kool aid - thanks anyway.

Why do you have to dramaticise everything? It seems that every time you mention Iran, you mention utter death, destruction, mushroom clouds and so on. Perhaps if you stick to the facts rather than such emotionally invested comments, more people would be willing to hear you out.

• Like 3

Seems to me sanctions are starting to bite,well done to Obama for not jumping the Gun and one in the eye for Netanyahu....

Why do you have to dramaticise everything? It seems that every time you mention Iran, you mention utter death, destruction, mushroom clouds and so on. Perhaps if you stick to the facts rather than such emotionally invested comments, more people would be willing to hear you out.

Because he's kind of obsessed with the subject..

Edited by shaddow134

Really? REALLY? Exactly how much evidence do you need this side of a mushroom cloud to put the pieces together? First - I did not say they had or were assembling a bomb. They are WORKING on the bomb. As in, scientific and technical aspects of production of warheads including miniaturization for a ballistic missile payload. Explosives tests for triggers (Parchin) and non stop enrichment - soon to be raised to 60% according to one of their majlis members if the west doesn't give them verification of their right to enrich. A person would have to either be a fool or an Iranian shill to disbelieve their intentions at this point. I have no interest in arguing with either. If you truly think Iran's enrichment activities are benign then so be it. But I have no taste for that kool aid - thanks anyway.

Tell this. If the USA, UK France, N. Korea, China Russia India, Pakistan can have nukes, why, in your opinion, can't they? Is it because of all of the wars they're constantly involved in?

Just funny how China is under everyones radar. Is it not obvious what is coming? Iran is just a coverup.

Off topic but please explain.

But hyperbole is the official language of these forums!

:P

• Like 1

Tell this. If the USA, UK France, N. Korea, China Russia India, Pakistan can have nukes, why, in your opinion, can't they? Is it because of all of the wars they're constantly involved in?

If it's your opinion that Iran's current government is as stable as all the aforementioned then I'd say no problem. Other than the fact that there are already too darned many of the things. But this government is lead by religious extremists who have quite openly and repeatedly expressed a desire to end another UN nation. I'm sure the apologists will ride in on their semantic bandwagons but the statements have become too many and too clear for that old tired trick. The Iranians Islamists want Israel destroyed. THEN they want America destroyed. In a world where 19 guys with box cutters can tank a nation's economy and cause the deaths of thousands I think this threat deserves a little more circumspection by the powers that be. But most here simply yawn.

Isn't this about their money's value falling compared to the dollar? How did their nuclear program get involved?

Isn't this about their money's value falling compared to the dollar? How did their nuclear program get involved?

The problems they are experiencing are due to the sanctions imposed on them by the international community due to their nuclear work.

Alright, I understand the sanctions, but is there proof that they are actually going into the business of producing nuclear warheads? Simple yes or no and some evidence to back it up. Anyway, don't the Israeli's have nukes? Iran's just as vulnerable as they are.

Seems to me sanctions are starting to bite,well done to Obama for not jumping the Gun and one in the eye for Netanyahu....

Yes, the sanctions are crushing and grinding the poor and working class. It hasn't had any noticeable effect on the enrichment according to the IAEA. The centrifuges keep spinning day and night. If anything the intransigence of the regime has been intensified. They firmly believe the world is going to allow them to have their "electric capability". An interesting new development - a member of the Majlis has said that if the West doesn't drop the sanctions then they will start enriching to 60% in preparation for their non existent nuclear subs and ships they plan to someday build. So they just keep laughing at the world and the world keeps right on snoozing.

Alright, I understand the sanctions, but is there proof that they are actually going into the business of producing nuclear warheads? Simple yes or no and some evidence to back it up. Anyway, don't the Israeli's have nukes? Iran's just as vulnerable as they are.

They have had many years to perfect a design. The key problems have been fuel - hence the race to enrich uranium, and delivery systems. The last is the most difficult because a warhead has to be miniaturized. The point made is that such work can literally be done in some neighborhood anywhere in the country. The military base where it is believed explosive tests of triggers for a bomb were conducted has been kept off limits, partially demolished with fresh dirt being brought in AND covered with an elaborate system of tarps/shields to keep satellites from snooping. As Netanyahu said - The enrichment sites are the only targets that can slow or delay their bomb.

So it's all mostly postulations? That because they 'had the time' they must've done it? Now I'm taking no sides, I just prefer to know everything before we decide that attacking a sovereign nation who, if they really are doing it for peaceful means, should have the right to look into nuclear research for energy.

• Like 1

Alright, I understand the sanctions, but is there proof that they are actually going into the business of producing nuclear warheads? Simple yes or no and some evidence to back it up.

He can't. He ingnored the post I made of the head of the CIA not long ago stating there is no proof they are pursuing a nuclear weapon.

http://www.nytimes.c...ild-a-bomb.html

Recent assessments by American spy agencies are broadly consistent with a 2007 intelligence finding that concluded that Iran had abandoned its nuclear weapons program years earlier, according to current and former American officials. The officials said that assessment was largely reaffirmed in a 2010 National Intelligence Estimate, and that it remains the consensus view of America’s 16 intelligence agencies.

But nevermind that THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

He can't. He ingnored the post I made of the head of the CIA not long ago stating there is no proof they are pursuing a nuclear weapon.

http://www.nytimes.c...ild-a-bomb.html

Recent assessments by American spy agencies are broadly consistent with a 2007 intelligence finding that concluded that Iran had abandoned its nuclear weapons program years earlier, according to current and former American officials. The officials said that assessment was largely reaffirmed in a 2010 National Intelligence Estimate, and that it remains the consensus view of America’s 16 intelligence agencies.

But nevermind that THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

There really is no need to be either condescending or insulting. We have a different outlook on this issue and maybe it will be decided soon. Frankly, I wish you were right. But I think it's irrational to believe that the government of a country of 80 million people with tremendous oil wealth would risk pariah status over the ability to generate electricity. Maybe you should consider that - if your mind is still open enough.

http://hjoshaghani.b...ce-consume.html

Seems that Iran exports more then it consumes. If you've got something everyone wants, why consume it when you could sell all of it? Nuclear energy would free them from a lot of oil consumption and free up more of it to sell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Iran#Energy.2C_gas.2C_petroleum_and_petrochemicals

Edited by Hasina

http://hjoshaghani.b...ce-consume.html

Seems that Iran exports more then it consumes. If you've got something everyone wants, why consume it when you could sell all of it? Nuclear energy would free them from a lot of oil consumption and free up more of it to sell.

http://en.wikipedia...._petrochemicals

If their rhetoric and actions over the past 3 decades had been different then I might agree with such an assessment. They have proven themselves to be aggressive in the extreme. The fact that they use terror proxies to do their killing does not keep the blood off their hands. I believe the world will be complicit in allowing them their bomb. I mean, it's only Israel they want to destroy, right? But when it happens the world will pay as well.

If their rhetoric and actions over the past 3 decades had been different then I might agree with such an assessment. They have proven themselves to be aggressive in the extreme. The fact that they use terror proxies to do their killing does not keep the blood off their hands. I believe the world will be complicit in allowing them their bomb. I mean, it's only Israel they want to destroy, right? But when it happens the world will pay as well.

Much like when Pakistan and India were totes gonna destroy each other?

There really is no need to be either condescending or insulting. We have a different outlook on this issue and maybe it will be decided soon. Frankly, I wish you were right. But I think it's irrational to believe that the government of a country of 80 million people with tremendous oil wealth would risk pariah status over the ability to generate electricity. Maybe you should consider that - if your mind is still open enough.

You know. I had 3 good paragraphs of relevant facts linked to sources to try to persuade you that you're looking at this the wrong way. Then I deleted the whole thing and posted this instead.

Love. The more you give the more you get.

But this I can't stand. Are you comparing that to the many assasinations of scientists perpetratd by us and Israel? No. Proven themselves to be aggressive in the extreme?????? You say this based on what? How many countries they have forces deployed in? Name the last time Iran invaded a soveriegn nation. Edited by OverSword