Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Polar and Grizzly Bears Mate

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,283 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Spiegel said:

The melting Arctic ice has brought polar bears and grizzly bears together and their hybrid offspring, known as "pizzlies," have been detected on Canadian islands. It is a trend that is happening with other species as well, and scientists are worried because it poses a risk to biodiversity.

The two students from the University of Alberta, flying across the Arctic ice in a helicopter, were startled by what they saw below: a white dot and a brown dot on the ice. The biologists soon realized it was a grizzly bear next to a polar bear. The sighting was on Victoria Island, 500 kilometers (313 miles) from the grizzlies' normal habitat on the Canadian mainland.

The polar bear also struck them as a little strange. It had a dark stripe on its back, its snout looked dirty, its head was noticeably larger than normal, and there was a hump behind its shoulders, which is normally found only on brown bears. The paws looked as if the animal were wearing socks. The students had discovered a strange hybrid that goes by various names: grolar bear, pizzly or Nanulak, a combination of the two Inuit words for the animals' parents: polar bear (Nanuk) and grizzly (Aklak).

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

You know the world is going to end when polar and grizzly bears mate.

Humans are the root cause for most of these things happening, though.

#3    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostMnemonix, on 03 October 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

You know the world is going to end when polar and grizzly bears mate.

Humans are the root cause for most of these things happening, though.

Let's hear from the naysayers on how this is part of some 'natural cycle'?

#4    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 03 October 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

Let's hear from the naysayers on how this is part of some 'natural cycle'?
lmao natural cycle my ass I agree with Mnemonix this is a sign that the world is coming to an end!!

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#5    Winter Summer

Winter Summer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 187 posts

• You're not where you left yourself.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Quote "It is a trend that is happening with other species as well, and scientists are worried because it poses a risk to biodiversity."

A risk to biodiversity?  How?  Now there are three species of bears instead of two.  Biodiversity is expanding.

EVERY grizzly and EVERY polar bear will not seek each other out as mates, but a few have.

Let nature run it's course.

Edited by Winter Summer, 03 October 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Silence often says much more
Than trying to say what's been said before.

#6    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostWinter Summer, on 03 October 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Quote "It is a trend that is happening with other species as well, and scientists are worried because it poses a risk to biodiversity."

A threat to biodiversity?  How?  Now there are three species of bears instead of two.  Biodiversity is expanding.

I agree I mean what's the worst that can happen unless these hybrid bears are weaker than the others I don't see a problem with it.

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#7    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Nah, natural cycle of things.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#8    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

I knew that this has already been happening with wolves and coyotes (producing "Coywolves"). From reading the article, one of the main concerns is that the hybrids could be infertile which means that the parent species (which are already endangered) could be mating multiple times and die without passing on their genes at all.

Edited by sarah_444, 03 October 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#9    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

View Postsarah_444, on 03 October 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

I knew that this has already been happening with wolves and coyotes (producing "Coywolves"). From reading the article, one of the main concerns is that the hybrids could be infertile which means that the parent species (which are already endangered) could be mating multiple times and die without passing on their genes at all.

Oooohhh see I didn't know that, if that's the case then yes it could be a problem

#10    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,521 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

I believe "Redwolves" are the name of the coyote/wolf hybrids in the prairies...

as for polar bears and grizzles interbreeding, they both came from a common ancestor... so I dont see the big surprise.

#11    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,397 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

I heard about this a couple of years ago.  There was a show on TV that showed a bear that someone had killed that looked different.  They found out it was a mix of polar and grizzly.   They are intermixing more to find food than they have in the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users