Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

David Attenborough's "burn in hell" hate mail

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

Sir David Attenborough: 'I get hate mail telling me to burn in hell for not crediting God'

Sir David Attenborough receives hate mail from viewers for not crediting God in his nature programmes.

"They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance," Sir David said during an interview with the Radio Times about his latest documentary on Charles Darwin and natural selection.

This year marks two centuries since Darwin's birth and 150 years since the groundbreaking On the Origin of Species was published.

Telling the magazine that he was also asked why he did not give "credit" to the Lord, Sir David continued: "They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds.

"I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in East Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball.

"The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs.

Read more here: http://www.telegraph...diting-God.html

Edited by Bling, 03 October 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#2    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,336 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

I personally don't believe in evolution but I don't think anyone should be sending him hate mail like this, either...it's shameful.

Posted Image

#3    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

You should see the stuff people write to Ricky Gervaise on twitter. He slams religion quite regularly there.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#4    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 03 October 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

You should see the stuff people write to Ricky Gervaise on twitter. He slams religion quite regularly there.

Yeah Ricky is an atheist and not scared to talk about it....I'm sure he'll burn in hell too :rolleyes:

#5    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

i'm surprised he's surprised he gets hate mail.
not that he's doing anything to be hated for, just that there is always going to be someone who has to hate for whatever reason. he happens to be the reason of the moment i guess
roll with it baby.

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

They shouldn't be sending him hate mail.  Just don't listen to him if you don't like what he has to say.  At least no one has put a hit out on him or tried to burn his house down like some religious people do.

#7    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostGummug, on 03 October 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

I personally don't believe in evolution but I don't think anyone should be sending him hate mail like this, either...it's shameful.
Pardon my French, but how the **** can you deny evolution? It is just as observable as gravity.

#8    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,293 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 03 October 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

I think people just abuse Rick Gervais for being Ricky Gervais.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#9    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

• Mercuræn

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

So do I . . . big whoop :gun:

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#10    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

• Mercuræn

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

View Postbones101proof, on 03 October 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Absolute shame on these hate mail writers. What does god have to do with natural elements of the earth? Yea, people should credit god for the periodic table as well, lol
I'm afraid this is exactly 'what' God actually is . . . the personification of the objective universe, everything that is under the Laws of Physics. This God is most certainly the Natural Elements found on earth.

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#11    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,336 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 03 October 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Pardon my French, but how the **** can you deny evolution? It is just as observable as gravity.
Funny you should ask:

Posted Image

#12    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,336 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

And then there is also this:

Posted Image

#13    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,690 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

I think there are some people who can't handle doubt, so they get angry and lash out.  I also believe that they are the minority, just more interesting than those who don't.  Doubt is an important part of life, faith and also for science.

Peace
mark

#14    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,336 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head there Mark. People have what I call an emotional investment (other people would call it a psychological dependence or even addiction) to their worldview, and anything that challenges that or stirs up their insecurities will likely make them lose their temper and lash out. I know because I used to be one of those people...

Posted Image

#15    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostGummug, on 03 October 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

Funny you should ask:

First of all, that video does not answer anything at all. It is a random individual spouting what one doctor has to say about evolution. Evolution can be tested, observed, and reproduced. Have you ever heard of the evolution of a virus? Mutations occur within its genes, and are passed on to the next "generation" of viruses, hence why it builds immunity to drugs, and new vaccines need to be created in order to innoculate the general public against the viruses.

Secondly, go into the museum of natural history, and you will see how we evolved through varying species over time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users