Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

David Attenborough's "burn in hell" hate mail

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,646 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Those who decide who will go to hell and who won't obviously then believe they are higher up than the thing they worship, judging from the supposed actions of this being, I don't think he will be pleased to hear others trying to do it's job for it. "Only God may judge me" isn't that what they say?

Edited by Orcseeker, 11 October 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#77    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,708 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 04 October 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

Not the Biblical God, unless you're willing to admit he (or his authors) fibbed a bit in genesis.

Depends on how you look at it. I think there's room for both evolution and creation. Creation could even jump start evolution. Creation could take an already evolving organism and push it in a new direction as well. Our scientists are already capable of creating new forms of life. For all we know, humanity could have similar origins.

Edited by WoIverine, 11 October 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#78    Chronoking

Chronoking

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

• "Those who do not understand true pain can never understand true peace." - Nagato Uzamaki

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

It is wrong of these people to send some one hate mail or any form of hatred because they believe in one thing more than another. Thats the kind of thing that pisses me off.

#79    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,574 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostGummug, on 10 October 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

I thought that was what evolution was...animals turning into other animals...over billions of years of course.
That's not what your video says. And no, populations evolve, change, gain/lose traits.

#80    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,112 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

View PostGummug, on 10 October 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

I thought that was what evolution was...animals turning into other animals...over billions of years of course.

Thats the issue, some people think it`s magic.  Magic or as it`s better known as, is called trickery. Religion owns the market when it comes to magic.  Billions fooled every year as it must be due the secret sauce.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#81    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,112 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

As far as Sir David goes he states people that believe in creationism only see the beauty and not the brutality of a so called gods creation.  Talk about never seeing the other side of a coin.

Edited by The Silver Thong, 12 October 2012 - 03:09 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#82    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostGummug, on 10 October 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

Well, this is the most compelling post I have seen so far to support evolution, and the most objectively (read: ad-hominem-less) given, and I will need to look into it better. It makes me wonder if the donkey was originally from horse stock because as probably everyone knows a donkey and a horse can interbreed, but the offspring, a mule, is sterile. Still, the fly, although a different species, is still a fly, and the flower is still a flower...the fly didn't become a dragon fly nor did the flower become a cactus. However, this is at least worthy of serious thought.

Cacti have flowers. They are flowering plants.

As for flies and dragonflies. As is often the case, but invariably conveniently forgotten, flies and dragonflies came from a common ancestor. But over time as this CA spread out, and populations started looking for different niches to occupy that would reduce competition, some, like dragons, would look to water, live near water, and over time would lay their eggs closer and closer to the water until the first part of their life history is aquatic, and we're not talking one dragonfly thinking "oh this year I'll just lay my eggs a foot closer to the pond", this is occurring over generation upon generation, probably laying eggs in flood-prone spots until those that are more tollerant of being inundated survive, reproducing with likewise individuals, being pushed down that path by the environment they inhabit until dragonfly nymphs become fully aquatic. Evolution is NOT linear, nor is it concious. Indeed evolution is not the change to a stimulus, but a change BY a stimulus. In this the death of less able individuals is a very important factor. It's complex, but it's not some improbable, magic phenomenon. To me many people who try to discredit evolution just don't want the hassle of challenging themselves to be comfortable with something complex, so it's easier to just say "oh, God did it". Of course then you have to be comfortable with a super-powerful being who poses as some benevolent force, but has created some of the most horrid things, afflictions, incidents, and then requires it's "children" to be spiritual slaves to it.

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 12 October 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

As far as Sir David goes he states people that believe in creationism only see the beauty and not the brutality of a so called gods creation.  Talk about never seeing the other side of a coin.

Exactly! Like parasitic organisms, lionesses giving their cubs a live baby antelope to "play with" and learn hunting skills, that harrowing video of the orcas ganging up on a baby right whale (think it was a right? maybe hump back?) only to eat the jaw and waste the rest while the mother looks on helpless. Why would a God allow nature to be so cruel? Because nature IS cruel! Nature is nasty, and any associations with ultimate beauty are merely coincidence, and only an interpretation made by us; the only animal that can perhaps rationalise things as something more than threat, friend or food. Butterflies are not beautiful because they want to be. It's because brightly-coloured patterns are an effective warning to both colour-vision animals like birds who can distinguish the colours, and colour-blind animals like most mammals who can distinguish the pattern. I absolutely love nate, and I do indeed view it as a beautiful thing, but I'm well aware of the other side of it (have you ever seen skuas taking baby plover chicks? or a fox going for a wee teal? It's heartbreaking, but these animals NEED to do this). Nature has my utmost respect! :blink:

Edited by Urisk, 12 October 2012 - 12:36 PM.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#83    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,645 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 09 October 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Yes, it absolutely is. That statement is quite false. I will direct you to this observation of the reproduction of E. Coli bacteria...

Taken directly from the paper...

source: http://news.msu.edu/...5acae041269.pdf

Actually, after giving it a bit of thought, evolution is arguably more observable than gravity. What we see is the result of gravity, we don't see the actual physical manifestation of the forces involved in gravity. When we throw something, we know it will fall... because of gravity. However, we do not actually see the physical forces pulling the object towards earth. In a lab, we can observe absolutely every physical attribute of evolution. As for gravity? All we see are the results of the forces, not the actual forces themselves.

It's not really faith when the information provided is reinforced with evidence that can be reproduced, my friend. Faith encompasses a belief independent of evidence, which contradicts a scientific theory/law.

You don't see gravity occurring, either - you see the result of gravity's force, but not the actual force in itself as it pulls on the object.

I can understand your pov esp as a scientost and it mus tbe very frustrating tha tothers cant see it but just as a feather falling is not an observation of gravity  the change in an  E coli bactria is not an observation of evolution UNLESS you already know it is and understand the processes occuring. My original point was that you can not deduce or understand evolution via observation And it is not fair to say that people who cant see evolution at work in the world around them are stupid Even today most peole acept the works of science by faith, not by knowledge or understanding As a modern person and especially as a cientist it may be hard to get into the mond of a perosn form the past or one not trained in science but it requires a an accumulation of learned knowledge to se the things which you take for granted when you observe the world.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users