Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is your life completely meaningless?

meaning and purpose in life

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,567 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

Have read a few statements here lately that have given me the impression that a few of us here are suffering from lack of meaning in life, or purpose.. Perhaps this will be a good thread to share these things? And perhaps find solutions or inspiration to get out of such ruts..  So..........

Do you feel that life is meaningless? If so, please tell us why..

Is your life full of purpose and meaning?     If so, tell us how it feels and how you came to find it..

If you think you have a solution to the rut someone is in, please post it..

#2    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,567 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

View Postbones101proof, on 04 October 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

Depends on what one's definition of "meaning" is.
Without purpose.. hollow.. empty..

#3    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,389 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

“Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it”

― Siddhārtha Gautama

#4    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

i would say you just choose wat ur purpose is. alot of people get caught up in "finding" it when all you have to do is "make it".

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#5    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,413 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

I have a solution for some of these situations and it is very straight forward...

Spend less time alone.

I think what people need to do to stop them feeling 'meaningless' is to try and be the opposite, become needed. If people need you, require you or want you around those 'meaningless' feelings will not be there.

Feeling 'meaningless' will then be replace by thoughts like 'bloody hell people leave me alone, there are only so many days in a week!!!!'

Edited by Junior Chubb, 04 October 2012 - 08:31 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#6    Melo -

Melo -

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• ...more dangerous than any weapon is a face of evil, with a mask of good intention.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

I have alot of friends and for the most part all they see is a very happy part me that i know inside is purely fabricated. some women take to me and after we make love i look at the ceiling and feel an emptines...no pun intended.my real outlook on life is so bland and dreary that i constantly feel like an empty vessel...like a form that was made through the collision of sediments only moving because of the constantly flailing meanlinglessness that birthed me as if it were sad itself.i feel most lonely when im surrounded by friends poor b******* lol and ill always notice a clock when the shots are gone and a pendulum always turning

I would really enjoy a relatable conversation from anyone who feels this way.

Smiley face...

more dangerous than any weapon is a face of evil, with a mask of good intention...

#7    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

My purpose of life is simple it is just to live it.

#8    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

I read a good argument that it is possible that our core purpose is to carry and pass on DNA. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

#9    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,650 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

My recent status update says, "We don't honor life, life honors us." Maybe we're too ego centered, expecting our life to be fulfilled by some 'meaning' that stokes our own personal sense of ourselves. In other words, when things aren't going the way we want it to we may feel life is meaningless for us.

I suppose that would be one definition of meaningless.

Maybe if we just relaxed a little and looked around us we would discover some unexpected meaning we had previously overlooked.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#10    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,574 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

No, my life is not completely meaningless. And no one else's is either.
We are creators. We are powerful.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#11    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,574 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I think out total purpose is to expereince everything, to put that experience into perspective, and to access knowledge.

View PostNeognosis, on 04 October 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

I read a good argument that it is possible that our core purpose is to carry and pass on DNA. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#12    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,890 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Well, life is meaningless... We exist within a universe devoid of attachment to us. We're a fleeting thought in the back of some galactic mind. Our true value cannot be measured because of human fallibility, nor can we ever find true peace in this world because of ego. The only way to deal with an unfree world is to be so absolutely free that your existence becomes revolt in itself - roughly paraphrased. I view my life as meaningless, so I understand there are really only two options..
  • Continue living in this world devoid of meaning.
  • Kill myself.
As Camus said, in the end it takes more courage to live than to kill oneself.. So it is inherently up to us what we want to do.. Meaninglessness does not provoke absurdity, but perhaps it is absurd that life is meaningless. Perhaps our relationship to the cosmos is absurd, or not fully explored.. Or maybe we don't need to know, because we already know.. Maybe it is just as simple as others said: reproduction. We're all organisms with instincts not yet killed off by organized civilization. We all are cognitive, yes but that is the only aspect that sets us apart from other creatures on this planet.. But with ego comes overvalue. We place so much value on ourselves, yet fail to recognize the lack of value in life...

Once we recognize the lack of value in life, or the lack of value in ourselves, it is up to us to resist and to rebel by creating our own value - the only true value in life. When we assign value to things I believe the true potential for value brought upon by an individual is diminished. So we must resist ourselves when assuming.. Instead we should have careful consideration and mindfulness when we create value that was not there before, lest we lose sight of ourselves entirely..

It is a bit paradoxical to say that we create our value, but to also say that by assigning value to things, that value loses its value.

So in the end, those two statements negate themselves.. The only viable train of thought is that there is no value.

It's only an illusion, just like our meaning.. However, to have a sound mind, we must conjure metaphysical rebellion..

It is the only way to keep sanity in an absurd universe.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#13    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Nope, mines totally the best life. I find an adventure every day, the ups and downs of emotions, the experiences I have with people, even the mundanity of work makes the more exciting parts all the more awesome. I love my life, the good and the bad.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#14    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,567 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

I've read stories about people who bounce out of bed every morning and love what they do and anjoy every waken moment of their lives.. These people radiate happiness, joy, love. They are full of energy, and live life to it's fullest.. They do so because they have discovered their purpose in life, and that purpose gives meaning to their lives.. They have discovered or found or chosen a deep passion that they enjoy, and from that they gain strength and meaning.. This purpose or passion drives them forward, they inspire people around them..

*sighs* me... I stumble out of bed, trip on a shoe, headbut the wall, and moan the rest of the day with a headache. My meaning in life is to look after a loved one who is very old. When he goes, I'll have no meaning, and that imo is not a good thing.. I think we all need purpose, something that isn't material or ego driven. A passion that can drive us.

Edited by Professor T, 04 October 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#15    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

The meaning of my life is to keep my fiance wanting to live his life....and in turn, his life is to give me reason to live. We are each others saviours and we found each other just at the right time :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users