Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is your life completely meaningless?

meaning and purpose in life

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Do you feel that life is meaningless? If so, please tell us why..

Absolutely. I think we tend to get too involved in life itself..to the point of being egocentric. We (collectively speaking) tend to think that there is this special little package just for us and we search and search, doing this and that thinking that we will somehow be worthy or whatever the current catch-phrase. It is nice to do stuff for others and make the trek through life a tad more bearable but in the end it doesn't matter who does the task nor does it really matter whom it is for just so long as the need is met.

We get so wrapped up in our artificial identities that we forget there is no real "us" but merely a multitude of personalities we are forced to exhibit depending on the situation.

Anyways...I gave up trying to find this so-called "meaning" and simply endure the last two decades or so of my life.

#17    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,506 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Perhaps feeling life has a meaning is a psychological state of mind and not a philosophical or spiritual question.

Maybe those who jump out of beds and those who bump their heads do so because some are just generally happy and some are just generally depressed. A person who is mentally wel-balanced and mentally healthy may search for some Cosmic Meaning, but during the search that person may actually be satisfied with their life, and not worry too much about some fundamental reason to go on.

When we find life meaningless and just endure it, I think that is a sign of psychological ill-health, and not a result of our not discovering some hidden value to their lives.

I think our true nature is happiness and confidence in ourselves, in our lives and in our environment. It is easy to loose our basic child-like nature. When we ignore our original spirit life becomes dim.

As adults, we can misplace our enthusiasm for living, but that enthusiasm still exists within us. When we put aside our learned burdens, we may discover an unexpected significance exposed within every moment.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#18    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

Maybe a large part of the problem is insinuating that we must see life as meaningful and if we don't then we must therefore have a problem.

#19    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

When people think of life, their lives, and their purpose for living, all to often they find themselves defining their lives on material things such as how much money they have in the bank, how many friends they have, how exciting their sex lives are... All these are things that are imposed on us by society, and are not in many cases the true passion of an individual.. People are told what to be.. And all to often they forget who they want to be.

To have a great career? Is that what anyone wants? We're all going to retire one day..
To have riches beyond others? Will that really make one happy? The rich live under lock and key & fear these days..
To love and be loved? fine, but what do you see beyond that when loved ones find love elsewhere or move on?
To have a great sex life? Well, it helps, but these are only short term pleasures.

I've spent thousands of dollars on hobbies that now collect dust to try and find that passion to give life meaning, as I am sure many of us have.. These things don't give meaning, they are not rooted in love, they are just things..

#20    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

.. i  look at it this way,   existence/life is it's own meaning.     I'm usually content just to  BE    :)

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#21    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

View Postlightly, on 05 October 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

.. i look at it this way, existence/life is it's own meaning. I'm usually content just to BE :)
So are you happy with life? or just content?
Is your life full of purpose and meaning? If so, tell us how it feels and how you came to find it..

#22    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

I think its stupid to search for the meaning of life.  Because life has no correct "answer".  Its not "oh GUYS. I just found the meaning of life!"

One will only be truly happy when they stop looking for something and be content what with they have. The more you look the more you realize what you don't have and the more you strive for the impossible. Life inherently has no meaning other then what we attach to it. However it does not make the meaning we create any less important.

People don't need a meaning of life. People need a purpose. Not a goal to accomplish but something people can do everyday and be happy. In an office or as a construction worker.

I personally accepted life has no meaning and am content with that. Goals and meanings are stupid. They limit you from experiencing life and your always reaching towards a seemingly impossible idea. Most of my closest friend have severe depression. And I really like making life bearable for other people. I like making people smile and just making the sad people happy.  I just like to spread cheer.  Despite the fact I'm probably clinically depressed around depressed people for some reason I light up and become happier. Its just what I do. Its not a goal. Just a fact about myself I can use to be happy myself and help other people.

So yea. Life is meaningless. But who cares?

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#23    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 4,219 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

People are all different. It would be a God-awful boring place if we were not. Where one person finds contentment, another person living the same life would be bored witless. I think it comes down to giving expression to what talents and abilities are latent in you. Unexpressed psychic content creates discontent. Above all, the inability to express self-less love, for whatever reason, causes the greatest discontent.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
- Gospel of Thomas, verse 70.

#24    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am not always happy with my life, but I don't think anyone is most of the time.

However, I consider my life to be full of pupose and meaning. I simply know it is. Even if I haven't discovered completely what this purpose is (or at all lol). Until I do however, I will try to be as good as I can. Give the best of me to make people laugh, feel loved, and protect them. And not just to people, but everything that surrounds me.

I think this is everyone's purpose. I don't think I have any special talent and the only thing I feel I can offer is my unconditional love to all the beings.

I am not always happy with my life, but I don't think anyone is most of the time.

However, I consider my life to be full of pupose and meaning. I simply know it is. Even if I haven't discovered completely what this purpose is (or at all lol). Until I do however, I will try to be as good as I can. Give the best of me to make people laugh, feel loved, and protect them. And not just to people, but everything that surrounds me.

I think this is everyone's purpose. I don't think I have any special talent and the only thing I feel I can offer is my unconditional love to all the beings.

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#25    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think it all comes down to purpose, because purpose brings meaning into life..
There's some great responses here. But a lot of confustion by the term "Meaning to life"
Purpose gives meaning.. And to have purpose in life I believe is a philosophical or spiritual state of being. Something that can be different for every person, but something that is very close to the heart of every person.. Society, the Media, the Corporations and their advertising keep telling us what that purpose should be.. But that is what they want.. Not what you or I want.. I quess reviving ones true purpose it is a matter of searching within one's self for that spark of true passion and bringing it and yourself back to a life with meaning.. I for one do not want to just be content with the way things are, or just be, or just see the world as a tragic mistake I have to endure till death releases, lol.. Finding pleasure in making other lives better though laughter and companionship, to me anyway, seems like a nice thing, but only medicine to endure a life without purpose.

#26    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

Well I had made a thread a while ago about that what I believe to be most likely result after death, nothing. So if nothing comes after death essentially everything you do in this life means nothing when you're gone and everything alive it affected.

But the thing that makes us human is the ability to theorise outcomes like these and pose questions like this about our existence. Most importantly is to continue in life regardless of the hopelessness of situations. As I am alive I do have a purpose and meaning, what happens afterwards is not known.

Though to consider the concept of life and death as the ultimate fairness, no matter how long you lived, what you experienced, what you've done etc is completely void in the end. Everyone starts and finishes on the same level.

But to others, the thought of an afterlife gives their life definite meaning. Because they are judged on what they do an must live their life as such.

Some may be questioning myself now, because I believe that most likely there is nothing after death I may act immorally and such? No. Regardless if there is an afterlife or not, the most important thing I believe is to live as yourself. As long as that doesn't affect other people in a big negative way. I don't fight people or get violent or undergo cruel acts to living things. I am not promiscuous, I am 20 and remain a virgin as well as quite void of any sexual activities even given the chances I had. I treat others who respect themselves with respect.

My ultimate goal in life is to become the richest man in the world, buyout all the other greedy billionaires and distribute 99.99% of my wealth to those who need it and ensure the money is used effectively. Though that is incredibly unlikely haha.

I do have a few other important purposes in my life. The last thing I want to do is, is fail myself. If I do that I fail all those who rely on me.

I have noticed some people who idolise others who stand against a lot that person believes in. As some of you have mentioned previously it is due to the media. I want to make a difference there too, to allow people to think for themselves. To know that most of the time they don't know what they want so they look at what "everyone else" wants which what the media portrays is very core to this.

#27    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

Depends on the context, doesn't it? In the context of the universe, the cosmos, my life probably has little, if any meaning. But, you know, I don't live out there in the cosmos, I live right here on my street, in my town, in my community. In context of family & friends, my life has a lot of meaning, especially to me. And I think to my kids, because I'm their rock, and to my grandkids, because I love them unconditionally. My friends, because I love & support them, my community because I contribute to making it a good, safe place to live. My mind gets bogged down when I try to deal with a much larger picture, but I do real well with what's right here and what's immediate and who needs my love & support.

#28    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostBeany, on 06 October 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

Depends on the context, doesn't it? In the context of the universe, the cosmos, my life probably has little, if any meaning. But, you know, I don't live out there in the cosmos, I live right here on my street, in my town, in my community. In context of family & friends, my life has a lot of meaning, especially to me. And I think to my kids, because I'm their rock, and to my grandkids, because I love them unconditionally. My friends, because I love & support them, my community because I contribute to making it a good, safe place to live. My mind gets bogged down when I try to deal with a much larger picture, but I do real well with what's right here and what's immediate and who needs my love & support.

The context of purpose and meaning is from your self.. (see the flow)

Self purpose and meaning does not come from, universe, cosmos, town, neighnors or family into you.
←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←←

Self Purpose & Meaning flows out and into family, neighbours, town, cosmos, universe.
→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→

At least that's how I'm starting to see it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users