Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there a savant inside all of us?

Still Waters

Savants have almost super-human abilities in art, music or memory – and not all are born that way. But is severe head trauma the only way to become a ‘sudden savant’?

http://www.telegraph...-all-of-us.html

• Like 2

This should be interesting. I really enjoy these kinds of topics, very fascinating :tu:

If only there was some way to access these abilities.

Edited by Mnemonix

It's tempting to see if a knock to the head would improve my art skills...

One can only hope. :-P

There was a guy on australias got talent who was from the out back and as a kid he just kept hitting piano keys and gradually learnt to play the piano. He can dish out amazing music completely spontaniously. I think through a desire to play piano, a bit of meditation to quite the ego (less selfconscious) and focus on the creative task we can unlock these abilities to some extent. I also think that the article undermines the power of the brain. These abilities aren't caused by memories stored in our genes but by the unresticted instantanious expression of the mind.

• Like 2

I, uhhh... could use a few more talents.

But being struck by lighting seems dangerous. Maybe some doctor-supervised shock therapy. :passifier:

• Like 1

There was a guy on australias got talent who was from the out back and as a kid he just kept hitting piano keys and gradually learnt to play the piano. He can dish out amazing music completely spontaniously. I think through a desire to play piano, a bit of meditation to quite the ego (less selfconscious) and focus on the creative task we can unlock these abilities to some extent. I also think that the article undermines the power of the brain. These abilities aren't caused by memories stored in our genes but by the unresticted instantanious expression of the mind.

I think you've nailed it. Ditch ego-self-consiousness and all will follow.

May the force be with you.

I hit the top of my head real hard getting out of the car a couple days ago, but alas, no new artistic talents or anything like that.

So these people are super human or can perform super human fete?

Lets see now...the only "amazing" thing I can do well is play video games....does that count?

I believe that there is alot in each of us. Everyone has potential but not many will try to unlock their full abilities. It's too much work when most just go about life without even knowing what is possible. I'm going to spend my entire life building upon what I already am.