Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Spectacular hummingbirds (video)

hummingbirds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,880 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

In Panama, Chris Packham witnesses an enchanting display by a variety of species of hummingbird.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngbird#p00trl3y

Nice :) We don't have them here.

Posted Image

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

i want one as a pet

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

They're very beautiful creatures. Of course not all of nature is nice and pretty, but it's nice to look at the aspects that are :)

#4    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

That's lovely!

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,749 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

We certainly have them here, SW. My aunt has always had feeders and always attracts them. They are very territorial lil critters! I have watched them fight with bumble bees over the feeders. When we had our bottlebrush trees, we'd see them all the time. Now the trees are gone and so are the hummers. :(

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,880 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 04 October 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

We certainly have them here, SW. My aunt has always had feeders and always attracts them. They are very territorial lil critters! I have watched them fight with bumble bees over the feeders. When we had our bottlebrush trees, we'd see them all the time. Now the trees are gone and so are the hummers. :(
That's a shame they've gone from you. A friend has them and he puts out feeders for them and takes photos, then sends the photos to me because he knows I like them. He linked me to a webcam last year of a nest with an egg in it. Hummingbirds look so delicate and the ones I've seen have very pretty colours. It would be nice to have them in this country.

Posted Image

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

There are other things you can plant to attract them . They are on your migration trajectory .
I have a url somewhere. Hold on

La~
http://www.hummingbi...et/attract.html

http://landscaping.a...ummingbirds.htm

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 06 October 2012 - 10:36 PM.

Miss me?

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I love the hummingbirds, I keep two or three feeders out in the summertime.  I have them hanging in a tree close to my front window so I can watch them.  They have been gone for about a week now and I miss them but I don't miss the massive amounts of sugar I was going through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users