Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Paying to get to the front of the line

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

In the US, as elsewhere, it is becoming more common to see queues where one can pay to get to the front. It brings the market to the experience of waiting in line - but some say it conflicts with the principles of fairness and equality.
Up until recently, the "serpentine" queue was the norm in America - and businesses were proud to implement them.
"There used to be a bank in New York called Chemical Bank and they used to claim that they were the first ones to have that in their bank lobbies," says Richard Larson, a queuing theorist at MIT. "Wendy's is very proud that they were the first ones in fast food to have the single serpentine line."
The model works because most members of society agree the person who's been waiting longest should be served next, he says.
But today, many Americans are waiting in a new kind of queue - the priority queue, where certain customers get higher priority because they pay.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19712847
How do you feel about this practice?? Do you think it will become more commonplace?

Edited by jugoso, 04 October 2012 - 06:02 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,235 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

I can tell you it would make me go elsewhere.

I'm sure it is inevitable, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will flash their money to be first.

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,229 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

You have the money you get the service, you don't have the money you get the service but it costs you time.
Sounds wonderfully American. I'm sure we'll be adopting it in Australia shortly <_<
I can't wait for the inevitable "they have more money, so they get served before you!" arguments.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#4    Andami

Andami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

"I'll gladly pay you today for a hamburger Tuesday."

Seems like this model would backfire and lines wouldn't decrease at all. Possibly, they could become worse.

Edited by Andami, 04 October 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,995 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

This isn't fair, its economics.  You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

#6    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

More power to them! If their dumb enough to pay extra for the same service that's their right. It's like those people who buy the high-end gas sucking sports car to drive 5 miles to work.

More money than brains and may be over compensation for other "short" comings.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#7    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

I was at the DMV one day - take a number....and I couldnt help but wonder - how much would someone pay for my number? Could somebody just hang out there all day getting numbers and selling them, and how much would they make?

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#8    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,626 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostThe Mule, on 05 October 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

I was at the DMV one day - take a number....and I couldnt help but wonder - how much would someone pay for my number? Could somebody just hang out there all day getting numbers and selling them, and how much would they make?
This is a common practice here in Mexico. Because the line ups for many administrative things are so long, you have people who make their living by standing in line for you. They don´t make much , but hey mimimum wage here is about 5 bucks a day!

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#9    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,296 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

View Postjugoso, on 04 October 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

In the US, as elsewhere, it is becoming more common to see queues where one can pay to get to the front. It brings the market to the experience of waiting in line - but some say it conflicts with the principles of fairness and equality.
Up until recently, the "serpentine" queue was the norm in America - and businesses were proud to implement them.
"There used to be a bank in New York called Chemical Bank and they used to claim that they were the first ones to have that in their bank lobbies," says Richard Larson, a queuing theorist at MIT. "Wendy's is very proud that they were the first ones in fast food to have the single serpentine line."
The model works because most members of society agree the person who's been waiting longest should be served next, he says.
But today, many Americans are waiting in a new kind of queue - the priority queue, where certain customers get higher priority because they pay.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19712847
How do you feel about this practice?? Do you think it will become more commonplace?

Technically, if you don't have the money to get to the front of the line, you might not ever get served. If the place is busy and everyone else has the money to get bumped up, you would always be at the end of the line........yeah, that's fair...... :huh:

Edited by Euphorbia, 05 October 2012 - 01:04 AM.

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#10    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

I'd say the places that do this a lot would just lose the "average" customer.  Perhaps that is ok with them and then their services would just be available to the highest bidder.  Seems like a self defeating strategy to me.  People bid higher and higher to get served first and eventually there is going to be very few people coming through the door.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#11    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,192 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

I live in America and have not seen this anywhere.  also in the USA we don't stand in queues we stand in line.

View PostWearer of Hats, on 04 October 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

You have the money you get the service, you don't have the money you get the service but it costs you time.
Sounds wonderfully American. I'm sure we'll be adopting it in Australia shortly <_<
I can't wait for the inevitable "they have more money, so they get served before you!" arguments.
LOL!  Move to America, I know several Australians and they all dread going back to visit thier families every other year.  That's right people America is heaven and you live in hell.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users