Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paying to get to the front of the line

jugoso

In the US, as elsewhere, it is becoming more common to see queues where one can pay to get to the front. It brings the market to the experience of waiting in line - but some say it conflicts with the principles of fairness and equality.

Up until recently, the "serpentine" queue was the norm in America - and businesses were proud to implement them.

"There used to be a bank in New York called Chemical Bank and they used to claim that they were the first ones to have that in their bank lobbies," says Richard Larson, a queuing theorist at MIT. "Wendy's is very proud that they were the first ones in fast food to have the single serpentine line."

The model works because most members of society agree the person who's been waiting longest should be served next, he says.

But today, many Americans are waiting in a new kind of queue - the priority queue, where certain customers get higher priority because they pay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19712847

How do you feel about this practice?? Do you think it will become more commonplace?

Edited by jugoso

I can tell you it would make me go elsewhere.

I'm sure it is inevitable, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will flash their money to be first.

You have the money you get the service, you don't have the money you get the service but it costs you time.

Sounds wonderfully American. I'm sure we'll be adopting it in Australia shortly <_<

I can't wait for the inevitable "they have more money, so they get served before you!" arguments.

"I'll gladly pay you today for a hamburger Tuesday."

Seems like this model would backfire and lines wouldn't decrease at all. Possibly, they could become worse.

Edited by Andami
  • Like 1

This isn't fair, its economics. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

• Like 1

More power to them! If their dumb enough to pay extra for the same service that's their right. It's like those people who buy the high-end gas sucking sports car to drive 5 miles to work.

More money than brains and may be over compensation for other "short" comings.

I was at the DMV one day - take a number....and I couldnt help but wonder - how much would someone pay for my number? Could somebody just hang out there all day getting numbers and selling them, and how much would they make?

• Like 1

I was at the DMV one day - take a number....and I couldnt help but wonder - how much would someone pay for my number? Could somebody just hang out there all day getting numbers and selling them, and how much would they make?

This is a common practice here in Mexico. Because the line ups for many administrative things are so long, you have people who make their living by standing in line for you. They don´t make much , but hey mimimum wage here is about 5 bucks a day!

In the US, as elsewhere, it is becoming more common to see queues where one can pay to get to the front. It brings the market to the experience of waiting in line - but some say it conflicts with the principles of fairness and equality.

Up until recently, the "serpentine" queue was the norm in America - and businesses were proud to implement them.

"There used to be a bank in New York called Chemical Bank and they used to claim that they were the first ones to have that in their bank lobbies," says Richard Larson, a queuing theorist at MIT. "Wendy's is very proud that they were the first ones in fast food to have the single serpentine line."

The model works because most members of society agree the person who's been waiting longest should be served next, he says.

But today, many Americans are waiting in a new kind of queue - the priority queue, where certain customers get higher priority because they pay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19712847

How do you feel about this practice?? Do you think it will become more commonplace?

Technically, if you don't have the money to get to the front of the line, you might not ever get served. If the place is busy and everyone else has the money to get bumped up, you would always be at the end of the line........yeah, that's fair...... :huh:

Edited by Euphorbia

I'd say the places that do this a lot would just lose the "average" customer. Perhaps that is ok with them and then their services would just be available to the highest bidder. Seems like a self defeating strategy to me. People bid higher and higher to get served first and eventually there is going to be very few people coming through the door.

I live in America and have not seen this anywhere. also in the USA we don't stand in queues we stand in line.

You have the money you get the service, you don't have the money you get the service but it costs you time.

Sounds wonderfully American. I'm sure we'll be adopting it in Australia shortly <_<

I can't wait for the inevitable "they have more money, so they get served before you!" arguments.

LOL! Move to America, I know several Australians and they all dread going back to visit thier families every other year. That's right people America is heaven and you live in hell.