Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant Bat Found In Peru

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    Zalanox

Zalanox

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

It looks cool until you look at how it layers with the tree trunks. It's a flying fox right in front of the camera and the guys are about ten feet away. It just makes it look huge at first glance.

#17    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

It is a flying fox. Certain cultures use them as food,and the wing leather for clothing. Yeh....I know,but what can ya do .
This is not an uncommon sight in various tropical countries ,at all .

Miss me?

#18    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Forced perspective for $200 Alex.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#19    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

O_o i think if there were any bats with 4-5 foot wingspans here in Oz, Rex Gilroy would've released three dozen books on 'em by now (and each more interesting than the last) ..i'll keep my eyes open though. :tu:

they tend to 'poop' when they take off outta the trees here at night.. last thing i need is to be crapped on by one of these guys

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#20    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 3,653 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostEmin, on 04 October 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

LOL! Is it me or does that dead giant bat have a big ol cigar in it's mouth? :tsu: Tough till the very end, eh. Idk but the bat looks real enough to me, freakyy. :unsure2:  Waaaiit......may have spoken too soon, somethin about those wingz.......they look funny on the close photo like you can see a wooden frame along the back of the wings very unnatural looking. Oh, wait mule already said it was hoax didn see that lol. ok its hoax.

that's funny. I would point out the ribbing in the wing as something that makes it look like a real creature.

There are no such things as Lenticular clouds, only UFO's in disguise

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#21    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

Nothing special. The angle of the camera just makes it look bigger than it is. Not to mention, this wasn't taken in Peru; that's entirely fabricated. And frankly, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the body itself were fabricated as well.

Edited by Arbitran, 07 October 2012 - 01:17 AM.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#22    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 3,653 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

why would they need to fabricate it when the species exists?

There are no such things as Lenticular clouds, only UFO's in disguise

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#23    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 07 October 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

What species?

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#24    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,606 posts

• Question everything

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

It's Shishi, the giant bat that hates anything sour:

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#25    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

'Chinese Troops & 10,000 Armored Vehicles Confirmed in Texas - Armed Chinese Troops In Texas Copying The U.S. Model'. The site says it all really

#26    Wyverna

Wyverna

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

• "No, I'm not a dragon slayer. I'm a dragon SAVIOR. See the difference?"

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Probably just persepctive, distance, and angling of the camera as others have said that make it look so huge.

Still, I think a large bat could account for some sightings of some cryptids.

Posted Image

“But it is one thing to read about dragons and another to meet them.”
--Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea

#27    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

I think flying foxes are adorable.  I hate to see it dead but I understand a lot of cultures eat bats.  I hope they eat that one, I hope they didn't kill it just to fake a picture... And it is fake... It's all a matter of perspective.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#28    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,300 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 07 October 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

That picture indicates a wingspan of like 6 meters. Flying foxes don't get much over 2 and 1/2.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#29    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 10 October 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

That picture indicates a wingspan of like 6 meters. Flying foxes don't get much over 2 and 1/2.

It certainly hasn't a wingspan of 6 meters; look at the next pic:

Giant_bat_Philippines2.jpg

They stuck a cigarette in its mouth.

#30    JoeyLuisLeel

JoeyLuisLeel

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

i dont know if anyone posted this yet but has anyone noticed the rambo knife at the very top? if so sorry i just saw it. that means the bat  is only like 2 feet and close to the camera

Edited by joeyluislopez, 13 October 2012 - 06:52 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users