Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant Bat Found In Peru

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    Zalanox

Zalanox

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

It looks cool until you look at how it layers with the tree trunks. It's a flying fox right in front of the camera and the guys are about ten feet away. It just makes it look huge at first glance.

#17    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

It is a flying fox. Certain cultures use them as food,and the wing leather for clothing. Yeh....I know,but what can ya do .
This is not an uncommon sight in various tropical countries ,at all .

Miss me?

#18    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,549 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Forced perspective for $200 Alex.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#19    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

O_o i think if there were any bats with 4-5 foot wingspans here in Oz, Rex Gilroy would've released three dozen books on 'em by now (and each more interesting than the last) ..i'll keep my eyes open though. :tu:

they tend to 'poop' when they take off outta the trees here at night.. last thing i need is to be crapped on by one of these guys

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#20    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

... And, the Right Jack

• 2,836 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostEmin, on 04 October 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

LOL! Is it me or does that dead giant bat have a big ol cigar in it's mouth? :tsu: Tough till the very end, eh. Idk but the bat looks real enough to me, freakyy. :unsure2:  Waaaiit......may have spoken too soon, somethin about those wingz.......they look funny on the close photo like you can see a wooden frame along the back of the wings very unnatural looking. Oh, wait mule already said it was hoax didn see that lol. ok its hoax.

that's funny. I would point out the ribbing in the wing as something that makes it look like a real creature.

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#21    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

Nothing special. The angle of the camera just makes it look bigger than it is. Not to mention, this wasn't taken in Peru; that's entirely fabricated. And frankly, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the body itself were fabricated as well.

Edited by Arbitran, 07 October 2012 - 01:17 AM.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#22    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

... And, the Right Jack

• 2,836 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

why would they need to fabricate it when the species exists?

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#23    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 07 October 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

What species?

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#24    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,213 posts

• Question everything

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

It's Shishi, the giant bat that hates anything sour:

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#25    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,172 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

'Chinese Troops & 10,000 Armored Vehicles Confirmed in Texas - Armed Chinese Troops In Texas Copying The U.S. Model'. The site says it all really

#26    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Probably just persepctive, distance, and angling of the camera as others have said that make it look so huge.

Still, I think a large bat could account for some sightings of some cryptids.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#27    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

I think flying foxes are adorable.  I hate to see it dead but I understand a lot of cultures eat bats.  I hope they eat that one, I hope they didn't kill it just to fake a picture... And it is fake... It's all a matter of perspective.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#28    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,095 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 07 October 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

That picture indicates a wingspan of like 6 meters. Flying foxes don't get much over 2 and 1/2.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#29    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,108 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 10 October 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

That picture indicates a wingspan of like 6 meters. Flying foxes don't get much over 2 and 1/2.

It certainly hasn't a wingspan of 6 meters; look at the next pic:

Attached File  Giant_bat_Philippines2.jpg   18.69K   19 downloads

They stuck a cigarette in its mouth.

#30    JoeyLuisLeel

JoeyLuisLeel

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

i dont know if anyone posted this yet but has anyone noticed the rambo knife at the very top? if so sorry i just saw it. that means the bat  is only like 2 feet and close to the camera

Edited by joeyluislopez, 13 October 2012 - 06:52 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users