Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Beleive It Or Not, A Sceptic Is Someone Who:

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#31    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm getting less a "skepticism is weakening" vibe and more a "people aren't agreeing with me" vibe. It doesn't matter if a theory is from the mainstream or some guy who wears a cat for a hat, skepticism can correctly be applied to both.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#32    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostCorp, on 05 October 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

I'm getting less a "skepticism is weakening" vibe and more a "people aren't agreeing with me" vibe. It doesn't matter if a theory is from the mainstream or some guy who wears a cat for a hat, skepticism can correctly be applied to both.
Hey! I'm not a guy! Wait.. You were making a general statement about cats as hats... Anyway... I agree. Anyone who disagrees and argues against a certain viewpoint is a skeptic of that view, simple.

Edited by Hasina, 05 October 2012 - 06:26 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#33    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostHasina, on 05 October 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

Anyone who disagrees and argues against a certain viewpoint is a skeptic of that view, simple.

No, they are an opponent of that view. A skeptic examines the facts and deduces what is either proven, more likely, etc. For instance, ESP. An opponent of the view that ESP exists will say that ESP is rubbish.

A skeptic will say something like that there has been little or no credible evidence for the existance of ESP, that under controlled conditions ESP has failed to manifiest itself however it may exist... just that no-one has yet been able to prove it.

#34    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,587 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

skeptical  is just another word for doubtful .    skeptic is not some grandiose title... it simply means a person has doubts... *about something.. or is not easily convinced

skeptical |ˈskeptikəl| ( Brit. sceptical)
adjective
1 not easily convinced; having doubts or reservations : the public were deeply skeptical about some of the proposals.
2 Philosophy relating to the theory that certain knowledge is impossible.

Edited by lightly, 06 October 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#35    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,116 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 05 October 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Nice description of why hardly anybody takes anything you say seriously.

They may not take me seriously, but they sure like to talk about what I post about. :w00t:   Sometimes Kluge & MID post pages of vitriol in response to my posts.

Orwell noted that if the language can be corrupted, what follows naturally is that thought processes are then corrupted.

So today, after 11 years of story telling in the Goebbels tradition, men calling themselves skeptics believe the most outrageous story ever told, and told to them by a government well known for its mendacity.

Yes, corrupt the language.

#36    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,304 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 06 October 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

They may not take me seriously, but they sure like to talk about what I post about. :w00t:   Sometimes Kluge & MID post pages of vitriol in response to my posts.

Careful, that could be construed as an admission of trolling.... :o

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons, 06 October 2012 - 03:38 PM.

iheartsugarbear

#37    hacktorp

hacktorp

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 06 October 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Careful, that could be construed as an admission of trolling.... :o

I sure hope you're kidding...BR's posts are always thoughtful and well-stated.  The same can't be said for many of those who cast stones his way, unfortunately.

Perhaps a better word to use would have been 'mis-construed'.

#38    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,304 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

View Posthacktorp, on 06 October 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

I sure hope you're kidding...BR's posts are always thoughtful and well-stated.  The same can't be said for many of those who cast stones his way, unfortunately.

Perhaps a better word to use would have been 'mis-construed'.
No, I meant what I said. If a person is being deliberately disruptive or posting just to cause a reaction, then that by definition is trolling. Period.

iheartsugarbear

#39    JamesThomas

JamesThomas

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostLiquid Gardens, on 05 October 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

Hmmm, maybe I'm not getting it but that seems contradictory.  If they trust the mainstream the way I think you mean it then they're not skeptics, almost by definition; maybe you mean 'self-proclaimed skeptics'.  And sometimes people don't trust the mainstream, they agree with the mainstream, because some of what constitutes the mainstream is, well, factual.

True, and in that respect they'd be skeptical.  A key part of being a skeptic though is to apply that same level of skepticism, or even better more, to their own beliefs and conclusions; on that front there are definitely some CTs who come up short.

Actually I think you are getting it. It seems everything is upside down. At least that's way it seems to be within my small group of associates and friends. The people who say they are a "skeptic", almost 100% of the time agree with the mainstream press and the government on an issue. It's the "conspiracy" "nut jobs", like me who question authority and the mass prevailing beliefs. According to basic definitions, it should be the other way around, shouldn't it? Or have I just wigged-out...and am seeing things that are not here?

"Every man’s world picture is and always remains a construct of his mind, and cannot be proved to have any other existence." -- Erwin Schrödinger

#40    Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Skeptic is a meaningless label in my eyes, the people that call themselves one make it sound like a job. It makes skepticism sound extreme, because it implies that you're supposed to be skeptical of absolutely everything whether is be things actually worth of skepticism, the paranormal, ect or totally ridicules things like doubt whether or not the sun will rise.  I see skepticism as a practice that should be carried out and demonstrated in situations where it should be applied, not a silly fashion statement. IMO.

Edited by Thomas J, 06 October 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#41    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,116 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 06 October 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

No, I meant what I said. If a person is being deliberately disruptive or posting just to cause a reaction, then that by definition is trolling. Period.

Thanks for the kind words Hacktorp.

The vast majority of my posts here at UM are with good people who are courteous and receive the same.  I enjoy posting here because of that.

I do not mean to disrupt anything at all.  Some posters are less courteous than others.  Some posts are less courteous than others.  

We're here to discuss opinions.  Nobody can control the personalities of others, here on the internet.

#42    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostJamesThomas, on 04 October 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

According to the dictionary a sceptic (skeptic) is:
1. a person who habitually doubts the authenticity of accepted beliefs
2. a person who mistrusts people, ideas, etc, in general

What the hell happened?!!!

Now days a skeptic is a *snip* who parrots the mainstream of media and closed-minded science.

And the person who doubts authority is now a "Conspiracy Theorist".

What's going on?

Good observation mate. Can I use it as signature?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#43    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,116 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

The modern connotation of the word is rather an example of Orwell's observation that if the language can be corrupted, the logical result is a corruption of the thought processes.

There is a comical quality to it--men who believe outlandish government stories describe themselves as being skeptics. :w00t:

#44    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

i'm skeptical of the definition of skeptical.

#45    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostCorp, on 05 October 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

how about a gal who wears a cat for a hat?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users