Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Guidance from God

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

I've been helping some charities and in talking to one of them that works with Churches, I casually mentioned that my life was at a crossroads and I wasn't sure which path was best to take next.  He said he took his guidance from the Lord.  Does this make sense?

1) I don't want any cheats.  I want to live my own life.  If an all-knowing god came to me and told me to take a certain path, I would feel cheated.  I don't want to be a robot following blindly at instructions from a higher being.  If one ends up being a mistake, so be it.  At least I got to do it my way.  Wanting to know the right answer is about fear.

2) *Should* I take it, if told the 'right' path?  I might want to purposely make the mistake just for the ride.

3) It presupposes one path in life is better than the other.  Is what an Amish do less valuable than an engineer, or a doctor, or an astronaut, or an assembly line worker, or a preacher, or anything else benign?  A path may be better in one way, and the other in a different way.  Some would let their spirits be crushed (figuratively) work-wise in exchange for making a lot more money (can't imagine a god saying, "screw it, take the money!").  Some would rather have little money but creative freedom.  Some would be content having an honest paying job.

However, now and then I hear someone say, "let God guide the way", or "I take my guidance from God", or something similar.

If you could literally have God tell you what path is best for you, would you?

#2    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,206 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

View Postranrod, on 05 October 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

No.

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
Jewish gematria # 629:
The holy bible
Demonic inspiration

#3    Really Swell

Really Swell

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

• "When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you."

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

No, I wouldn't. Then what would be the point in living? That's like taking a test and having the answers written on the inside of your hand. Life is about learning experiences. It's about growing as a person from these experiences. If you don't get to choose your own path, then it's not your path.

In my opinion, I think one should live their life according to what they feel in their heart is right, and not by some notions that a higher power is going to give you a life changing answer. View your entire life from outside the box, then search deep within yourself for the answer.

#4    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

When it comes to God(?), "if" doesn't compute. Besides, the way I'm getting my God(?), It is not in this world. God(?) is completely in a different reality. It seems to me you already know your path. On the other hand, most people would rather just live out their lives, unless something triggers this searching-for-god mode, like catastrophic personal event(s) for example -- ouch. Everything has a season, so people say. Is it the same as a time-released medication? That, I don't know. All I know is the story of my life...too well.

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u, 05 October 2012 - 05:25 AM.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist )    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008232820397
According to Gnosticism, Christ came to world to give us a way out; so, why is Gnosticism so secretive and elitist when it comes to salvation??
Eileen Ford speaks candidly about supermodels: "...And they have to be cheerful. Nobody likes to go in and hear your troubles, you know. When people ask you how you feel, don't tell them if you're sick, 'cause they don't really care."

#5    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

God is nearer than you think. "the kingdom of heaven is within you". You already have God if full measure as much as anyone who ever lived, the only thing that bars the way is wilfulness, as long as it holds sway, you remain estranged from God. Until you can truly say, "thy will be done". Millions mutter those words daily without realising their true import.

#6    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

I think you should choose your own path.. Dont let religion or anyone tell you what to do or how to live your own life.
As Habitat said, "the kingdom of heaven is within you", and it is your choice and your path to choose however you wish...

Don't even think about money.. Think only of what you want to do..

#7    sutemi

sutemi

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Socrates said ,'know thy self', forget religion, look within yourself. As Prof T and Habitat said the creative force is within you it is Life Itself. Meditaion is the medication.
"I looked for God and found myself" a persian saying.

#8    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,897 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Well my sig pretty much concurs with what has been said so far.  To "let God guide the way" is not what many imagine.  It is really what is true to you that is the material guide, your conscience speaks all the time, when you learn to listen and comprehend what it is telling you then the saying "let God guide the way" can be reconciled - to a degree.

Free will is paramount, telling others what to do or doing what others tell you to do are just battles for supremacy or docile submission.  You have your own internal engine and it will drive you, the questions you ask and answers you seek pretty much say it all.  If I were you, I would be pretty content with that questing mind.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#9    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Ramrod this is God, go ahead take the money :clap: Excellent question, I try not to let outside sources (god, family, friends, government, sociaity) dictate my life, I don't always succeed...but like you said at least I'M making the mistakes

What could possibly go wrong?

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,958 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

To become the person you are now, did you read, listen to instructors or mentors to learn how to live in a way that is productive and that makes you happy?  Most people will have to answer yes.  If a person actually believes God exists then the question becomes whether or not you will listen to His instructions and use the knowledge to make a better, happier life for yourself.  It's not miraculous (usually) but it cannot happen without willingness.  If one does not believe in God the point is immaterial.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#11    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

I agree with most here.  I think it doesn't work in the converse either: Should God give you the answer? (assuming he has nothing better to do than give people career advice).  If the stakes where higher, hypothetically speaking, I can see people asking God as a last-resort.  It seemed like the fellow I was talking to did it about any little mundane thing in his life.  However, the way I read some responses here, that notion of God may equate to a non-believer notion of the subconscious.  For reference, in my case one option does have a whole lot of money, but very unhappy doing it.  Probably develop some psychosomatic medical issues along the way.  The other option is cool, exciting, and very difficult, but I might end up in the poor house after a year.  Basically sell my soul to a large monolithic corporation, or try to make it on my own.  Tough choice.

Edited by ranrod, 05 October 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#12    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Nope.

#13    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

This Abrahamic god is a jealous and vengeful slavemaster. Besides, it is not any god that tells you how to behave, it is the people who control the written word about this god. They are puppeteers, and I will not be their puppet.

#14    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,779 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

You do realise that when others have followed the guidance of god it has led to any number of horrific things!? (Good things too of course, but I guess it just depends if you are up for playing the odds...)

Posted Image

#15    the eternal me

the eternal me

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

View Postranrod, on 05 October 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

I agree with most here.  I think it doesn't work in the converse either: Should God give you the answer? (assuming he has nothing better to do than give people career advice).  If the stakes where higher, hypothetically speaking, I can see people asking God as a last-resort.  It seemed like the fellow I was talking to did it about any little mundane thing in his life.  However, the way I read some responses here, that notion of God may equate to a non-believer notion of the subconscious.  For reference, in my case one option does have a whole lot of money, but very unhappy doing it.  Probably develop some psychosomatic medical issues along the way.  The other option is cool, exciting, and very difficult, but I might end up in the poor house after a year.  Basically sell my soul to a large monolithic corporation, or try to make it on my own.  Tough choice.

ok ..... so you summed it up there....

either way is a path of learning....

me thinks your not asking so much about what would "god" want me to do.....
as what rings true more to myself.....

a true loving god would want you to become the most that you can be...

and that only comes from the learning of experience....

either choice will enrich your life.....

on the one hand....

if you have lived hand to mouth.....
then a job that offers you money?
offers you the ability to live some of the dreams you have had, more then just the mundane repetitiveness ...
but that is in how you deal with it...

to try it on your own?
well.... there is the other choice....

if you are good at what you do?....
and more people see the worth in your work?....
then the money will come....
and you will have the means to live out some of your dreams...

its the fear of failure that holds us all back....

so i guess the choice is more simple then just this way or that way....

it would boil down to ....

what are your non work related goals?
and what are you willing to do to achieve them?

travelling the world takes money..... (just as an example)

and do those goals have anything to do with money?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users