Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Study finds birth control cuts abortion rates

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostHasina, on 05 October 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

I wonder if (or hopefully when) they produce male birth control, will that be paid for by insurance agencies?

YES!

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#17    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostHasina, on 05 October 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

I wonder if (or hopefully when) they produce male birth control, will that be paid for by insurance agencies?
I would never take that.  Probably give you testicular cancer.  Condoms work for me and I don't mind paying for them either.

#18    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostOverSword, on 05 October 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

I would never take that.  Probably give you testicular cancer.  Condoms work for me and I don't mind paying for them either.
Yes, the hypothetical drug gives you cancer.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#19    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostOverSword, on 05 October 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Your emotionalism about the subject will change nothing.  The president's decree of free this that or the other is not free.  It will cost you, or if you get your insurance through your employer it will cost your employer.  If insurance becomes expensive enough eventually your employer will just stop offerring it.  Then since there is a law you must have it then you will be required to purchase it all on your own.  Still like this healthcare reform?  Who knows maybe that's the governments plan.  By the year 2020 one out of five dollars in our economy is projected to be a healthcare dollar, do you think the government wouldn't want total control over that?

Emotionalism, that's a new one, I like it. I never said I liked Obamacare. That is the one thing I have no strong opinion on either way...
But since being in a field gives you a more valid say, my wife works in the field, a 4 year RN working in a hospital. In her free time she researches the healthcare system and specifically the birthing industry. We have watched numberous documentaries on the topic. The ones on the birthing industry are mind blowing. We have the highest infant mortality rate and maternal death rate in developed countries. We also have the highest healthcare costs in the world and the most total money going to healthcare, yet we cover few people and give them poorer treatment than other developed countries.

Taiwan was looking for a new healthcare system so they got a group of Ph.D.s to study all the healthcare systems of the world to find the best. They were asked about the U.S. model and they said that is the perfect example of how NOT to do things.

The fact of the matter is that we have a crappy healthcare system compared to other developed countires and it needs to change to cover more people, be cheaper, and be better in general. We need a massive change and a massive overhaul. People like you can sit around and accept it. I hope for, and hopefully fight for, change.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#20    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostHasina, on 05 October 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

Yes, the hypothetical drug gives you cancer.
You have to admit that taking a drug that would make you sterile would seem dangerous.  It's a little more indepth than a pill that tricks your body into thinking it's alread pregnant.  I could just see all of the nightmare side effects from that 20 years down the road.

#21    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostOverSword, on 05 October 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

So hard not to make a joke here...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...

#22    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostOverSword, on 05 October 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

You have to admit that taking a drug that would make you sterile would seem dangerous.  It's a little more indepth than a pill that tricks your body into thinking it's alread pregnant.  I could just see all of the nightmare side effects from that 20 years down the road.
One reason there isn't one, it's hard to make. I never said it wouldn't have it's problems, but thinking female birth control is totes safe is silly, it's not. One reason I prefer abstinence over birth control and birth control over abortions. Don't want to get pregnant? Don't want to get someone pregnant? Don't bloody do it.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#23    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostHasina, on 05 October 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

One reason there isn't one, it's hard to make. I never said it wouldn't have it's problems, but thinking female birth control is totes safe is silly, it's not. One reason I prefer abstinence over birth control and birth control over abortions. Don't want to get pregnant? Don't want to get someone pregnant? Don't bloody do it.

And what is life all about then? Eat chocolate until you liken a whale?

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#24    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

So life is all about doing the do now? Sure, when you want babies, but why does it have to be a recreational sport to most people?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#25    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostHasina, on 05 October 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

So life is all about doing the do now? Sure, when you want babies, but why does it have to be a recreational sport to most people?

Who said something about recreational sport, for me it would be totally irresponsible at my age to father any children, just as an example. But sex still is important in my relationship.

about me

#26    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 05 October 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

Emotionalism, that's a new one, I like it. I never said I liked Obamacare. That is the one thing I have no strong opinion on either way...
But since being in a field gives you a more valid say, my wife works in the field, a 4 year RN working in a hospital. In her free time she researches the healthcare system and specifically the birthing industry. We have watched numberous documentaries on the topic. The ones on the birthing industry are mind blowing. We have the highest infant mortality rate and maternal death rate in developed countries. We also have the highest healthcare costs in the world and the most total money going to healthcare, yet we cover few people and give them poorer treatment than other developed countries.

Taiwan was looking for a new healthcare system so they got a group of Ph.D.s to study all the healthcare systems of the world to find the best. They were asked about the U.S. model and they said that is the perfect example of how NOT to do things.

The fact of the matter is that we have a crappy healthcare system compared to other developed countires and it needs to change to cover more people, be cheaper, and be better in general. We need a massive change and a massive overhaul. People like you can sit around and accept it. I hope for, and hopefully fight for, change.
I won't get into great detail here on why our healthcare is so expensive but next time you go to the doctor take a close look at your bill. You will see the doctor is charging say $5,000.00 for the procedure.  The bill will say the insurance company has paid $800, the amount a preferred provider has agreed to accept for this procedure.  your copay lets say is 10% so $80.00.  You will see that there is a discrepancy of $4,120.00.  That where the IRS comes in.  This $4,120.00 is a tax write off for the doctor or hospital.  The IRS is the reason healthcare costs are through the roof.  If you don't have insurance you will be expected to pay $5000 dollars instead $80 or even $880.  The IRS and hospitals greed are the real reason healthcare costs are through the roof but you never ever hear any politicians addressing this.

#27    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Biologically speaking, that is what life is all about...why do people do it a lot? It is in our DNA, it ensures our survival. Some people just don't have any self control...

My "about me" page...

#28    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

If the cost of abortions and unwanted births were to come into it, wouldn't free birth control counter this?  I would think that $15 per month for birth control would be a hell of a lot cheaper than an abortion.  Preventative measures, people.

Yeah, I agree, but life happens and we don't always make  great decisions, especially when alcohol is added in the mix.  So, let's look at the 'what if' before it happens.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#29    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Exactly.  We've been hypnotized into believing that sex is the be all end all.  It's not.

#30    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 05 October 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Who said something about recreational sport, for me it would be totally irresponsible at my age to father any children, just as an example. But sex still is important in my relationship.
True, and when people are responsible, it's their prerogative to do it. For myself though? No thank you, lol.

Posted Image

~MEH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users